Welcome to the Café > Have a Question About the Site?

Cafe flooded with spamers and possible hackers

(1/2) > >>

Rollingrock:
Members of the Cafe

We are for some reason experiencing a ton of requests to gain access to the cafe, most of these are bots and spammers and possibly hackers looking for a way in. 

This is why we have disabled open registration here.   If you happen to visit the site and it appears down or hacked, please bear with us while we take measures to get up and running and block this stuff.

As a precaution, your passwords need to be pretty darn tough to crack...so if you think you have weak password, please take a few moments and log in the Cafe and change your password to something difficult! 

Thanks

Cafe Team

Merlin:
Spammers suck! It is useless and futile for them. Why do they even do it? I have no idea.
Maybe they think that if they spam a forum they will get thousands of orders for whatever product they hacked and posted.
Now does that make any sense to you? Do they actually believe that forum users are that stupid?

I agree it IS getting worse. Possibly moderated only registration is an option that may be required.
I know it is sad that it's necessary to lock out open registration due to annoying global spamming.

Rollingrock:

--- Quote from: Merlin on November 16, 2012, 05:55:25 AM ---Spammers suck! It is useless and futile for them. Why do they even do it? I have no idea.
Maybe they think that if they spam a forum they will get thousands of orders for whatever product they hacked and posted.
Now does that make any sense to you? Do they actually believe that forum users are that stupid?

I agree it IS getting worse. Possibly moderated only registration is an option that may be required.
I know it is sad that it's necessary to lock out open registration due to annoying global spamming.

--- End quote ---

Yup, we got hit by 85 requests last night...we do currently have a Admin/Mod approval process to each person registering.   When our site got hacked last time we decided to do that.   

Rollingrock:
Folks

I have closed the Cafe Registration process for a few days to calm this stuff down.   Will watch it over the next week but if you know of anyone that really wants to join, we can do it manually or they can wait a few days.

Cheers

gipraw:

--- Quote from: Rollingrock on November 16, 2012, 10:00:37 AM ---Folks

I have closed the Cafe Registration process for a few days to calm this stuff down.   Will watch it over the next week but if you know of anyone that really wants to join, we can do it manually or they can wait a few days.

Cheers

--- End quote ---

my in box thanks you ..   

Hopefully they will get bored and go somewhere else

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version