March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: How to tell if I have a leveling kit on my F150  (Read 20923 times)

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
How to tell if I have a leveling kit on my F150
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
I know that I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I am trying to figure out if my truck has a leveling kit on it or not. It's a 2008 Screw Lariat 4x4 with stock 20's that was bought last year. I've been told by a few that it looks like it does but I want a definite yes or no. I would post pics, but don't know exactly what to take a pic of, so let me know what you need to see to know and I'll get a pic up asap, but no making fun of how dirty my wheel wells are!

Here's one pic from right after I got it.

JRod

Offline Center Stage Auto Detailing

• Charter Member
Re: How to tell if I have a leveling kit on my F150
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Take a picture above the front tire of the top of the strut assymbly where it bolts to the truck's frame.  I should be able to easily tell from that angle.

Unless it has a rear drop instead of a front raise.  If that's that case look to see if there is a lift block between the axle and rear spring assymbly.

From the picture you posted it does look to me like it might very well have a front lift (level).

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:40 AM »
Vote #2 for it having a lift kit. The front end's definitely just a bit higher than normal. Oh, and nice truck! Can't wait till you post pics of that bad boy all detailed up! That color's going to look drop dead gorgeous.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »
Looks exactly like my buddies '06 Mark LT after we put 3" pucks in it. He didn't like the front being higher than the back and we put 2.5" pucks instead. I am very sure it has a level kit in the front, the rear is sitting too high to be lowered.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
She ran off with the truck so I can't get any pics up today. I was fixing my car from where some jackass broke in a couple weeks ago and she jumped in and left town. As far as detailing the truck, it will look alot different in the new pics. I have been doing small mods all winter and haven't gotten any pics of it cause it hasn't been cleaned yet.

You can kinda catch a glimpse here

I'll get those pics up first thing after work tomorrow.
JRod

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
Definitely leveled!  Always liked those wheels.
You're only here for a little while, do it while you can.

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
Looks like a 3" level... I know 2" leveled 06+ and 2.5" leveled 04-05's.  3" causes extra stress and is not recomended
John

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
So here is a pic finally. I was going to do it earlier but started taking pics and decided to start getting at the truck. I cleaned the engine, cleaned the wheel wells and tires, and sprayed out the bedrug. Anyway, I assume that the rusty piece at the top is a leveler, but how do I tell the size of it now?

JRod

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:32:58 AM »
That has a leveling kit on it. If you look at the top of the strut assembly there is a spacer (rusted piece of metal) bolted between the strut and the strut mount.
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 10:55:31 AM »
So here is a pic finally. I was going to do it earlier but started taking pics and decided to start getting at the truck. I cleaned the engine, cleaned the wheel wells and tires, and sprayed out the bedrug. Anyway, I assume that the rusty piece at the top is a leveler, but how do I tell the size of it now?

Here?s what I?d suggest:

1) Measure the thickness of the steel making up the shock / coil over tower.
2) Measure the distance from the bottom of the puck to the top of the shock tower.
3) Subtract the thickness of the shock tower material.
4) Apply Hyperdressing to the entire wheel well. (Sorry, I couldn?t resist!)

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »

Here?s what I?d suggest:

2) Measure the distance from the bottom of the puck to the top of the shock tower.

Pic was taken before I cleaned wheel well.
JRod

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 12:23:12 PM »

Here?s what I?d suggest:

Pic was taken before I cleaned wheel well.

I knew that, but I had to pull your chain. How do you like your truck anyway? I love those 20" factory wheels as much as I hate my factory 17" wheels. Man, mine are ugly. I drove the truck home (when it was new) and put the aftermarket 20's on immediately.

Tom

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
Love the truck. It's my first, and it's loaded to gills. The 20's will hopefully be coming off in the next year or so in favor of some black 20's. I measured earlier and from the top of the strut tower to the bottom of the puck and it is less than 2 inches, and that includes the metal from the tower. So now I'm totally lost. I guess it's a 2 inch in there, I was expecting more considering it looks like my front is higher than the rear. Did some more work tonight getting ready for the big cleaning this weekend. I painted the wheel wells, detailed the inside, and put some hyperdressing on the motor.
JRod

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
Love the truck. It's my first, and it's loaded to gills. The 20's will hopefully be coming off in the next year or so in favor of some black 20's. I measured earlier and from the top of the strut tower to the bottom of the puck and it is less than 2 inches, and that includes the metal from the tower. So now I'm totally lost. I guess it's a 2 inch in there, I was expecting more considering it looks like my front is higher than the rear. Did some more work tonight getting ready for the big cleaning this weekend. I painted the wheel wells, detailed the inside, and put some hyperdressing on the motor.

Ah yes, black - the color I love to hate. There's a post in here somewhere on a similar black F-150 that I detailed for a friend last year. (In fact he's bugging me for a return engagement.) There's a ton of surface area on these trucks so make sure the cooler is well stocked before you start. The other thing you want to make sure of is to tape off all of the black textured plastic before you start with any correction work. There's more than you think and it looks like hell if you get any polish on it. The results will be well worth it though.

BTW, just for giggles, when you're done, just post pics of the wheel wells as a bit of a payback for our jumping all over you last time!

Offline jkilmurray

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 01:32:08 PM »
I'm gonna do a whole thread on my wheel wells to get back at everyone for busting my balls about them. :burn: Anyone have any ideas about the leveling kit?
JRod

* Recent Photos

New Sigma glass

Views: 5
By: todbnla

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal