April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Using the washing to clean pads  (Read 5043 times)

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
Using the washing to clean pads
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
Yesterday I was cleaning around the house and found my Wizard rotory pads that I stuffed above the fridge last July and forgot about (I also forgot to clean them :moody:). I decided to soak them in hot water first with Murphy's Oil Soap then I drained the water rinsed the pads, next I worked Murphy's oil soap into the pads by hand and rinsed them again. I was not totally happy with how they came out so I decided to try the washing machine set on HD cycle, hot water, extra rinse, and set on medium load size with a little more Murphy's. I was really surprised at how they clean they were when I took them out and the spin cycle takes about 90% of the water out. So this got me thinking even more, (pretty dangerous situation :redneck:) so I tossed them in the dryer for 20 minutes on low heat and they came out 95-99% dry so they are sitting on the kitchen counter air drying at the moment.

I also have some 6in Lakes PFW pads that I've never been able to get as clean as I would like so I'm going to throw them in and see what happens.

Had anyone else tried doing this?
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Using the washing to clean pads
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:13:12 AM »
Dave,

I do pretty much exactly the same thing - except the dryer part. I sometimes use Murphy's, but have also used Pinnacle Pad Cleaner and even just plain APC.

One thing I've learned is that the harder the pad, the more water it holds after the Spin cycle.

Tom

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:39:04 PM »
I wash my pads in the machine.  I have since the wife got new machines and I got to keep the old ones.

I wash on heavy duty, Warm/Warm. double rinse, double spin cycle, then dry them in the dryer on delicate.  Works great, just remember to only wash them once they are completely dry.  Don't wash them while the product is still wet.
================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:23:37 PM »
Don't wash them while the product is still wet.

Doug,

Why is that? I've done it both ways and never really had a problem - that I'm aware of. Doesn't the wash cycle just re-wet everything anyway?

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
I started out day one with the LC snappy pad cleaner in the bucket.

Prior to the grit guard pad washer, I did it the old hand wash and rinse and spin them on the PC ( lost a few pads that way ).

I have since moved to the Grit guard, and wash the foam pads on 1500 RPM with the solution of snappy pad cleaner in the grit guard bucket.

If the pad is really nasty, I give them 3 sprays of the GG pad cleaner, stuff works wonders.

I also use the GG pad cleaner on the MF pads, and wash them by hand against a plastic wash board in the sink.

Either route, when I am done, I give them a spin at 3K RPM on the rotary, and hand them from the velcro on the bottom of the shelves / cabinets to finish drying before storing them back in the plastic bags.

Steve @ PB is not a fan of the Murphy's oil soap for some reason, I never would have thought about trying that to clean pads. 
I got the 1st batch of snappy pad cleaning powder back when I got my first pads for the PC from Proper Auto Care.
Steve

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 09:51:02 AM »

Doug,

Why is that? I've done it both ways and never really had a problem - that I'm aware of. Doesn't the wash cycle just re-wet everything anyway?

Once it is dry and all the chemical/solvent properties have changed, it is easier to clean, and better for your washing machine.   Most of these products are petroleum based, not water based, so they clean up better after they have dried.
================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »

Doug,

Once it is dry and all the chemical/solvent properties have changed, it is easier to clean, and better for your washing machine.   Most of these products are petroleum based, not water based, so they clean up better after they have dried.

Cool! Good to know. Thanks Doug!

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
That good info Doug, I'm going to continue to use the machine to clean the pads from now on. It's makes the job so much easier.
Good enough never is

* Recent Photos

IMG_8590.JPG

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal