1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Paint science help  (Read 2608 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Paint science help
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »
So it looks like we may be painting the Jeep this winter. I had planned on rolling on some Rustoleum (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?40341-My-quot-rustoleum-50-roll-on-paint-job-quot), but it looks like we may get to be a bit more high speed. It turns out one of the maintenance test pilots here has a paint booth set up at his house. I told him about the Jeep and now he's all excited to spray it for me.

Here's the color we're wanting to go with (something similar anyway..)

The guy at work says I need a paint that works with "Base Maker". First of all, I'm wondering what that means, if anybody knows.

Next, I'm wondering if I can start with a polyurethane epoxy primer. I can acquire some aircraft grade stuff, and I think it'll be better than any other rattle can primer I can get. The only thing is, I'm not sure if it's meant to mingle with automotive grade base coats. I don't know all the science behind this stuff.

I'd like to get all the prep work done before I bring the Jeep to him so that he's not stuck helping me block it all out and stuff when he's doing this just for fun.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Edit: On another note - he says he can do either a base coat/clear coat job or a single stage, whichever I want. The only advantage I can think of to SS is I wouldn't have to worry as much if I had to correct some trail scratches or something as I wouldn't have to do color and clear. I think I want a 2-stage job, but just thought I'd ask you guys as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:19:27 PM by attworth »

* Recent Photos

After Polishing

Views: 2
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal