1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Diesel guys...  (Read 38602 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Diesel guys...
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
How's the 6.0 vortech from GMC and I think there is also a 6.2?  Keeping my options open.  I really do love the look of the newer GMCs.  Not so much the chevys though.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 09:41:49 PM »
Test drove a 2011 GMC 1500 with the 6.2 today.  Nice truck.  Not exactly what I want though.  Couldnt work a number to out for the stang.  Going to call about a 2008 6.4 crew with 79k on it and a 2008 denali with 42k on it tomorrow
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
Cool! Good luck.

I have heard rumblings that after making a few upgrades the 6.4 reliability is improved dramatically.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
Yeah it makes me nervous though.  There are horror stories out there for the 6.4.  It seems a dpf and egr delete are the way to go with a quality tune. 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »
Stay away from the GM 6.0 gassers. The 6.4 is a much better motor than the 6.0 is and you can hit 500+ hp very easily with it by doing a DPF and EGR delete with a tune. The only problems I've heard about with the 6.4 were the early 08 Job 1 trucks and the regen process.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
Strange to hear that about the GM 6.0.  A lot of our work trucks have them.  My dad is the mechanic and says he really hasn't had any problems with them.  Only issues with the trucks have been constant flywheel problems. 

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »
They are very very thirsty and I know two people that have had them came apart and have heard other horror stories about them. It was second hand info but I trust the sources.
Good enough never is

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
Hey Kitzy, Just talked to a buddy of mine with an '08 6.4. He confirmed that when he swapped the stock exhaust to a MBRP system that he gained almost 6 mpg on the highway.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »
Hey Kitzy, Just talked to a buddy of mine with an '08 6.4. He confirmed that when he swapped the stock exhaust to a MBRP system that he gained almost 6 mpg on the highway.

wow, was that with the cat delete?   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
That's crazy, Blown.  Sadly the 6.4 isn't going to happen.  It went out on an overnight test drive and the customer is taking it to their own mechanic.  So chances are it either pans out for the potential new owner or their mechanic finds something wrong in which case I'm not so sure I want it either.  The guy at the dealer did tell me it doesn't have AC and needs a compressor.

And the numbers just aren't going to work out for the Denali.  So I guess I keep looking. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »
It's a 5" straight pipe. I think the shop did custom work just behind the turbos to make it happen. He also did the DPF and EGR deletes. I know he had a Bully Dog tuner, but not sure where he got the tune from.

It sounded like a crazy improvement, but I guess the 6.4 are so choked up stock, that a tune and exhaust can make a big difference. he says it sounds like a jet plane at high idle.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
It's a 5" straight pipe. I think the shop did custom work just behind the turbos to make it happen. He also did the DPF and EGR deletes. I know he had a Bully Dog tuner, but not sure where he got the tune from.

It sounded like a crazy improvement, but I guess the 6.4 are so choked up stock, that a tune and exhaust can make a big difference. he says it sounds like a jet plane at high idle.

The 6.4 is prob worse than the 6.0...my good buddy is a Ford Master Diesel Tech...he says that the 6.4's are pretty bad but not as public as the early 6.0's.   Sadly, the new 6.7 has its issues too.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2012, 07:39:19 AM »
I see more 6.0's sitting at the Ford shop on a weekly basis than I do 6.4's and 6.7's and I drive by the Ford dealer 4 times a day going to and coming from work. Most of the time the 6.0's are in the shop either with the cab up on the hoist or the trucks on the hoist getting fixed. The stock 6.4's and 6.7's are the ones that are having issues because of the regen process because of the high EGT's it creates this is also a big issue for the class 8 trucks. I know the owners of a local beer distributor has removed all the emissions stuff off all of there over the road tractors at great expense to them because of the problems they were having with the tractors leaving the drivers stranded on the side of the road with a trailer full of beer behind them. They also have two 1 million mile Freightline FLD tractors that the drivers will not give up because they outrun and out haul there newer counterparts.
Good enough never is

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2012, 06:13:35 PM »
http://mobi.starcar.com/preowned/index.cfm/action/view_2007_ford_f-350_super_duty/vehicle/1FTWW33P27EA09069/

Thinking about calling about this truck.  Scared to mess with a 6.0 though. 

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
Diesel guys...
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
You sure you want an XL?

* Recent Photos

DSCF0011.JPG

Views: 2
By: sscully

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.