April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Wash Mop  (Read 10773 times)

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
Wash Mop
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:36:48 PM »
Hey!  Long time, no post. To bring you all up to speed, I traded in my mustang for one of these:

2012 Tuxedo Black Metallic SuperCrew Raptor.  It's a beast.  I've had it less than a week and need to wash it but am trying to figure out the logistics of this matter. I was turned on to Optimum no rinse last year and like that a lot...but I can't reach the roof on this thing.  I can get the back half if I climb up in the bed, but the front half is more of a problem.  I'd rather not drag a ladder out each time I wash, so do any of you have recommendations for a good quality wash mop or some sort of extension? 

Would anyone recommend either of these?
http://www.californiacardusters.com/chenille_microfiber_wash_mop.html
http://www.autogeek.net/bohabrteha1.html

Thanks!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Wash Mop
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:07:14 PM »
dude, first off.  Nice ride

Secondly.  Gonna say no to anything Cali Duster labeled.   

I also presume you are only using this for the roof.   Shake your head and say yes.

this is what I use only AFTER hitting it with the foam gun, again only on the roof, this never touches anything else. 

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/wash+mop+stick+kit.do?sortby=ourPicks

Its' probably the same as your first choice but since I have never used it,  I know the results from the one I posted. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »

Yep, just planning on using this for the roof.  Everything else should be easier by hand.  I don't currently have a foam gun, so would you advise against using this with ONR?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »

Yep, just planning on using this for the roof.  Everything else should be easier by hand.  I don't currently have a foam gun, so would you advise against using this with ONR?

If you are not using a foam gun no problem, you can use any car soap in a bucket  (2 bucket method of course)

I use ONR between washes and before a correction but if the the surface is beyond dust from a week, I do a full wash.

Think about investing in a foam gun and using it with either Optimum Car Soap or PB Super Suds and Wash, they are both amazing products. 

Foam sprayers will change your life and how you wash cars.    I think they are like 60 bucks...worth every penny if you ask me.

Gilmore is the one.   

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:33:55 PM »
BTW,  I a partial to the Griots pole washer b/c it can be used with other accessories...I also use the pole to clean and squeegee my floors.   

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:46:22 PM »
I went with the Werner Drywall Step Up Bench.  They make a 24" and 29" version in a 2 step.

Take a look and see if you have an industrial ladder supply near by, they usually have good pricing ( I got my 24" there ).

They are dirt light, give a 30" wide platform to work from and are 300# rated, so you have move around and get aggressive if you need to, without it feeling like it is one of the junk 200# aluminum ladders that home owners usually have ( ready to fall apart the day you bring it home ).

I regret not getting mine sooner, it makes things so much easier for washing and polishing the roof of the cab & Cap on the truck, and working on things in the house, I rarely bring in the 5' ladder anymore ( then again that is a I-AA 375# ladder, weights as much as my 8' I-A ladder ).

The Foam gun, if you have a Pressure washer, take a look at the MTM hydro version for it.

I have the A* branded one, and got dad one of the MTM hydro ones.  Guess where Max gets his foam cannons at ??
Max does provide one PW lance attachment and a piece of 4" threaded brass 1/4" pipe with it, for ~3X what the MTM Hydro goes for.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
This is the foam gun I was speaking of

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-75QGF4-Foamaster-Cleaning-Gun/dp/B000XTK940

For a straight hose yes, definitely.

if you have a PW, this is the one I am talking about

http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/MTM-Hydro-14.0263/p6154.html

Steve

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have a PW although the foam cannons look awesome. I guess I'll probably need to step up to a foam gun since this vehicle will be getting quite a bit dirtier :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions!

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 05:58:48 AM »
If the truck is gonna see off road use, then the foam gun is a great idea. You can use it for a pre-wash soak and rinse to remove a bit of the bigger chunks and heavier dirt. The more you remove this way, the lesser the chance of marring the paint while washing.

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 06:03:35 AM »
Also, speaking of pressure washers, don't think that you have to go to one of the heavy and expensive gas powered models. I used an electric Karcher PW that I bought for less than $100 for over 3 years. It doesn't have the power of the bigger gas units, but it is much lighter, cleaner, and quieter.

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 01:32:03 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping to find some good areas to try some off roading, but nothing too crazy.  I went ahead and bought the Gilmour foam gun, PB super suds, and Griots mop stick.  I don't have a garage so I'll hold off on the PW to avoid having too many things to drag outside for a wash :).

I used the ONR today after rinsing it down well since there wasn't any heavy dirt/mud and I wasn't very happy with the results.  It seemed to leave a thin film of dirt behind...especially on the rims.  I guess different vehicles necessitate different washing strategies.  Can't wait to get the foam gun now!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:48 AM »
Dumb question on rinse with hose then ONR, was there dust on the paint when you did this ?

Wondering if you changed dust to film, and that is why is did not turn out so well.

Don't know if it is marketing material from the PhD over at Optimum, but the description of how ONR works makes it sound like adding water before is not a good thing with the way it encapsulates dirt.  This was my take away from what I read, so it might be inference.

I now know RR is going to have a hay day with this, but I Cali duster the car ( used as designed, not the mop method a lot seem to do ) and then ONR it when the pollen is really bad.

I do the same thing for a "good" coating of dust before SnW or SnG QD'ing of the paint.

About the only good thing I took away from my short stint at A* forum is to make a bottle of ONR presoak at 15:1. 
Before I go after it, I spray down the panel with the pre soak and a double mist sprayer then move on to the standard ONR wipe down using a LC Blue grout sponge for the high parts, and an actual grout sponge with cube cut into it for the lower body panel sections.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm hoping to find some good areas to try some off roading, but nothing too crazy.  I went ahead and bought the Gilmour foam gun, PB super suds, and Griots mop stick.  I don't have a garage so I'll hold off on the PW to avoid having too many things to drag outside for a wash :).

I used the ONR today after rinsing it down well since there wasn't any heavy dirt/mud and I wasn't very happy with the results.  It seemed to leave a thin film of dirt behind...especially on the rims.  I guess different vehicles necessitate different washing strategies.  Can't wait to get the foam gun now!

Has anyone told you how to use ONR?   

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB6pVSG7Zs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTypgZsvEPc&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 11:08:37 AM »
Dumb question on rinse with hose then ONR, was there dust on the paint when you did this ?

Yeah, it was mostly dust/rain on the paint, with some stray grass clippings that were picked up.  I pre-rinsed to remove the grass, but it sounds like you're right about this being the issue since I hadn't had this problem in the past.

About the only good thing I took away from my short stint at A* forum is to make a bottle of ONR presoak at 15:1. 
Before I go after it, I spray down the panel with the pre soak and a double mist sprayer then move on to the standard ONR wipe down using a LC Blue grout sponge for the high parts, and an actual grout sponge with cube cut into it for the lower body panel sections.

I essentially do the same but I just fill a bottle straight from the bucket after I mix it, then pre-treat 1-2 panels and wash one panel at a time.

And yes Rollingrock, I've watched a ton of ONR videos including those :).  Just trying to avoid any problems before the foam gun arrives.

* Recent Photos

sample logo try

Views: 1
By: sscully

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal