April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Optimum Hyper Compound & Hyper Polish compare to Menzerna SIP & 106  (Read 9873 times)

Offline sscully

• Café Member
Guess I should say Optimum Hyper Compound & Hyper Polish compared to Menzerna IS-1500 & SF-4000 ( damn new naming convention ).

I have SIP & 106 ( got it for Corian work right now ) and I have been going through the threads on Optimum Hyper products.

I was looking for an opinion, if I should keep some Optimum Hyper around just in case, or if the SIP & 106 is good enough for a DIY person.  I am trying to avoid the stock pile of stuff, and if SIP & 106 work about the same as the Optimum Hyper  products, I wait on them.

I am going to haul out my sink cut outs to test with SIP/106 on a foam and on a MF pad, to see what I am in for ( smart this time ) on taking the scratches and pig tails out of the powder room sink.  I put the pig tails in a 8 years ago with Meg #81 and an orange constant pressure 4" pad with the PC.

Just looking for some arsenal opinions.

The Hyper products do look cool with the videos ( Opti Hyper Polish Spray test/demo ) that JP did on them. 
- BTW JP, when you do the videos, don't know if you are leaving the speed settings out on purpose or if this an oversight. 
Speed and pressure for the test videos you do would round them out nicely as all out instructional videos, for the given paint type ( maybe caveat that also ).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Steve

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Re: Optimum Hyper Compound & Hyper Polish compare to Menzerna SIP & 106
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:56:36 PM »
I can't help with a comparison, because I don't use any of the optimum stuff, but I will say that 106 is one of the best products for burnishing available. I use it on abut 60% of the multi step corrections I do.

I use Meg's 105 and 205 a lot more than SIP these days, but I do use it occasionally.

================

Doug

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:08:26 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on SIP. From what I have read from JP & Tom SIP is ( can be - paint dependent ) can be a fast cutting polish.

Is there a reason that you went from SIP to Megs ?  Tom's posts would call SIP slightly less aggressive, requiring maybe 1.5 passes ( or 2 if hard clear ) than 105, but the dust is something he thought was a lot on the Megs product.  Think this was on the black Denali.

I never tried M105/M205.  For some reason I skipped over this. 
Now from some of the reviews on the Megs vs. Optimum MF pads on a Flex, I think I should have skipped the MF DA kit as well, and spent that on Hyper combo and Hyper pads.

I'll going to try to play "Name that speed" from the video and see what I come up with.  It is onyl a starting point, as I am using a different product. 
Maybe I'll spring for the Hyper Combo @ ADS ??  I can feel myself falling back into the hole I was in before, where I bought a ton of stuff.  I told myself I was going to pass on SIP / 106, and for the counters I changed my mind... :redneck:

Good part , these are cut outs from the sink.  I am going to tape them off, and only do one part.  If I screw it up, it is not the complete cut out, so I just can't damage that big of a section on the sink. 

Once the weather either freezes the ground or it drys up, I am going to get a test hood / trunk lid from the bone yard, so I can start out testing it on actual paint.
Steve

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:07:54 AM »
I've used the Meguiar's 105 / 205 combo as well as the Menzerna SIP / P085RD combo. Quite honestly, I have more time with the Menzerna combo. The reason is prety simple - the mess. I do believe the 105 cuts better than the SIP. So for really nasty stuff, I'll still pull it out. That said, it creates it's own marring that requires further correction.

The Menzerna combo on the other hand is a little different. There's way less mess with the SIP. In fact many times I've gone straight to an LSP after SIP. I've never been able to go straight from 105 to an LSP. And I really think the P085RD finishes up better than the 205. Personal opinion I guess.

I may be able to do a better head to head test a bit later this spring. I have a dump truck coming up that's faded, oxidized and marred to hell. I brought it back about 3 or 4 years ago, but it's sat outside 24/7 since then. Maybe I'll play with a few things to compare when I do it. My plan is to whack it with 105 / 205 (with a rotary) because it's so far gone. Maybe 'll try SIP / P085RD on the other side. It's not like the judges are going to notice the difference!

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
I never finish with 205 or SIP.  I always go back with 106 or P085, which are the best available to jewel with, imo.

================

Doug

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
I never finish with 205 or SIP.  I always go back with 106 or P085, which are the best available to jewel with, imo.

Good catch Doug. Although I've never finished with SIP, on a couple of vehicles I've used it on, it was damn close to LSP ready. I still followed it up with something else (usually P085RD) though. After reading your stuff on jeweling a surface, I wouldn't go any other way.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:47:45 PM »
Hey I want in this thread but I gotta go to a party, will be back later and it should be an interesting post from me.~   :redneck:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
Thanks for the info so far Doug & Tom.

JP, once you get a chance that would be great.

Little test on Dark Corian, sink cut out raw material right from DuPont.  They cut the top after the bowl is glued on, then finish the top for install.  This top was made at a place that vacuum clamped the bowl to the top, so no big clamp hole to the drain opening.

I used the Flex with Opti MF pads.
1.  Cutting Mf pad w/ SIP.  Started out at top speed, then backed down to 4 on the 3rd & 4th pass.
2. Cutting Mf pad w/ 106.  kept speed between 3 & 4.  Took 2 passes.
3. Polish MF pad w. 106.  Kept speed at 3 for 4 passes.

Before :
Used a straight blade screw driver to drag across the top.

Put a smaller tool mark in the top, tried to make it not as bad.

Used the straight blade screw driver to drag an L into the corner.  This is with the flat part of the blade against the top at ~ 45*

50/50
The screw driver mark left to right was a bit deeper than I thought, this would qualify for a wet sand removal.

The tool mark in the top, still there but much is gone.  The only part left is a straight line out of the music symbol ( or at least what I could do from memory ).  Maybe it was more of an ampersand ?? :redneck:

the L with the flat

All of it

SIP with the Opti Cut and Polish MF pads did a great job, for the little bit I spent on it.  This was only ~ 10 min work.

Gives me a fair idea of what SIP / 106 and Opti Cut & Polish MF pads would do to paint.  Bit of respect for them now.

Once JP gets a chance, this would be the last bit of info, to decide if I get the Opti Hyper Kit of compound and polish.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »
I am in no way position to respond to this post at the time....I am way deep in Crown and Diets....

this may be a topic worth of a phone call.    Hell, maybe a conference call with the elders to discuss. 

What an awesome test you have set up....

what are we talking about again?   

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
I am in no way position to respond to this post at the time....I am way deep in Crown and Diets....

this may be a topic worth of a phone call.    Hell, maybe a conference call with the elders to discuss. 

What an awesome test you have set up....

what are we talking about again?

Wow, had a good time last night I see.  :wow: :beer: :cheers:
Face down sleeping I assume.... :redneck:
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
I would say that SIP and Hyper Compound are very similar in cut, neither dust so that is nice.  I don't think there is anything wrong with having it...considering the cost, its about half the cost as SIP.   SIP was develped for hard paints.   

As for my Hypercompund test video, it was really just to show how it works.     Confession from me, my flex pretty much says on the same speed.   5

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
The question was not so much cost, more of a space issue.  5 of my 12 cabinets are full of detail products, and this is aside from the 2 Acro Bins with my spare/odd pads and MF towels.  I just cleaned out stuff that was 10+ years old again, and I am heading back to full at a quick pace.

Let's face it, if cost were an issue, one should not be getting into detailing like this, they should stick with AIO by hand 2x per year.  1  bottle, applicator(s) and a few rags to remove it.
It is akin to buying a truck, and wanting to figure out how to get better mpg out of it. :redneck:
- Sorry if I insulted anyone, it is a truck, not a fusion.  It gets bad mpg when compared to them, but it serves a different function.

If they are similar, but SIP / 106 ( 83 ? ) is made for hard clear, maybe the Hyper Combo would work better on normal clear ??  Don't know if you found them to act different when used on "normal" paint.

I just added the Hyper combo from ADS to my list.  Already have a full shopping list again, and it has only been a week. :wow:

I do have some counters to remove scratches from.  Some of them are from use, some are self inflicted pain, from me thinking I knew what I was doing when I went after it with M-81 on a LC CP 4" Orange.  After this bit of stupidity, I have done research on pad speed with pad size.
- Kind of a "I didn't know what I didn't know" type of action. 

BTW : Thanks for the pointer on the flex.  I am still learning usage of it, and the delta to the PC.

With the testing on the cut outs, I did get a real quick respect for what SIP can do.  I'll save the other sink cut out ( Perl - light color ) for when I get the hyper combo. 

Think I am liking the Opti MF pads, might get another set of them.  From what I have read, the Opti MF pads work on the flex where the Megs ones are not the best.  So far I have not had an issue with the Opti Pads and the flex.
Steve

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:41 PM »
The question was not so much cost, more of a space issue.  5 of my 12 cabinets are full of detail products, and this is aside from the 2 Acro Bins with my spare/odd pads and MF towels.  I just cleaned out stuff that was 10+ years old again, and I am heading back to full at a quick pace.

Let's face it, if cost were an issue, one should not be getting into detailing like this, they should stick with AIO by hand 2x per year.  1  bottle, applicator(s) and a few rags to remove it.
It is akin to buying a truck, and wanting to figure out how to get better mpg out of it. :redneck:
- Sorry if I insulted anyone, it is a truck, not a fusion.  It gets bad mpg when compared to them, but it serves a different function.

If they are similar, but SIP / 106 ( 83 ? ) is made for hard clear, maybe the Hyper Combo would work better on normal clear ??  Don't know if you found them to act different when used on "normal" paint.

I just added the Hyper combo from ADS to my list.  Already have a full shopping list again, and it has only been a week. :wow:

I do have some counters to remove scratches from.  Some of them are from use, some are self inflicted pain, from me thinking I knew what I was doing when I went after it with M-81 on a LC CP 4" Orange.  After this bit of stupidity, I have done research on pad speed with pad size.
- Kind of a "I didn't know what I didn't know" type of action. 

BTW : Thanks for the pointer on the flex.  I am still learning usage of it, and the delta to the PC.

With the testing on the cut outs, I did get a real quick respect for what SIP can do.  I'll save the other sink cut out ( Perl - light color ) for when I get the hyper combo. 

Think I am liking the Opti MF pads, might get another set of them.  From what I have read, the Opti MF pads work on the flex where the Megs ones are not the best.  So far I have not had an issue with the Opti Pads and the flex.

We need someone to tell us more about the op pads...if you get a chance start a new thread about them, I'd like to compare them to the Megs system.

As for the cost...you are right, this is a worm hole...sad to say what we spend on our supplies..hell I just got another order from ADS, 5 gal APC+, 1 Gal of HD, 1 Gal of #34, 20 more spray heads, 6 new bottles, new pads, Micro restore etc.....Then I picked up the Optimum Opti Coat and a new order of Opt-seal. 

SIP is something I reach for on really jacked up cars.    It has a place in your arsenal for sure...I am finding that I am using less of the SSR's.   I am at a point where I am correcting others mistakes and time is an issue with me...don't get me wrong, I still spend 10-24 hours on a car/truck but I am just using different products. 

The new megs stuff is impressive, but I will still keep the Op Hyper Compound around...

you see that is kind of the progression of this hobby, things change.   But the net of it is this.  Find what you like and what works for you.   Between, Optimum, Menzera, PB's and Megs...I am covered...

This post was all over the place...sorry

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
It is going to be a bit before I can try the Megs MF DA kit.
I didn't have time today to use it on the G6, and the next time I think I will have is my sisters Honda ( MAR I hope ).

I will say I am very impressed with the Opt MF pads, both cut and polish.  It was only 10 min of work on that cut out, and Corian is usually a rotary / wool pad type thing for time.

Other threads at another site, was the Opti MF pads work with the Flex, where the Megs did not do so well ( think that info is from you as well ).  Megs made it for the G110V2, and Opti did not have this limitation ( not wanting to build something for the competitor ). 

Once I have something to compare it to, I can do one, if it is not done by then.

just ordered the Hyper kit @ ADs that is on sale.  See if I should have gotten the 64 oz version instead. :redneck:

I just did an ADS order 1 week ago today, and I am tying off, looking for the vein again already  :wow:

It is an expensive hobby to have, but are guns and watches.
Steve

Offline sscully

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
Got my Opti Hyper combo and found some time today to work the other side of the sink cut outs.

Last time we saw our hero, he was in the clutches of the evil boneheaded villain, can'tdetailworthacrap... :redneck:

Had the continuation scratch made with the screw driver and a few others.  I forgot to make the flat @ a 45* drag with the screw driver blade.

After 2 passes of Opti Hyper Compound on Opti MF cutting pad

After 3 passes of Opti Hyper polish on Opti MF polish pad

The tape removed.  I missed my mark a bit, so it is not perfect Menz to Opti, and just to give an idea of what it started like, I taped out a section on the bottom of the raw material from DuPont.

I really should try PO83rd on the Menz side to see what it would turn out like.  I think the scratches re more west sand material than compound / polish worthy.

i did make the other thread for the Opti MF pads vs Megs MF pads.  I started with the opti part ont he G6 1st.  Hope this week I can find time to try the roof with Megs MF kit on the flex ( I have the 6" pads ).
Steve

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal