1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: PC Question/Help...  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Budha

• Café Member
PC Question/Help...
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:39:18 AM »
Ok fellas, I have a 6" PC 7336, which from what I understand was the previous model of the current 7424 series/packages. Being a woodworker, I have used this unit as a sander (even though the dust collector collar is still on it, I don't use it) for quite some time and it's still going strong. I recently replaced my 5" PC with a PC low profile 5" var speed random orbital unit, so I rarely break out the old 6".  The 7336 currently has the 6" 6-Hole Standard backing pad #18001 (hook & loop) w/ the 6" Random Orbit Sander Counter-Weight.

My question is - could I use this setup with the various pads or should I put on a flexible backing plate? Like the PC 6" 6-Hole Contour (used w/ 6" polishing pads) #18002 or one of the other brands. I don't plan on getting ridiculously into the detail world, but I figured since I already have this PC unit, I could use it.

*Before anyone questions the dust from being used as a sander contaminating the liquids and doing further paint damage, I take good care of my tools and keep them, along with my shop, as clean as you can for the type of environment. I'm constantly blowing it out w/ an air gun and will break it down and clean it thoroughly before using it to detail. It's been sitting for a while so the pics show a tad bit of dust but nothing major.

Dust collector piece loosened up for the pics...

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: PC Question/Help...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »
From what I can see in the pics, you certainly have what appears to be a very similar machine to the beloved 7424. Based on that, I would guess you could use it for detaiing work. The big question will be around if it's powerful enough. I say that because as good as the 7424 is, it's still on the low end for power. In fact Porter-Cable just introduced a new, more powerful model - the 7424 XP to replace it.

Assuming you can use it though, I would recommend dropping down to a smaller pad. I started with 6" pads on my 7424 and it just didn't have the guts to do much with them. I think you'll find that most of us use either 5.5" or 4" pads on our PC's.

Welcome to the site!

Tom

That said, you'll have to get a smaller backing plate to run them safely.

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:03:20 AM »
I first liberated my 7424 from the shop to replace the Cyclo mod 5 I was using back in '01 / '02.  I did the same thing, cleaned it out it was fine.  Not a single issue with residual dust.  If one had let dust build up and cake in there with a few high humidity seasons, that might do it.

I did not try to use the same back plate on it, I got a 6" thin yellow flex one.

As Tom said, when I found out this is only good for applying LSP, then I got a 5" and 4" backing plate. 
Now you can go to a 2-3/4" plate if you get the rotary to DA adapter for it ( ~9.00 for this )
Now the backing plate options are great, and from many places, so they are cheap and I find, on sale quite often. 

I used that same PC up until 2011.  I tried to replace it before, with a G110 ( not the V2 ) and it still did better.  It is back in the shop for sanding duty ( the selectable Makita I replaced it with is a beast for all day use but it will scribe a counter like nobody's business ), I have a new 7424XP for the garage.

I like the Optimum backing plates, but read some threads and ask the guys here for another opinion. 
I do not care for Megs, so I am not one to ask about that plate.  Megs releases stuff on what I have always called 'double secrete probation' and hype fabrication. 
Look at the "special" backing plate for the 3 years of development work MF kit.
Looks and feels oddly like the PC brand backing plate for sanding.  Even has the holes for the dust collection err, I mean cooling

One thing I did not do, once I liberated the PC from the shop, I did not go back and forth with it.  You might find this is not an issue or do the same as me, get a higher end sander for the shop ( which I did use that on the vehicles for a bit prior to the flex ).
Steve

Offline Budha

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
Ok, I'll start looking into the smaller backing plates/pads and go from there. Thanks for the replies.

When it comes to sanders, I guess I tend to stick w/ the PC brand....  :dunno:

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:14:09 AM »
Replace the backing plate, and it is a good starting machine to use, for sure.

Nice collection of sanders.

================

Doug

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Cord Ends
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
Might want to be a bit nicer to your cords

Sorry Dad is an electrician and I would get beat like a rented ox if I did that to a cord, even to this day  :redneck:
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Cord Ends
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:57:13 AM »
Might want to be a bit nicer to your cords

Sorry Dad is an electrician and I would get beat like a rented ox if I did that to a cord, even to this day  :redneck:

So this would be your first experience with the good natured ribbing we all give each other. But for the OCD among us, there's just a whole new level of stuff we can pick on!  :redneck:

Offline Budha

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
LoL

I don't usually wrap it that tight - was just for the pic to show the var. speed dial. The other sanders show how loose I usually wrap them.  :nana:

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »
nice.  I didn't notice the tightly wrapped cord, but I did notice it lying on the side on the backing plate, which can flat spot the plate. 
================

Doug

* Recent Photos

toro 724

Views: 1
By: sscully

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal