April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: What type of pad's are you guys using?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
What type of pad's are you guys using?
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:04:30 PM »
This is one topic that I haven't seen talked about very much.... What brand/types of pad's are you guys using?

So far I only have Lake CCS pads - some 4", 5.5", and 6.5". On the CCS pads the 'pockets' are just on a uniform spread, which means some of them break out on the edge of the pad. These pads are also pretty much sharp on the corners, aka no lead or radius. Is it possible for these pads to cause some swirls/marring when not used completely flat on the surface? I'm wondering if they are the best choice for contours and the like....

For example: on the rear quarter panel of my F150 there is a spot where 3 different contours meet (right at the back of where the fender flares out, the lower body panel comes out, and the main bedside joins in). I have some swirl-like marks there and am wondering if its something I did while polishing....

I was looking at the Lake VC and CEVC pads and Meguiar's pads earlier and none of them seem to have the same sharp corner that my CCS pads do.

Just bouncing some of my thoughts off you guys....
LD

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
Re: What type of pad's are you guys using?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »
I have never had a problem. I did just get some new CCS pads and they have a more radius corner.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 02:02:03 PM »
Any one else?

I am looking to get a Flex on order from ADS, and saw I can get either Lake CCS pads, or Cross cut flex foam pads with the kits.....
LD

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
I use both the VC and CCS pads. 

I like the VC for some things and CCS for somethings.  Usually use a combo of both of them. Pads I am not short on.  Have 2 full sets of VC and 3 sets of CCS. 

Not sure I am following your issues, I do like the VC for tighter spots due to the Variable Contact of the pad. 

Does that help?

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 07:13:02 PM »
JP,

Well I'm not sure that I really have an issue.....lol     I was basically wondering if the VC pads were better on some bigger contours and tight spots due to the shape of them, which I think you answered. I believe some of my problem was just from using the CCS orange and #83 on my PC. I've heard a few times now that it doesn't break down with a PC near like it does on a rotary.

On a side note, I bought a Flex today from Rick and went ahead and got the Cross Cut flex pads with it. So, I'll have two types to experience with now if nothing else  :thumbsiup:
LD

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
JP,

Well I'm not sure that I really have an issue.....lol     I was basically wondering if the VC pads were better on some bigger contours and tight spots due to the shape of them, which I think you answered. I believe some of my problem was just from using the CCS orange and #83 on my PC. I've heard a few times now that it doesn't break down with a PC near like it does on a rotary.

On a side note, I bought a Flex today from Rick and went ahead and got the Cross Cut flex pads with it. So, I'll have two types to experience with now if nothing else  :thumbsiup:

Cool....and congrats on the Flex, as for the new Flex pads...a full review by you is required.    :thumbsiup:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline hwm3

• Café Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 11:18:59 PM »
I've got both the CCS and VC pads as well. I like the VC pads, but it is a BIG pad for the PC to spin. I really need to quit putting it off and step up to something with a little more power.

* Recent Photos

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal