Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Hazy look on polished tips after megs metal polish  (Read 5555 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Hazy look on polished tips after megs metal polish
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
So while in TX, my brother in law showed me his exhaust tips are looking hazy after we detailed it last spring. He used megs metal polish on them and they looked great for a week or so. Then they started getting hazy and he hasn't messed with them. This is a turbo car and the exhaust gets very very hot cause it's only about 3' long. I'm thinking there's something in the megs polish that got left behind and it has sort of baked on. Any thoughts?

Can anybody recommend a product I can recommend to him to fix the problem and prevent it from happening again? These get dirty a lot cause of all the soot that his little turbo creates.

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
Re: Hazy look on polished tips after megs metal polish
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
I have had remarkable luck with bronze wool and Borla exhaust polish. I brought back a used roush exhaust kit for my truck with that and a stainless steel drill powered polishing kit with various Emory bars. Muffler was trashed ans is now mirror shine. Same with tips.  Upkeep is easy with the bronze wool and Borla polish. Neverdull was good, but not this good.

Mini cooper?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:17:27 PM by Truckguy24 »
John

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks Ill pass that along. Yes it's a mini. They're so quick to detail.  :redneck:

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:58 AM »
You want to make sure you use a pure polish that is "Body Shop Safe" which means that it does not have wax or silicone or anything that would effect a paint job in a body shop. Also while being body shop safe it will not leave anything behind that will haze up on exhaust tips while getting super heated.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:04:28 PM »
You want to make sure you use a pure polish that is "Body Shop Safe" which means that it does not have wax or silicone or anything that would effect a paint job in a body shop. Also while being body shop safe it will not leave anything behind that will haze up on exhaust tips while getting super heated.

Good point....My Stainless tip (insert joke there if you wish) I have to hit all the time but I have been using steel wool to clean it with metal polish.  Don't hate.   

:)

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
I wish I went Bassani lik emy '01.  The magnaflow tips are for crap, I am down to needing Ceriglass and copper wool to clean the junk tip that ships with the system.
- Plan is to change it out for a Bassani system this winter..., :wow:
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »

Good point....My Stainless tip (insert joke there if you wish) I have to hit all the time but I have been using steel wool to clean it with metal polish.  Don't hate.   

Do you think running a custom tune might change EGT's and thus make it a little harder on the tips? Just wondering.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »
Im thinking that question was for J, Tom, but I would think so.

I don't know what it is about mini but this one runs really hot. Not only will the exhaust burn you after a spirited drive, but he's bubbled up two chrome hood scoops. I guess it's normal.  :dunno:

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »

Do you think running a custom tune might change EGT's and thus make it a little harder on the tips? Just wondering.

Tom, mine is from dust, mixed with HD mixed with crap on the road etc.  It just seems to attract dirt and gunk
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

* Recent Photos

IMG_8674.JPG

Views: 10
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal