1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Which of these is worth having...  (Read 4492 times)

Offline UserName

• Café Member
Which of these is worth having...
« on: May 13, 2012, 10:06:01 PM »
..and which need to go in the trash. I've bought several products in the past and I need yo know which ones do more bad than good. I like the Turtle wax Ice stuff but if its no good let me know.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Which of these is worth having...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:10:15 PM »
I don't think it is a case of do more bad than good ( at least what I see ).

Might be something that works better than another, but that is also a personal pref thing.

I see you have #7, I used that for years on my Silver '01 SuperCrew along with #81 and #26 with good results.  I just got bit by the Megs marketing machine one too many times, and changed over ( they already got my money, so it is not as if 'I showed them' ).

I think I see Turttle Wax Color cure, which is similar to a stick of heavy glaze that is color tinted. 
I could never figure out how polish and a stick of glaze worked together ( I think the directions are color stick 1st then "polish" ). 
I think this was just a heavy glaze stick for the really bad marks, and a bottle of glaze that is called polish.

Mothers Back to Black I stopped using some time ago.  I still have some Black again I use on the bags on my ZG-1000 when they get nasty looking.  Lasts ~ 12 months.  It is UV activated, and that is all I use it on now.  I found back to black was a very temp fix, where PB and a few others have trim restorer products that I use now.

When it comes down to it, if you have good luck keep using it.  There are more modern products out now, but do they work better or not is a personal thing.

I have never used the ICE products, so I have no clue on them. 
The Megs paste wax, I see people like this, but is is going to compare to Deep Reflections or Wet Obsession ?   Not really.

the Megs items, I did not use those ( I used #81, and changed out my pad aggressiveness ) but it is not as if they are removed from the market due to issues.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:01:18 AM »
Oh man, you just got here and i don't want to offend you.   That said, the ICE stuff is pure trash...but you knew that already.

the #7 is the only thing I would keep and in time, you won't keep it much longer.

Again, I am sorry if this offends you...but this stuff is old and not needed.   

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 12:03:58 AM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:26 AM »
One of the things you're going to find with detailing is that "new / better / awesome / unbelievable" stuff comes out every week. It's quite easy to keep picking every new product up as they come out because of this. But then you end up with shelves full of products you've either never used or no longer use.

I ended up in a limited version of that boat a while back and now just try to stick to some core products that work for me. I do try new stuff, but only when I need something better or somebody else I trust proves it works better than something I've already got. And that's what this site is all about.

Offline UserName

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »
Ok good to know, I need to stock up on some good stuff. I never have really liked the Megs products because they dried out far too quickly. I could never understand how its suppose to work if it just dries on the paint before you can even get the machine spinning. I've never liked either of the paste wax on my truck..just too messy to clean up. The TW"Color Cure"...lets just say its been on the shelf for a LONG time..that being said, I don't mind chunking it. As far as the ICE goes, when I got it I was a in love with how easy it was to use, however they call the one product a "polish" that does the job of a "wax"...?...hardly. It doesn't last more than two washes. The only thing that I still like using is the ICE detail spray. And JP you didn't offend me lol. I came here for advice.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
Of the stuff I there, I would keep the following:

Meg's #7 - keep if you work on single stage paint, or if you show you vehicles a lot, otherwise, not worth the effort.  It is a great show glaze but it only lasts a few days, tops.

Mother's Carnauba - Keep .. that is one of my favorite retail carnauba's.

Meg's Gold Class Carnauba - Great looking wax, but not much durability. Worth keeping as a back up.

Meg's PlastX - Keep - a good light to medium plastic polish.  Works well on side markers, third brake light lenses, and lightly fogged headlight lenses.

If one of the bottles of Meg's I can't see is #26, then keep it.  That is a great wax.

The rest of the stuff you can trash because it is either outdated (Meg's stuff)  or complete garbage (back to black and the turtle wax stuff)

================

Doug

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »
Of the stuff I there, I would keep the following:

Meg's #7 - keep if you work on single stage paint, or if you show you vehicles a lot, otherwise, not worth the effort.  It is a great show glaze but it only lasts a few days, tops.

Mother's Carnauba - Keep .. that is one of my favorite retail carnauba's.

Meg's Gold Class Carnauba - Great looking wax, but not much durability. Worth keeping as a back up.

Meg's PlastX - Keep - a good light to medium plastic polish.  Works well on side markers, third brake light lenses, and lightly fogged headlight lenses.

If one of the bottles of Meg's I can't see is #26, then keep it.  That is a great wax.

The rest of the stuff you can trash because it is either outdated (Meg's stuff)  or complete garbage (back to black and the turtle wax stuff)

My thoughts as well.

Offline UserName

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 07:16:10 AM »
thanks! I won't even start on how many interior products I have that are crap lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal