1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Picked up megs microfiber system at walmart  (Read 8518 times)

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
Picked up megs microfiber system at walmart
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »
Title says it all 81 out the door.  Can't wait to try it out!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
John

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Re: Picked up megs microfiber system at walmart
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:11:50 AM »
Nice.    let us know how you like it. 

I still have an unopened set sitting in the cabinet. I need to try it one of these days.

================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Work with me on this one. Wally World sells the microfiber system. How many talented WW shoppers are going to buy it and slap in in a cheap rotary. You know what's going to happen next right?

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:53:56 PM »
Right next to it is the G110V2.

I don't know if the typical Walmart shopper is going to buy either of them for how much over street price they seem to be around here.  I think the G110V2 was over MSRP.

I don't know what Walmart's tact was with changing out the manufacture they had in that spot to put in Megs products ( some also carry M105/M205 ). 
Guess the 3m rep got them to sign up another line of products to the master list of products that WW stocks.  See if this works long term, I don't see many buying M105/M205, only those who are in the middle of a job and run out might go there to pick some up ( considering the cost of it ).

Even if they have the Chicago Rotary, it should still work on it.  The 6" kit is marketed towards the pneumatic 6" polisher in addition to the Flex.

I have not tried it, but Megs marketing material makes it sound like it is not an issue if you follow the speed and pass directions.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:56:30 PM by sscully »
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
that sucks that WM is carrying this.   
Just my opinion....I haven't seen it in my WM yet.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 05:26:44 AM »
Right next to it is the G110V2.

I don't know if the typical Walmart shopper is going to buy either of them for how much over street price they seem to be around here.  I think the G110V2 was over MSRP.

I don't know what Walmart's tact was with changing out the manufacture they had in that spot to put in Megs products ( some also carry M105/M205 ). 
Guess the 3m rep got them to sign up another line of products to the master list of products that WW stocks.  See if this works long term, I don't see many buying M105/M205, only those who are in the middle of a job and run out might go there to pick some up ( considering the cost of it ).

Even if they have the Chicago Rotary, it should still work on it.  The 6" kit is marketed towards the pneumatic 6" polisher in addition to the Flex.

I have not tried it, but Megs marketing material makes it sound like it is not an issue if you follow the speed and pass directions.

Interesting. I'd heard that the system was designed for the Porter-Cable / G110 type of machine and really didn't work well with the formerly more powerful stuff like a Flex or a rotary.

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:57:44 AM »
Will do guys, I thought the price was fair. 

The G100v2 was right next to it for 179.99 and a bunch of the professional line: 105,205,7 etc.  The soft buff pad line as well. I'm currently on vacation camping in Freeport, Maine and the Walmart in Brunswick had it. I'll have to check the local ones back in Massachusetts when we get home. 

John

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Now I need to go look at WM and see if they have pads.  that would be a good thing to know in a pinch.  Much closer than running across town to the local paint supply guy.

the DA system only works on a DA .. the flex and a rotary don't do well with it at all from what I have seen.
================

Doug

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
Exactly, the convenience is hard to beat

John

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »
...<snip>..
the DA system only works on a DA .. the flex and a rotary don't do well with it at all from what I have seen.

All my testing I have done Megs to Opti MF / Hyper combo have been with the Flex.  I have yet to try it on either of my PCs.

Did a write up in the pads section on the testing I did.  Got a 50 - 50 test on the hood of the F150 between Megs & Opt.

I would be curious to know if the Makita with the Dynabrade adapter would work. 
- Don't see why not, it is a longer arc than the PC or Flex...

I have only used my PC with the 3-1/4" Opti MF pads and the 3" LC pads ( have some small B & S pads, don't really care for them myself ).   That is about all it gets used for any more.  I even apply PowerLock & Pb Nattys blue with the Flex.
I use the Flex with the 4" pads with the LC pad adapter on the Flex.
Steve

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 04:16:24 PM »
Work with me on this one. Wally World sells the microfiber system. How many talented WW shoppers are going to buy it and slap in in a cheap rotary. You know what's going to happen next right?

The unfortunate thing is that, you're right.... it'll happen.

When Meg's was purchased by 3M in 08', I predicted that we may see some of this type of a thing begin to happen.  While I didn't, like many, see it as a totally negative thing (having used, and liked, some of 3M's stuff -- especially a glaze or two), I did think that we'd see Meg's stepping out on a limb a little more often.  3M was never able to corner the consumer market -- Meg's gave them that avenue.

With that avenue very much in place now, I think we'll continue to see many products that were once considered 'professional products' journey into the consumer market.  Clay is another case in point. 

Don't get me wrong - we all know that paint care/correction isn't rocket science but, it does take someone with 'some' skill to pull off using some types of products.  Remember, success in paint correction is VERY MUCH on the subjective side of the coin...  Just because you put more of a professional product, with a consumer package, in to someone's hands - it doesn't mean that they'll achieve results that we, as detailers, would consider great.  Rather, many will achieve results that are slightly better than smacking that coat of Liquid Ice on the paint and consider it spectacular. 

-RP
Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
Re: Re: Picked up megs microfiber system at walmart
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »

The unfortunate thing is that, you're right.... it'll happen.

When Meg's was purchased by 3M in 08', I predicted that we may see some of this type of a thing begin to happen.  While I didn't, like many, see it as a totally negative thing (having used, and liked, some of 3M's stuff -- especially a glaze or two), I did think that we'd see Meg's stepping out on a limb a little more often.  3M was never able to corner the consumer market -- Meg's gave them that avenue.

With that avenue very much in place now, I think we'll continue to see many products that were once considered 'professional products' journey into the consumer market.  Clay is another case in point. 

Don't get me wrong - we all know that paint care/correction isn't rocket science but, it does take someone with 'some' skill to pull off using some types of products.  Remember, success in paint correction is VERY MUCH on the subjective side of the coin...  Just because you put more of a professional product, with a consumer package, in to someone's hands - it doesn't mean that they'll achieve results that we, as detailers, would consider great.  Rather, many will achieve results that are slightly better than smacking that coat of Liquid Ice on the paint and consider it spectacular. 

-RP

Well stated Brad, unfortunately very true. 

Anyone have a cheap hid kit I can plug into my headlights?  It's just like the luxury cars,  isn't it?  >:D

John

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal