1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: So which one????????????  (Read 18861 times)

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
So which one????????????
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »
Okay guys....shoot.  Might have to replace the G110.  Flex or PC? Something else?
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Re: So which one????????????
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
If your choice is only one machine, then I would suggest a PC .. 

The best answer is a PC and a Flex, but that can be cost prohibitive.

The reason I say PC and not Flex for a single machine is that the Flex does a lot of stuff very well, but it sucks for non corrective uses, like applying wax, sealants, cleaners and glazes where you just want a machine to spread stuff for you.  A PC is much better for that.

The Flex is loud and heavy, and very difficult to use one handed, which limits its use.  It is a great machine, and I use the hell out of it, but if I could only have one machine, excluding a rotary, it would be a PC.

The G110 is my personal choice, because I like the balance in my hand better than any of the others. The Griot's machine seems to have some more power, but I am not a fan.  My opinion of the Griot's machine is not in line with most other people's opinions of it, but they all like it based on the power.  I don't need my PC to be powerful, so the biggest selling piont of the Griot's doesn't matter to me like it seems to matter to everyone else.

If this is going to be your only machine, I could see some benefit to having a little extra power, which the Griot's provides.

What is wrong with the G110 ?

================

Doug

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:16:07 PM »
Thanks Gip.  Great information.

I was applying wax to the wife's highlander and somehow managed to step on the cord and simultaneously yank on it in the opposite directions with my hands.  It was enough to actually break the hot wire inside the unit. 

I actually tore it apart this weekend and have already fixed it, so I'm back in business.  I like my G110 as well, but it's getting pretty beat up.  With that said, I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I thought it was comparable with other market models.  Your rievew helped me with that.  Most likely I'll buy another and/or a PC when the time comes.  The PC was my 2nd choice; didn't know anything about the flex really.

Thanks again!!!!
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
I have three machines; a Porter-Cable 7424, a Flex 3401 and a DeWalt Rotary. Here?s my likes and dislikes for each

PC Likes: Lightweight, inexpensive to purchase, easy to handle (can be used with one hand), relatively small so it fits in tight places.

PC Dislikes: No correction power to speak of with foam pads, cost $80 to replace part of the main motor housing when the side handle stripped out.

Flex Likes: Reasonable correction power with foam pads, relatively lightweight, my go to machine.

Flex Dislikes: Can be a bit of a handful occasionally, don?t try one handing it, awfully expensive to buy.

DeWalt Likes: More correction power than you could ever need, has a nice hefty feel to it, reasonable purchase price (cheaper than the Flex).

DeWalt Dislikes: Can get you in trouble in a heartbeat if you?re not careful, maybe a bit too hefty.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »
I've been using the same PC for like 7 years and I use it every single day, it has been a workhorse.  I love the overall quality of the PC, one of these days I might break down and get a 7424XP lol.

For major correction I use a Hitachi rotary, I've been very happy with this as well, a lot lighter than most rotaries and I really like the trigger. 

If you do decide to get a PC, I'm running a special on them right now!  :cool:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 10:34:55 PM »
I have a PC 7424xp ( my 7424 liberated from the wood shop has seen better days so I replaced it ) a Flex and a Makita rotary.

I use the Flex for everything.  Dirt easy for applying LSP on speed one, gets a nice thin coat and correction it works the best for me, quick and to the point.  When I use the Opti MF pads, need to slow it down a bit number wise vs what the directions say to ( written for the G110v2 ).  I have the LC pad adapter for it, so the flex can take 4" to 6.5" pads.

I only take out my PC anymore when I need to use a 3" pad on something, it has not had a backing plate other than the one for the 3" pads with the rotary to DA adapter on it.

My rotary only got used 1 time, else the primary function for it is cleaning pads on the Gritguard pad cleaner. when I got the Flex I found I did not really need it.

I had a G110 ( the 1st version, not the v2 ) and I was not impressed compared to my 72424 liberated from the wood shop.  it might have had a faster no load spin, but orange pad and M-81 polishing it was not light years ahead of the old PC.  I bought into the marketing material that is was more powerful.  I gave it to my sister to apply LSP.

If you have a working machine now, don't bother replacing it but if you are in the market and can afford it go with the Flex.  If you want to save a little bit and get a 2 for 1, go with a good variable speed rotary and the Dynabrade adapter on it.  I almost went this route ( selectable button to switch between forced rotation DA and rotary function ).  The Dynabrade adapter has the largest orbit arc out of them all at 0.75".  The one I tried I did not push the forced rotation DA past 2.5K RPM setting, but I have seen where others have gone to the end of the dial without issue ( not sure what the conversion is for Rotary to Dynabrade motion ).

I just did a follow up polish on the G6 and a coat of Menz PL with it, and the F150 has gotten 3 coats of PL on it since SAT.  I don't find single hand LSP application to be an issue with it, as well as follow up polishing.  I would not try doing correction with it or single handing a MF pad, but black / blue / red foam no problem.

I have the Makita DA - forced rotation DA ( got this to replace the PC when I cleaned it out replaced the brushes and moved it to garage duty ).  That is a monster, I would feel it after doing the truck with that tank, the flex is nowhere near that.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
Its a DOG PILE !!!!!

I have 2 Rotary's (used them both 2 times each)  (Would love to sell my Dewalt...its basically brand new)
1 Flex
2 DA's    (7424 and a new 7424XP)

I am a HUGE fan of the Flex, it has 98% of the umph I need for correction even with foam pads etc. All product lines work very well.  I agree with Gip, its loud, I usually wear ear plugs...no chit.   I can run it with one hand pending the product I am using and pad combo.   No way I would run a flex with one hand with a PFW pad.   

I use my Flex with mainly with Lake Pads...all sixes but not the 3" pads.  I use my PC for that.

There isn't much I cannot correct with my Flex.   

THAT ALL SAID.   While I love all the products I use.   Given the new Megs MF system and pads, they work like chit on the Flex...so that is why I picked up the 7424XP .

If you were going to get one machine....hard one to pick but at the price, hard to beat a 7424....but it would never hurt to have a Flex IF you are using Poorboys, Menzerna, Optimum and a whole host of other products.

If you are going to use the Megs MF system, a DA is what is designed for.

That is my .02 on it...spend it wisely  (not my phrase, I stole it)

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 12:24:52 AM by Need4racin »

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:23 AM »
Thanks a lot guys.  That gives me a lot to consider before I pull the trigger.  Gonna stick w/ my 110 for now but I'm leaning hard towards the 7424....might pick one up soon.  I don't do enough correction work to justify the flex.  Sounds like the PC is a good option.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html with $29 coupon or 20% off and free item.

Remember that with Harbor Freight stuff, you pretty much get what you pay for. Virtually everything there was made in China and is of (at best) questionable quality. And the link is to a full rotary too. That's not a tool for just anybody to pick up and use successfully.

Offline Pockets

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
we have pretty much stopped using the PC except for spot work with 4" pads .. the Flex is just a great investment that you won't regret, but if you are not doing a lot of correction and don't mind the vibration, the PC is a true and tested workhorse

we have both in stock  PC $140 with a 6" backing plate  Flex $330 with free carry bag..

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 11:40:53 AM »
we have pretty much stopped using the PC except for spot work with 4" pads .. the Flex is just a great investment that you won't regret, but if you are not doing a lot of correction and don't mind the vibration, the PC is a true and tested workhorse

we have both in stock  PC $140 with a 6" backing plate  Flex $330 with free carry bag..

That is a good price for the Flex.....just saying.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
Remember that with Harbor Freight stuff, you pretty much get what you pay for. Virtually everything there was made in China and is of (at best) questionable quality. And the link is to a full rotary too. That's not a tool for just anybody to pick up and use successfully.

No doubt there. There's quite a few paint/body guys using them. Sometimes they do go bad and you might have to take it apart and look for a broken solder or replace the on/off switch with something that will work. If you're mechanically inclined it's good for the price. Best way to learn is to fail a few times. If you're practicing on a beater that mess up won't hurt very much.

Offline Merlin

• Café Member
    • Quicksilver Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »
I recently purchase a Rupes Bigfoot LHR21ES Random Orbital Polisher 21MM.
I also purchased a 5" backing plate. Looking forward to getting some time on it.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »
I recently purchase a Rupes Bigfoot LHR21ES Random Orbital Polisher 21MM.
I also purchased a 5" backing plate. Looking forward to getting some time on it.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Merlin

I got my Rupes 21 about a month ago and also have the 5 inch backing plate with it.  Great machine, totally worth the extra money if you are going to be doing a lot of vehicles.  It is still easier to use another polisher to get into tighter areas.

* Recent Photos

IMG_0910.JPG

Views: 6
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal