1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Cottonwood Tree Sap  (Read 27430 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Cottonwood Tree Sap
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
I know this one's been covered before, but I'm really stumped. My son parked his car (on a sunny day) under a rather massive cottonwood tree. This time of year, they drop a sticky green bud that must be used as the basic ingredient for super glue. Needless to say, baking these things in the sun doesn't help matters. And since the engine was warm, the hood was even hotter.

So here's the problem. I spent an hour this morning with APC and nothing more than my fingers. (I pretty well resisted the urge to use my fingernails.) The APC would somewhat dissolve the sap and about half of the smaller spots came off. Some of the bigger spots are over 1/4" across though and they're apparently not coming off without nuclear weapons. Clay didn't even touch 90% of the spots. I gave up, rinsed the entire front end, hit it with SSR 1, then put a quick coat of Duragloss on it just because I'd removed everything else - and the tree is at his mom's house.

Any suggestions for baked on / case hardened tree sap?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Cottonwood Tree Sap
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:41:32 PM »
I know this one's been covered before, but I'm really stumped. My son parked his car (on a sunny day) under a rather massive cottonwood tree. This time of year, they drop a sticky green bud that must be used as the basic ingredient for super glue. Needless to say, baking these things in the sun doesn't help matters. And since the engine was warm, the hood was even hotter.

So here's the problem. I spent an hour this morning with APC and nothing more than my fingers. (I pretty well resisted the urge to use my fingernails.) The APC would somewhat dissolve the sap and about half of the smaller spots came off. Some of the bigger spots are over 1/4" across though and they're apparently not coming off without nuclear weapons. Clay didn't even touch 90% of the spots. I gave up, rinsed the entire front end, hit it with SSR 1, then put a quick coat of Duragloss on it just because I'd removed everything else - and the tree is at his mom's house.

Any suggestions for baked on / case hardened tree sap?

PP has a lot of cleaners in it..you could try that but you also have me stumped on the APC and it didn't come off.   Very odd.   May have to resort to purple clay and marr the crap out the surface only to correct it again.  

Tom everybody knows the best way to fix this is to use IPA.    (disregard the date of this edit...nothing to see here so stop reading)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:30:53 PM by Rollingrock »
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
Stoner Tarminator works great on tree sap, just spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes and the sap will loosen up and usually comes off pretty easily.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:37:23 PM »
I was going to say Tarminator as well.  You could try APC straight, too.  Plastic razor blades will probably take the bulk of it off allowing the Tarminator or APC to work much better.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
Great ideas guys! Why didn't I think of them. (Don't answer that.) I've got to see if I can scare up some Tarminator locally. I know where to get the plastic razor blades at least.

You ought to see and feel this stuff. It's rock hard and baked in.

Thanks again!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
Mike and Justin, you guys are great! I borrowed some Stoner's Tarminator and did exactly what you said. It wasn't wipe on and wipe off, but it did do the trick. Thanks for the pointers!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
Glad to hear it worked out for you. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Mike and Justin, you guys are great! I borrowed some Stoner's Tarminator and did exactly what you said. It wasn't wipe on and wipe off, but it did do the trick. Thanks for the pointers!

No problem!  I love Tarminator and usually use it on almost every detail that I do.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
glad my advice wasn't followed this time.   

Seems being laid off and new job traveling 80% time makes you rusty!   
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:30:14 AM »
Do you think IPA could have worked?
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 06:44:54 AM »
Do you think IPA could have worked?

Good question. I didn't try that one either. Somehow though, I get the feeling that I'm going to have to remove at least a few more spots before the darn trees are done dropping these little beauties. So I'll probably have far more practice than I care to think about. I'll put IPA on my list of things to try. Thanks!

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
Just be careful if you resort to full strength APC.  It doesn't always play nice at full strength.

================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 11:01:33 AM »
I wouldn't expect much from IPA.  Goo gone on the other hand might have worked well.  Goo gone absolutely destroyed the double sided tape that was left on my eecklid from the original spoiler.  I'm kind of wondering how WD40 would have faired.  Obviously it'd be a good idea to give these areas a good wash or atleast a wipedown with a QD and then waxed after you get the sap removed. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:09:04 AM »
Just be careful if you resort to full strength APC.  It doesn't always play nice at full strength.

I hear you there. I got burned once on a satin black bull bar and the stuff. It dulled the surface in the spots the APC hit. I had to scramble to fix that mess.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:35 AM »
I wouldn't expect much from IPA.  Goo gone on the other hand might have worked well.  Goo gone absolutely destroyed the double sided tape that was left on my eecklid from the original spoiler.  I'm kind of wondering how WD40 would have faired.  Obviously it'd be a good idea to give these areas a good wash or atleast a wipedown with a QD and then waxed after you get the sap removed. 

Absolutely there Mike. My son just wanted to get going to meet the guys and I wouldn't let him leave until I protected the surface with something. Ah, youth!

* Recent Photos

IMG_9401.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal