April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: X-pipe, intake and custom tune  (Read 7049 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
X-pipe, intake and custom tune
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
So the X-pipe ended up being a bit of a headache.  The easy to get to bolts were easy after a little penetrating fluid.  One of the bolts to the exhaust manifold need to be accessed through the engine compartment via a long extension with a swivel adapter.  Ended up stripping the crap out of it because I couldn't get it seated right on the nut.  When I did get it on, I couldn't get enough torque transferred to the nut because I only had a 3/8 extension and at probably 20"+ and the fact that there were 3 extensions together, they were just twisting.  The pipe I was using over the ratchet was too long.  Starting from the intake manifold cover, the extensions allowed so much twist that the pipe hit the hood before breaking the nut loose.  A breaker bar with a 1/2-3/8 adapter eventually took care of it and from there on was easy.  Intake took about 10 minutes start to finish.  The tune to longer to download.  Overall, it sounds good.  Pretty amazing until around 3k rpm and then it gets higher pitched and raspy.  They're nothing like any of the previous Mustangs.  These engines are completely different beasts.

Before

After

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
Re: X-pipe, intake and custom tune
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Sounds good.  Any cabin drone?

================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
Hard to say exactly whether its drone or not.  It's just loud.  It doesn't really resonate annoyingly at any certain rpm.  The windows are always down as well so all I hear is it screaming.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »
Wow, I thought my ATAK system sounded pissed...but that sounds amazing.  Where did you get your tune from?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
just bad....pure bad

sounds great Mike....
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:03:20 AM »
Thanks guys.  Brenspeed did the tune.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:31:40 AM »
Sweet!

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »
That is just pure evil.......Sound really good.
Good enough never is

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »
Music to my ears  :clap: :cool: :nw:
John

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
Might have to give Brenspeed a call.  Pretty sure they left skip shift turned on.  Only had it happen once and its possible that t was just me having a dumb moment but I've never hit 4th looking for 2nd by mistake.  They did remove the governor though.  Tested that out this morning.  These cars are beasts.  They will pull well in to the upper triple digits.  And boy does it scream when its wound out.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
It really sounds good. I love how it doesn't really sound at all like any previous 5.0/4.6 Mustang. Nice job, what else are you going to do to it?
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »
Blown, I hear ya but I was pretty partial to the way they sounded.  Very distinct.  You knew what was coming before you saw it.  This... no one has a clue.  You just see necks snapping like the wave at a stadium as you drive down the street.  People just stop talking.  During the initial test drive, I drove past the local college baseball field while they were having a game and the entire outfield and half of the other guys stopped and turned around. 

As for future mods, suspension is next.  I have the shocks and struts already.  Koni Sports (Yellows), fully adjustable.  Need about another $1k to finish it off.  Steeda Sport springs for a better stance and over ride quality and handling.  They'll lower it 1" in the front and 1.25" in the rear.  Steeda Billet lower control arms to cure the retarded wheel hop these cars have.  Steeda HD upper strut mounts which provide an extra +/-1* of camber plus the factory ones tend to fail on lowered cars and create a popping noise.  And then I'm unsure which direction I want to go in but either a Steeda adjustable panhard bar or a Fays2 Watts Link.  The Watts Link has the obvious advantage over the panhard bar but at a cost of almost $500 more.  So we'll see.  Hopefully everything will be ordered in the next few weeks.  Then all I have to do is decide whether I want to do the install which will be a learning experience or if I just want to have someone who knows what they're doing handle it.  I like the idea of learning but I also like the idea of it being done right the first time.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
man, that thing is awesome Mike....nice to have a money tree in the back yard!

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
Haha.  There's a reason the mods stop there.  The old saying you have to pay to play... well I can't afford to play much more than that.  The money tree is shriveling up.  That's why the suspension has to wait.  I'm being optimistic with a few weeks here.  Haha.

Thanks for the compliments!

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
I really like that car!  I just saw one tonight something like yours with tinted windows.... looked real nice.  :drool:

I know I'm gonna miss mine when/if I sell it.....
You're only here for a little while, do it while you can.

* Recent Photos

DSC02907.JPG

Views: 3
By: jkilmurray

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal