April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Opti Seal  (Read 4837 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Opti Seal
« on: May 27, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
G6 Wheel Wells

Doing a detail on the Mrs' G6 this weekend ( part dealer did a favor and washed it, part road trip to MI last weekend ).

When I was done correcting the paint, I was going to dress the plastic trim on the rocker panels ( GM puts a plastic 'nerf bar' there I guess to stop the typical rusting ? ) and wheel wells, and thought to myself, why not try Opti Seal ?

I have a bottle of the old stuff, why not give it a go ( I have been Opti Sealing stuff like a mad man all month, trying to get it gone to get the new version - At this rate it is going to take me 3 months ).

So I figure Justin does the black plastic parts on the Honda Toaster, why not this 'nerf bar' and the lower front & rear fascia.  While I was going at it with the foam applicator, I look over and decide to do the mud flaps as well, and to do the inside I needed to get a 'dropped' MF towel ( I cut them in half so I don't use them on paint again ) and figure I'll go all in and do the wheel wells front and rear.  I did all of the plastic parts with the 1 hour wait time, just getting a heavy coat built up, not trying for a deep gloss look.

Here are some quick pictures.

F150

I did a correction and Opti Sealed the tail gate on the F150, it is up against the wall in the garage, and gets neglected in details about every other time ( when I am done, and remember I forgot it, I pull the truck forward and ONR and Opti Spray Wax or Aqua wax it, and call it done - cheap seats work ).

I did a full correction on the cap and tail gate ( ignored the remainder of the truck ) and did 3 coats of Opti Seal with a 24 "cure" time between coats to maximize the gloss / depth.  Now when the tailgate is ignored in a detail, I am doing what I should do ONR it, and Opt Spray wax it.

Some pictures of the edge of the cap.  The camera does not really pick up the depth it seems to have with the Opti Seal.  I am taking some of the fun out of the detail work ( Opt Coat 2.0 the roof of the truck last week ), but it sure did turn out well, being the 1st time I did Opti Seal ( and Opti Coat 2.0 ).

Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Opti Seal
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:12:36 AM »
Steve,

Looks pretty darn awesome to me! I may have to try the Opti-Seal on the black plastic in my Toaster. That looked pretty sweet.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »
Looks great Steve!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:11:55 PM »
Looks great Steve!

Thank you for posting this is what you did on the black plastic ( on the Honda is the one I recall ), else I would not have thought to try it.

Don't know how long 3- 1 hr cure time coats will last under there, figure longer than trim detail spray or under carriage spray.
Steve

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
Love it, Opti Seal is such a versatile product!

* Recent Photos

IMG_5723.JPG

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal