Detailing Products > Quick Detailers & Finishing Sprays

Optimum Spray Wax vs Duragloss Aquawax as a QD

(1/1)

sscully:
Don't know if this is where to put the compare of these 2 products as a QD. 
- It is not really a QD, but the usage is not standard LSP.  Move if appropriate.

I have been using Aquawax for some time as both a Gloss QD and for drying.  Saw Tom was using the Opti Spray wax for drying, figured I would see what is what with it.

Both products appear to picky when used on too warm of paint and the work time is shorter, where PB SnG or QW+ does not seem to have this issue, at least from my uses ( QD+ I cannot get consistent results , I am too stupid to use it ).  QW+ is not quite wipe on, wipe off.

Aquawax seems to be the easier of the 2 to use.
- Larger sections can be worked with less of a chance of drying and streaking. 
- Adds OK depth to the paint ( on non fresh LSP applications ) give or take about the same as PB SnG.
- Slick WOW.  It feels great.  Don't know yet if this translates into something, but it feels slicker than SnG when done.
- Adds a bit of that synthetic appearance to the paint.  On the Ford Factory orange peel, it makes them stand out a bit more to me on vertical panels.  SnG does not do this.

Optimum Spray Wax seems to be the better finish appearance.
- The depth the Opti product adds is great.  it is marketed as 5 month wax protection.
- No synthetic appearance to the paint.  It does not have the same finish to the orange peel as Aquawax.
- Not quite as slick feeling as Aquawax.
- Need to work smaller sections when used as a QD.  Opti Spray wax has a tendency to dry quicker than Aquawax ( or a lot quicker than SnG ) which leads to streaking on the paint, and either a lot of buffing to get it out, or misting the area again.  1st use on the G6 hood, and it was a mess, I had to SnW the entire hood before starting over.  SnW as the liquid "re-activator" seems to work better than hitting it with another shot of Opti Spray wax.

I am going to keep both on the shelf. 

The Optimum Spray wax works wonders in door jams, much easier than trying to get LSP in there on a red hand pad and claims 5 months of protection.

Aquawax, the ease of application, to me, makes it a preferred quick hit of wax to the car after a ONR or Opticlean 'bath' with Wipe on Wipe off application ( quicker than letting QW+ haze before Wo ).

Long term usage, it is easier to QD the paint with SnG to get some pop back to the paint.

This is just want I found, finishing the last test on the F150 last night with the Optimum product.

Obsessive Detail:
I really like AW and OCW as well.  In the past I used a lot of AW, I do think OCW does give a deeper wetter looking finish.  Both are easy to remove as well.

sscully:
You did not have problems with doing a larger area with the Optimum product ?

I did not try AW at the same time.  The garage was ~ 65* F when I noticed this with the Opti product.

Too Stroked:
I haven't tried the Aqua Wax, but a good friend of mine with tons of detailing experience highly recommends it.

As Steve said, I have been using the Optimum Spray Wax for a while now - in a non-recommended way. (That would be while drying a vehicle.) I generally do one panel at a time and try to do it in the shade and have not had any problems. If you do it in direct sunlight, the product does seem to dry and get weird. (Technical huh?) I really like the depth it seems to leave and so far, it really seems to extend the life of whatever LSP is already on there. The thing I like best is the lubricating effect it has on the microfiber towels. I just don't think I'm marring as much when I use it.

Rollingrock:
my .02 here, but I have had terrible streaking results from the spray wax....BUT that said, I know its due to 2 factors.

(This is for drying by the way)

1.  I use too much product.
2.  The surface is too hot...ie the hood of a Powerstroke. 

Other than that, I have had GREAT experience with Optimum Spray Wax...both the older version and the new one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version