Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Opti Coat question / Help  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Opti Coat question / Help
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »
Hey guys

Got an issue.    I recently put the opti-coat on my KR.   While at the ranch last weekend a dog put her paws on the rear QTR panel and left some scratches.

I was pretty pissed to say the least.   So when I got home, washed the area, got the DA out with the Megs MF system and in no less than 15 seconds the scratches were out.   I was shocked.   

So the question is, did the dog really just scratch the Opti-Coat?   Is that tough?   

Follow up...now that I had to spot treat 2 areas...how do i prep that whole QTR panel for a redo of Opti-Coat? 

polish the whole thing and re apply?   

Thanks RR

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
Re: Opti Coat question / Help
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
J

Opti Coat does actually add some more protection to the clear and will help minimize scratches.

I would just use a compound and do the whole panel, then finishing polish followed by the Opti Coat.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
J

Opti Coat does actually add some more protection to the clear and will help minimize scratches.

I would just use a compound and do the whole panel, then finishing polish followed by the Opti Coat.

Figured that....well let me be someone who says, that chit works b/c the dog only scratched the Opti-Coat.  I was so pissed I didn't get photos or video, but now that I know,  if it happens again, I will be providing a great video of how bad ass this stuff is.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
The recoat, I keep seeing the times change on it from Chris.
- One time it is recoat in 15 to 30 min without any additional work, but after 2 days you need to at least polish the surface, the next it is recoat up to 30 days. :dunno:

I still follow the rough the surface up directions from before, so at the very least you would want to go with a polish of the whole panel, and do a wipe down before re OC'ing the whole panel.
- Even with HyperPolish I still follow up with a GG pre wax cleaner or IPA mix wipe down.  Chris now says Hyper Polish just needs a water damp MF wipe down  :dunno: :dunno:

I have been trying to keep with body panel to body panel on other than my own vehicles.
- I did the lower rocker panels on my F150 and have not had an issue YET.  Long term don't know if it is a good idea.
Steve

* Recent Photos

DSC01169.JPG

Views: 1
By: texbigred1

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal