1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: New Truck?  (Read 5529 times)

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
New Truck?
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »
Guys...just looking for some advice.  In short, my truck has been giving me some minor issues.  Warranty is way gone....it's starting to hit the pocket a bit.

Thinking of purchasing a 2011 F150 w/ the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost (11k towing capacity).  Thinking this would fit my towing needs for camping and economy needs day to day.

Any recommendations, concerns, comments? 
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: New Truck?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
I drove a pre-production Ecoboost King Ranch Super Crew 4x4 as part of Ford's program where they brought one to your house and let you thrash it for 30 minutes. It was absolutely amazing.

Remember, most studies have shown that it's cheaper to keep an older vehicle - even with a reasonable amount of repairs. A new one is much more reliable though.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
If the 3/4 ton guys are posting what they are posting on RV.net regarding that engine with small toyhaulers and 5ers I think you are going to be more than pleased over what you have.

Remember, 11K doesn't mean put 11K of trailer on there.  You have to account for weight in the truck too.   I would tell you to say below 80% of the 11K and you will be fine.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
They are very appealing, I keep hoping that things will be "settled" enough for me to look at a second vehicle. I love the idea of a STI or other sporty hatch, but in reality it would be just a toy. The EB looks like the leading contender for me right now. Are you looking at the Super Crew or Extended Cab? Curious on the true MPG difference between the two. If you are going to hang onto it over the long term, I think it's a great option for you as you could get a decent buck for your truck.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:56:41 PM »
the ecoboost in a F150 is a pulling machine.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:52:34 AM »
They are very appealing, I keep hoping that things will be "settled" enough for me to look at a second vehicle. I love the idea of a STI or other sporty hatch, but in reality it would be just a toy. The EB looks like the leading contender for me right now. Are you looking at the Super Crew or Extended Cab? Curious on the true MPG difference between the two. If you are going to hang onto it over the long term, I think it's a great option for you as you could get a decent buck for your truck.

I'm looking at the SuperCrew.  The dealer is telling me to expect about 15 or 16 city and 21 to 23 highway.....WAY better than the 11 / 15 I'm getting now.

Not sure what I'm going to do.  I like my current truck a LOT but if I'm going to keep it, I need to drop about $1k on it REAL soon.....AND there's the simple fact that I'm at the top of the trade-in curve right now, so If I'm going to trade, now's the time.  Think I'm gonna just sleep on it for a week or 2.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
Remember, the very last days of the year are absolutely the best time to buy.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 02:42:05 PM »
Great point TS, also most sales staff have end of month or quarter numbers they go for. Best negotiations happen at the end of the month.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »
All good points.  My plan was to wait until right b/w xmas and new years.....if I do it.

IDK, I was driving down the road today and I swear my current truck talked to me....pleaded for its life to be kept and loved.   :redneck:
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:26:53 PM »
IDK, I was driving down the road today and I swear my current truck talked to me....pleaded for its life to be kept and loved.   :redneck:

Keep your current truck and get a new one. Best of both worlds! The old one can be for when they salt the roads. Park the new truck during the winter and it will stay mint.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:28:24 PM by Need4racin »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »
All good points.  My plan was to wait until right b/w xmas and new years.....if I do it.

I paid my F250 off last year...1.5 years early, glad I did it.  Mine is pretty modified...but as TooStroked said, it is cheaper to keep her.  At least in my case.  Little things are going wrong but I can take care of that.  Brakes, Vac Pump, Tie Rods, but bet your ass its the best looking 2006 King Ranch around.   I cannot tell you how many times I have people come up to me thinking it was a brand new truck.   Love that feeling. 

THAT SAID, the Ecoboost engine is light years ahead of the 3V 5.4.    It's almost like having a Diesel per all the folks on RV.net pulling with it in both 150's and 250's. 

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:03:36 AM »
What RR said. The engine is a big upgrade over the 5.4L. So is the 6-speed vs. 4-speed tranny. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth the money though.

* Recent Photos

IMAG0068.jpg

Views: 4
By: Kaleb G

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal