General Category > The Soap Box

Ok, I am offically pissed off....(ball joints)

(1/2) > >>

Rollingrock:
So two weeks ago last Wed (31st) I took my truck to a new shop that everyone is talking about locally, how good they are etc.

So I take my truck there and decide to fix my passenger ball joints and replace a busted tie rod end...and I was happy to pay the price to get my hub seals fixed as I have not had 4x4 for almost a year and a half. 

So they get that done, but cannot align the truck now b.c the drivers side ball joints were seated improperly...who knew.   So they were able to patch it up and I was on my way to hunt opening weekend and made arrangements to bring the truck back the following Monday to fix the drivers side ball joints and re align.

So I did that.  Monday the 5th rolled around and they were not able to complete the job b/c they didn't have the right caster parts to adjust settings...so they asked me to bring it back on Friday when I got back from Miami. 

So I did that, they finally got the right caster parts but the truck still pulls to the right.   And now the worst part, I am supposed to go back Monday am to get them to adjust the alignment but now I have a bigger problem...no 4x4 on the drivers side now.  The vac leak has now moved from the passenger side to the divers side. 

So now I have to tell them to redo the entire drivers side and install new hub seals and THEN realign the truck which will probably result in them not having the right casters yet again.

So guys now pissed would you be and what would you tell them?   I am 1100 bucks in this project now and I am f'n pissed off.   

Should I cut my losses and go pay another mechanic to get the job done and be out of pocket even more money?

Too Stroked:
JP,

First of all, I totally agree that your situation sucks. Unfortunately, without talking to the mechanic and looking at your truck, it's tough to say what's really wrong and what you should do next.

The only advice I would give you is to ask for some sort of warranty on the work they do. That's the best you can hope for. As for your Ball Joints lasting such a short period of time, all I can say is that even on our plow trucks, we get more life than that out of them. Of course we're putting Ford OEM parts back into them too.

The other thing you might want to think about is a new truck. I know you don't want to hear that, but there's a reason the cops get rid of their partol cars around 100,000 miles. Sure, you can keep them running a lot longer (my son has 175,000 on his), but the repairs and unscheduled downtime just isn't worth it.

Tom

Rollingrock:
Tom, thanks

A new truck is not in the cards...it would cost me so much money out of pocket to get a new one...hitch, liner, system swap  etc.

They do offer a 12 month 12K warranty on all parts and labor so I am just going to tell them to take the side down to the knuckle and replace the two seals and start over. 

As for the ball joints going...I truly believe this Tom, they were not put in right the last time and I did them not at the same time.  About a year apart.   I could see that the bottom ball joint castle nut wasn't even tight to the top of the knuckle causing it to bind, thus this time, I decided to do them all at the same time.   

The pissy part for me is my vac leak is now on the drivers side.  I pulled the line and capped it then tested my 4x4 and I didn't loose vac (dash vents stayed on dash and didn't go to defrost default, which would indicate a vac leak)  then put the line back in place, instant vac leak.   This will cause my pump to run and run and thus burn up.

So you bet your ass I am calling them Monday morning and they are going to see my truck Tuesday until its finished.

Too Stroked:
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan to me. Hope everything works out for ya!

GreyMichFX4:
Damn JP! that suck's hope you get it fixed this time. I'm not even going to tell you what I spent on my truck two weeks ago. Let's just say I could have bought a decent used car and leave it at that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version