1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Programmers and Tunes  (Read 4687 times)

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
Programmers and Tunes
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:58:48 AM »
Who's good with mechanical issues/questions in general? 

I've been running a PHP Gryphon for some time now.  Was running a custom 87 performance tune for awhile but had issues with it, and the more the vendor would try to "tweak" the tune, the more the performance declined.  More importantly, I just don't trust the tune anymore.

I've been running the canned 87 tow tune as my daily driver.  For the most part, I LOVE this tune.  I've noticed that every once in awhile, my upshift from 1st to 2nd is VERY firm.  This usually happens when I'm going very easy on acceleration and the shift happens at low RPMs.  The firmness isn't as noticeable when accelerating and subsequently making the upshift at higher RPMs. 

The periodic 1 to 2 hard upshift doesn't really bother me b/c it doesn't happen often, but my question is does anyone think it could cause damage, abnormal wear and tear, etc.???  I'm working with the guys on PHP forum regarding this issue as well but it doesn't hurt to get extra insight. 
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
Re: Programmers and Tunes
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »
A nice firm shift will do more good than harm but if it is to firm it will eventually cause more wear on drive line part (u-joints, drive shaft, axles) over time. I know on my Xcal it gives you the option to adjust options like shift firmness, shift RPM, and a couple other things. I am having something similar happening with the tune I am running from Innovative but I am trying to figure out if it's my driving style or the tune it self before I play with the shift firmness. So far I think it's me and I trying to relearn how to drive the truck again.
Good enough never is

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Who's good with mechanical issues/questions in general? 

I've been running a PHP Gryphon for some time now.  Was running a custom 87 performance tune for awhile but had issues with it, and the more the vendor would try to "tweak" the tune, the more the performance declined.  More importantly, I just don't trust the tune anymore.

I've been running the canned 87 tow tune as my daily driver.  For the most part, I LOVE this tune.  I've noticed that every once in awhile, my upshift from 1st to 2nd is VERY firm.  This usually happens when I'm going very easy on acceleration and the shift happens at low RPMs.  The firmness isn't as noticeable when accelerating and subsequently making the upshift at higher RPMs. 

The periodic 1 to 2 hard upshift doesn't really bother me b/c it doesn't happen often, but my question is does anyone think it could cause damage, abnormal wear and tear, etc.???  I'm working with the guys on PHP forum regarding this issue as well but it doesn't hurt to get extra insight. 

If I'm not mistaken, the abrupt 1-2 upshift is a clutch pack issue within the F-150 transmission because I had it too on my 2005. If it is, your programmer isn't going to be able to do much with it. My '05 occasionally really banged that shift - especially under light throttle.

Offline Kaleb G

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
BigSur, this is the same thing that was bugging me about mine a few weeks ago.  You can play with the shift firmness in the tune and it works really well. 

Just go like you're going to change to a different tune but hit the 87 tow again.  You do want to customize the tune.  Then go to shift firmness.  I think my current settings are -3, -3, and -2.  I'm going to bump all of them down one more, though.

I talked to PHP about it and they said as long as I can still feel it shifting then I'm fine.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:42:54 AM »
All good responses, thanks guys.  I think TS might be right, b/c I believe I "may" have felt this before I installed the programmer.  Under "most" conditions, the shifts are fine.....it's an occasional firm shift under light throttle, and it's only from 1 to 2.  And like Grey stated, I've sort of relearned how to drive the truck considering my tune of choice, so I almost know how to avoid it.

TS....did you ever have your clutch pack issue resolved by Ford?...or did you just live with it?
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
TS....did you ever have your clutch pack issue resolved by Ford?...or did you just live with it?

Ford's stance was that it was a known issue - that wouldn't hurt anything. (Sound familiar?) I eventually solved that problem - and all of the other ones that truck had - by trading it in.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:23:38 PM »

Ford's stance was that it was a known issue - that wouldn't hurt anything. (Sound familiar?) I eventually solved that problem - and all of the other ones that truck had - by trading it in.

I've been lucky so far with this truck...no major issues.  It's a good thing b/c I've got too much $$ in it.  I've already been scoping my next potential truck; will be a few years though.

It's good to know that it's really just a "trait" other than a real issue that might cause bigger problems down the road.  Thanks for the help.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:21 PM »
I just ordered a tune for the SHO.  I can't wait to get it.

================

Doug

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
I just ordered a tune for the SHO.  I can't wait to get it.

You should notice a real difference in the EcoBoost if it responds the way a diesel does to a tune.
Good enough never is

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 02:35:55 PM »
More boost is always good ..  :nw:
================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:44:47 PM »
My wheel and tire issue set my tune and intake back a little bit. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 8
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal