1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Diesel guys...  (Read 38601 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Diesel guys...
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »
Remember, the 2003 6.0 liter was the first year of the new motor. (In fact some '03's were still 7.3's.) The early ones were so bad that there were significant changes made to the motor in '04. It's virtually unheard of to make such major changes so fast - except when there's a very serious problem to correct.

The 2003 6.0 in our fleet is hands down the fastest truck in the fleet. Even our favorite Ford diesel tech says he's never driven one like it. On the other hand, he gets to drive it quite regularly since it's always under his care.  The only 6.0's I'd ever consider are low mileage / one owner newer ones.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 09:21:03 PM »
And the truck with the plow?  Other than the repeated workout the tranny gets and the salt, what other problems would I expect to encounter?
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »
if you are looking for 6.0's I would find a 06-07 maybe a job 3 05.   They made changes to the engine for 06....mine had them.   

but still, the things that "can" go wrong.

casting sand will clog the ERG cooler, soot in the EGR valve
head gasket can fail
oil cooler can fail
need a new upgraded steering stabilizer (death wobble)
and no matter what, the front end is prob gonna need upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends etc.   They were the f out fast if you ask me. 
There is also a 25 spring that is called the "blue spring" upgrade for the HPFP
Also, the FICM will eventually need to be repaired....this is another 6.0 design flaw.   If the battery's get weak and you keep trying to crank it, you can fry the FICM...(100.00 to fix it locally here in DFW)   Bad FICM's kill injectors.  It's a vicious cycle.

Sorry to be a dooms dayer, but all of the above I have fixed.   I prob have 5K total in the fixes to make mine "bomb proof" 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
The 03 6.0 isn't on the table.  I'm not considering it.  That 02 7.3 with the plow hookup is however.  I just need to know more about the problems I can expect, especially from a plow truck.  I won't be plowing with it.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
Based on what we've seen with our 7.3 Super Duty (F-350's), plowing is tough on front axle joints, ball joints, brakes, and transmissions. The rear brake calipers tend to freeze up on the sliders for some reason too. All of this stuff (except the transmissions) are pretty straight forward to repair or replace.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
I'm thinking of going and checking out an 03 v10 tomorrow.  Crew cab single rear wheel.  It has 75k on it.  Looks to be in good shape. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2012, 01:23:37 AM »
ah, the ol V10....GREAT motor but Mike, you are gonna get killed on MGP's

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 04:16:57 AM »
Yeah I know.  I've never bought a vehicle for the MPG though.  Intact, the mustang gets better mileage than anything I've owned yet.  Still looking though.  Just exploring the possibilities.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:34 AM »
The only thing you really need to check out on those V-10's is the exhaust manifold studs. And as JP said, other than being a bit thirsty, they've got tons of power. Might even be able to pull that ATV of yours!
 :redneck:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 08:35:21 AM »
I think my quad could have pulled the trailer better than the truck I used this weekend.  It dogged out up almost every incline.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
I think my quad could have pulled the trailer better than the truck I used this weekend.  It dogged out up almost every incline.

As weird as this may sound, what about a hitch for the Stang?

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
ah, the ol V10....GREAT motor but Mike, you are gonna get killed on MGP's

Depending on trailer / no trailer and the elevation(s) of the road, ( seem to recall ) dad said he gets 7 to 9 in his '01 38' Itasca RV on the open road with the Ford V10.

I get ~ 15 ( all around mostly city ) in my '06 with the 5.4 ( all the other mods done ), so I would call it not bad considering I scale ~ 6K give or take ( cap, pork chop box with tools, etc ).
Steve

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 04:41:11 AM »
I havent seen one guy say he gets less than 9 miles per gallon towing with the v10 regardless of load.  I know that's not good but my work truck with the 2012 cummins gets 8-9 on a good day.  If still rather have a diesel though.  I never did get a chance to go check out that v10 either. 

And no, the mustang will not be getting a hitch.  Doesn't help me with the payments anyway.

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »
I havent seen one guy say he gets less than 9 miles per gallon towing with the v10 regardless of load.  I know that's not good but my work truck with the 2012 cummins gets 8-9 on a good day.  If still rather have a diesel though.  I never did get a chance to go check out that v10 either. 

And no, the mustang will not be getting a hitch.  Doesn't help me with the payments anyway.

The v10 is a great motor if you don't mind the mileage. Keep it stock and you can see 13mpg empty. Larger, heavier wheels/tires and that changes quickly. Expect single digits with any trailer if you drive over 60mph. The deciding factor with the v10 towing mileage is aero drag as much as weight. The faster you go the mileage drops fast. With my last trailer I got 6-7mpg depending on wind conditions.

On the upside, you can just fill it with fuel and drive. Easy maintenance and much more worry free compared to any diesel. Having owned both a 2008 v10 and a 2011 6.7l diesel, I would have a hard time justifying the diesel unless I really needed it.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »
That is Harold.  Its always good to hear from guys who had both.  Especially when the lean towards the v10.  My heart is set on a 7.3 but its good to know I can't go wrong if the right v10 comes my way. 

I went back and looked at that truck with the plow.  Its not going to happen.  One side is scratched to hell.  The whole underneath had recently been painted so no telling what kind of shape everything was in.  Could have been preventative but also could be to hide stuff.  Then the plow.  Oh and it was parked buried in a small pine tree when I went and looked at it today.  Haha. 

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 10
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal