1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Microfiber Birds Nest?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Microfiber Birds Nest?
« on: May 27, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
OK, so maybe I?m not a big nature lover by classic measures, but I do have a weakness for baby animals. I?m getting out of my truck this afternoon while hooking up the boat in my driveway to do some work on it. I notice a baby bird sitting on the ground next to a tree beside my driveway. I know there?s been a nest up there every year because of the trail of bird poop right beside my boat.

So anyway, this bird is really tiny and must have fallen out of the nest. Try as I might, I couldn?t spot the nest to put it back though. So I gently pick the baby up and it just looks at me. OK, what am I going to do now? I decide to gently brush the dirt off the baby, then place it in one of my small (used just for wheels) microfiber towels on the ground. I also put a small cap full of water in front of it. Again, it just sits there and watches me work on the boat.

I had to go to the store to buy some outboard oil and I didn?t want to leave the bird on the ground where a predator could get to it. So I gently move the bird and the microfiber to the top of one of the bushes beside my house. Again, it just looks at me.

Later on, well after I?d gotten back and finished the boat, I happen to look outside. Much to my surprise, there?s momma bird sitting on the towel next to the baby. I run to grab my camera, but when I get back, both are gone. I then notice some commotion in the bush and it?s mom failing around next to the towel. I go outside and she flies away. But I found out why she was flailing. The baby had fallen down into the bush.

So I gently pick the baby up again, but this time spread a bigger waffle weave towel on top of the bush, then the small microfiber with the baby on top of it. I figured mom would be pretty scared, but about 5 minutes later, this is what I saw:

A few minutes ago, I went out on the porch and quietly checked on progress. I?m proud to report that mom and baby appear to be doing just fine together in their new ?nest.? This may actually have a happy ending! Here?s the two together again:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Re: Microfiber Birds Nest?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:15:58 PM »
That is taking it to the next step, running the risk of trashing a good drying towel, that is dedication to baby animals. 

I figure by now you would have had the mig welder out, made up a stand to take by to be powder coated, and fabbed up a roof for it out of timbertech or Hardy plank, and been ready to move them to a new and improved MF bird nest mid week   :wow:
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
Now that you mention it, it kinda looks like rain out there ...

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:39:58 AM »
So are they still out there ?
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 08:23:09 AM »

Yupper. Mom and baby were still together first thing this morning. Kinda surprising actually. I'd heard that mother birds reject anything a human has touched - and I certainly handled the baby when I brushed the dirt off.

So, do I get any "good deed for the day" points?  :redneck:

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
You get a lot in my book.  Ever seen a bird's nest when they are done with it ?

Makes the men's room in a New York subway look clean  :redneck:

Those 2 towels might be turned into lawn mower towels.
Steve

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 03:07:28 PM »
That's very nice of you to do .... you get the good deed points from me too!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:21 PM »
Thanks guys! Just a quick update, mom and baby are still doing fine. I actually moved them (and their towel) to a new bush that's more in the shade after they looked a bit hot yesterday. I'm thinking the little one is actually going to make it now!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »
yes thanks for doing that...those are Dove and they will migrate down here in early September so I can shoot them.   

:nana:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:42:26 AM »
yes thanks for doing that...those are Dove and they will migrate down here in early September so I can shoot them.   

:nana:

Pleased to report that mom and baby flew off together yesterday. Not sure how long it will take them to get down there though.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »

Yupper. Mom and baby were still together first thing this morning. Kinda surprising actually. I'd heard that mother birds reject anything a human has touched - and I certainly handled the baby when I brushed the dirt off.

There is no issue with touching the birds.  It is a big wives tale to keep kids from handling birds.   Most birds have little to no sense of smell, and can't tell that the baby has been handled. 

Good job helping that little dove. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:14:51 PM by gipraw »
================

Doug

Offline Pockets

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »
There is no issue with touching the birds.  It is a big wives tale to keep kids from handling birds.   Most birds have little to now sense of smell, and can't tell that the baby has been handled. 

Good job helping that little dove.

Well that is good to know I always heard the same thing not to touch them...... then again I would when I was a kid  :redneck:

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal