April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: More Aggressive Swirl and Scratch Removal in Sunlight  (Read 10843 times)

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
More Aggressive Swirl and Scratch Removal in Sunlight
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
The title is kind of verbose, but it's exactly what I'm looking for.

I used PB SSR2 with a white LC polishing pad in my last detail (on my car - a black mustang).  It seemed to be able to remove most of the light-medium swirling, but I still had deeper swirls that were left behind.  I'm also going to be detailing another car soon (black Mercury Sable) that is in far worse condition.  There's medium-heavy swirling and fine scratches over much of the paint.  I'd like to order some more aggressive products today or tomorrow so I'm wondering what I should go with?  I'm using a pc7424 and I don't really have any shade to work in.  

I've read that it isn't a good idea to use SSR2 with a cutting pad, so I could step up to 2.5. How aggressive is SSR2.5 with a cutting pad such as the orange CCS?  

Are there any other product lines that can be used in the sun with good results?

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:29:10 PM by dkory22 »

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
Re: More Aggressive Swirl and Scratch Removal in Sunlight
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
How many passes did you make with the SSR2 before stepping it down?
Good enough never is

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
I did 5-6 passes, although from the videos I've seen recently I probably should have worked it longer.  I was thinking SSR2 might be suitable for removing the rest of my swirls if I work the product long enough, but the other vehicle is definitely in need of something stronger.  The Sable has visible scratches along the bumper and trunk and in random areas around the rest of the car.  I can't feel them though so I'm assuming they can be removed with the PC.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:28:33 PM by dkory22 »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »
You can jump up to 2.5 on the white or even the orange if need be.  It will definitely have to be stepped down.  Usually either SSR1 or Pro Polish.  Then you could always try Pro Polish 2.  Which if I remember correctly is a non-diminishing abrasive so it will keep cutting as long as you keep working it.  It doesn't break down like traditional diminishing abrasive polishes will.  Sometimes it's a tough call to make and it just requires trial and error (test spots) until you get the right combo.  Not all finishes react the same to the same combos.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »
The other thing you might try is the new Meguiar's microfiber pad system. From what I've heard and seen, it turns a PC into a super correction machine.

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
Hmm, sounds like I'll need to test out the 2.5 with a couple different pads to find what's working best so I'll pick up a new 6 pack.  I guess I'll go with the SSR1 for the time being since I'm just working with a PC.

I'd love to try the Meg's MF system, but I don't have any cool/shady areas to work in :(.  Maybe for my next detail I can pick up a garage!

Still, is there anything else that can be used in the sun?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
I've actually used all types of different products in the sun.  It's not always that they can't be used but that it can be much more difficult because they tend to dry out too fast and can't be worked properly.  For instance, I wouldn't try Meg's 105 in the direct sun, especially on a black car.  105 can be a bear even in a garage.  I've been successful with Menzerna SIP and 106FF in the sun.  I haven't tried it but I'd venture a guess that the Optimum polishes would probably be decent in the sun too seeing as they have longer work times. 

For what it's worth, a lot of people tend to skip over SSR2 and go directly for SSR2.5.  Then again skipping 2 and going down to 1 or PP to finish off. 

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 05:31:17 PM »
Maybe I'll pick up the Optimum compound and polish as well.  What pads do you recommend with that on a PC?  CCS white polishing pad?

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 05:34:48 PM »
The LC White pads would be a good place to start. The Orange might be a bit aggressive witht that product. Remember, if you work a less aggressive product long enough, you'll still get decent results. It just takes longer. If you go too aggressive, you'll spend extra time working out the marring you induced.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »
I agree with, Tom.  The white pads are almost always the best starting point, especially if you're not sure.  They're the workhorse pad.  With more experience, you'll start knowing when it's probably going to require a bit more of an aggressive approach.  Always nice to have a few of each pad on hand though for testing and finding that combo that will work.  Or a dozen or so of each if you're anything like me and hate cleaning pads.  After seeing the pad washer in action though, I'm getting one.  Pad washer + rotary = WIN!  It'll save me a ton of money from throwing pads away and buying new ones out of laziness and pure hatred for cleaning pads.  But I digress.

By the way, you can probably see by now how this can become a costly hobby.  There are so many products and so many ways to go about getting the final result you're after.  No way is particularly wrong as long as it works.  The problem is, you're constantly going to be looking for products that make your life easier.  That's the expensive part.  That and trying new LSPs for that final look.  But that's fun... and expensive.  Haha.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 05:59:38 PM by Kitzy »

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll start with the white pads.  I would think they would be sufficient for the job I'm planning, so we'll see.

Believe me, I know this can get expensive.  I'm seeing all the videos about how much better the flex is over the PC, now I'm wanting one of those.  I was also looking at picking up one of the pad cleaners:

http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard-universal-pad-washer.html

I might have to throw that in with my purchase tonight.  It's a fun hobby, except for things like pad clean up...so that's how I'm justifying $135 on that  :redneck:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »
Well, I think I can speak for most here when I say we're not going to talk you out of it.  Haha.

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »
Too late if you were going to try :).  I should note that the cobra HD waffle weaves are buy one get one right now and the pad washer came with a free cobra finishing pad.

1    GG-UPW - Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer                 134.99
1    OPT-1600 - 18 oz. Optimum Hyper Compound Spray            29.99
1    OPT-1500 - 18 oz. Optimum Hyper Polish Spray              24.99
1    PB-SSR1-32N - 32 oz. Poorboy's World SSR1 Light Abrasi    24.99
1    PB-SSR25-16 - 16 oz. Poorboys Medium Super Swirl Remov    15.99
1    PB-TR16 - 16 oz. Poorboys Trim Restorer                   14.99
1    PB-BS-S - 4 oz. Poorboy's World Bug Squash                 5.99
1    LC-65-COMBO - Lake Country 6.5 CCS Pads- 6 PACK           49.99
2    COBRA-HD200-B - 2 QTY Cobra Gold Guzzler Waffle Weave     39.98
1    paintcare - 10% Off Paint Care & Detailing               -30.19
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                Sub-Total:     311.71

Edit:  I don't know how I ordered the 32oz SSR1 on accident, but I'm sure I'll use it...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:05:36 PM by dkory22 »

Offline dkory22

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »
So I went at the sable today with my new products.  It was incredibly hot so it was difficult to tell which is actually more powerful - SSR 2.5 or Hyper Compound.  It seemed like the Hyper Compound was drying out way too quick so I couldn't work it long enough to remove the deeper swirls.  SSR 2.5 on an orange cutting pad took care of those, although there's still some deeper scratches that I couldn't get out on a single pass.  I'm thinking the sealant will hide them.  Today was just the wash, clay bar, and testing on the hood.  Tomorrow is the rest of the car.

Have any of you ever used Hyper Compound on an orange cutting pad?  Not sure if I should have tried stepping up to that or not.

Also, the pad washer is awesome.  I don't have any pics, but it cleaned the pads better than I ever have by hand.  It was worth the money in my opinion.

Before:

After SSR 2.5 and SSR 1:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 05:39:32 PM by dkory22 »

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
looking good ..    did you get any direct sun shots?
================

Doug

* Recent Photos

Views: 2
By: hwm3

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal