1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: How often do you correct your paint?  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
How often do you correct your paint?
« on: October 21, 2012, 09:40:21 PM »
How often do you guys correct your paint? Anything from major paint damage (minor wreck) to water spots or light swirls.

Every couple of weeks? every season? etc what all correcting do you end up doing?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: How often do you correct your paint?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:30 PM »
How often do you guys correct your paint? Anything from major paint damage (minor wreck) to water spots or light swirls.

Every couple of weeks? every season? etc what all correcting do you end up doing?
Tough question to answer really.  Everyone is different...but really the key is to "minimize" how much you correct by using proper techniques on washing, drying etc. 

I am getting more wise with with my paint...the better I care for it, the less I have to work on it.   That said, I have 3 new scratches that span the entire lengh of the passenger side....but I also think they are very superficial into the Opti-Coat....which I will correct and re apply. 

At the same time, as anyone who knows me, I am probably getting to the end of life of my clear.  ;)   But who knows. 

the side I need to correct does have some newer clear on it from a prior event.    But still. 

Again the best way to avoid correction is to take care of your paint.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:56:51 PM »
For me it's usually a couple of times a year where I do a "full paint detail" with paint correction. Usually it's once in the Spring and once in the Fall. Other than that I usually clay and wax about four times a year. I will pull out the DA if there has been some out of the ordinary scratches or marring and then lay down some protection.

It is really a matter of personal preference and how tolerant you are of paint defects or marring. If you are happy with your paint, don't correct it, but protect it regularly. I'm pretty lucky where my vehicle doesn't really see highway travel and is parked inside all day at work. Since the climate in Vancouver is very mild (As far as Canada goes), I don't see any salt of sanding either other than in very rare cases.

As RR states, it is really important to do what you can to reduce the marring of the paint. Most damage is due to washing, so follow the basics and keep whatever is touching your paint to a minimum.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:25 AM »
Like JP, I'm (slowly) learning how to not need to correct my paint as often. Although I now know how to correct paint, I also know that correction takes paint off and therefore you have a limited number of times you can do it. That said, I generally do some form of correction about twice a year. I should also add that darker colors will show the need to correct more often because they don't hide imperfections as well as my favorite color - white.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »
Two things dictate it for me.. need, and free time .. when those intersect, I take care of it ..  It usually ends up being once a year or so ..

================

Doug

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »
Hmm I'm starting to look at paint thickness gauges. Especially after hearing RR say his clear is getting thin.

* Recent Photos

06 Fusion

Views: 4
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal