April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Need Camper Help  (Read 7598 times)

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
Need Camper Help
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
I could use some support making a purchase decision, especially since many of you guys have camper experience.

I looked at 2 campers today....a 2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26bh and a 2010 Jayco Jay Flight 26 bh.  I don't know much about the Cherokee brand but I've always read and heard that Jayco is a much better brand.  In fact, my popup is a Jayco and we loved it. 

Here are links to both.  What do you guys think?

http://www.doddrv.com/inventory/140509/New-2011-Forest-River-RV-Cherokee-Grey-Wolf--26BH.aspx

http://www.dixiervsuperstore.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=05434229X4K25K2011J3I29I15JPMQ4046R0&veh=147960&pov=1357484
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Need4racin

• Café Member
Re: Need Camper Help
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
I don't know too much about campers but on some trailers I have seen terrible welds. Crawl under each of them and check the welds on the frame and see how everything is painted.

Offline Center Stage Auto Detailing

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:49:41 PM »
I bought a 26BH last Feb.  The welds on mine are good.  Me being me I did crawl hitch to bumper under mine to look it over.  lol
We have 7 nights in ours so far.  I'll help with questions as I can.
Can see a lot of what I've done to it here http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=2173.0

Though I can't really compare the two.  I don't know anything about the Cherokees.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »
I bought a 26BH last Feb.  The welds on mine are good.  Me being me I did crawl hitch to bumper under mine to look it over.  lol
We have 7 nights in ours so far.  I'll help with questions as I can.
Can see a lot of what I've done to it here http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=2173.0

Though I can't really compare the two.  I don't know anything about the Cherokees.

Did you buy yours new or used?  I'm already leaning this way.  I've done some research...the Jay Flight seems to be the better option.  Only real question I have for now is.....have you had to pull it on any hills and overall, how does it pull with your F150 (assuming you have a 5.4)
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:24:58 PM »
Center Stage, I read your thread in detail.  I was actually following it pretty closely for awhile but it didn't sink in that you bought a 26 bh.  We have a lot in common b/w the camper, toddlers, upgrade from a popup etc.  Pretty crazy  :redneck:  I LOVE the mods you applied, so I'll likely be in touch with you soon with some questions.  If you don't mind me asking, I'd like to know about what you paid for yours....that will give me an idea what kind of deal I'm getting.  I'll PM you about that one.  I really like this camper......I think I'm going to pull the trigger this week.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Center Stage Auto Detailing

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
Yeah, I have 5.4 with 3.73's and 33" rubber
I've pulled some pretty steep grades but not in any mountains.
We have some pretty serious canyons around here though.
It pulls pretty well, but you can sure tell it's behind you.  
I have to watch my tranny temps pretty close but I haven't been over 210deg and that was through the canyons with a 20mph headwind.
We're going up to a F250 oil burner for the next truck.  But we're in no real hurry.  It'll probably be a year or more.
On flat ground the truck doesn't break a sweat.  Get ready for about 7-9mpg though.

We bought ours used.  I think it was a repo.  Nothing wrong with it and was nicely kept.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
I too have had a Jayco 26BH.....very good quality camper for the price. 

Better warranty, better service blah blah.   My vote is Jayco.   

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:20 PM »

Why did you get rid of yours JP?
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:34 PM »

Camping can be like being OCD in detailing....a slippery slop.   I got the F250 and then it was  "lets get a bigger camper" 

I am in my second Jayco.    Started with the 26BH, now in the 31.5BHDS.   (2008)   

I hope to stay with Jayco.   Just prefer the amenities for the price.   Amish made word work, insulated underbelly,  close to a 4 season camper.   

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »

Camping can be like being OCD in detailing....a slippery slop.   I got the F250 and then it was  "lets get a bigger camper" 

I am in my second Jayco.    Started with the 26BH, now in the 31.5BHDS.   (2008)   

I hope to stay with Jayco.   Just prefer the amenities for the price.   Amish made word work, insulated underbelly,  close to a 4 season camper.   

Gotcha.  I'm pretty excited about it.  My main concern right now is weight, although I know that 4700lbs is not all that bad.  I just need to keep my F150 going for as long as possible, and I do quite a bit of mountain camping in the Blue Ridge.  My Dad pulled a 6500 lb Jayco G2 for less than a year before buying his F250.  I don't want to have to do that.  Hopefully, all will be well.  I'll post pics once I pick her up.

BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »

Gotcha.  I'm pretty excited about it.  My main concern right now is weight, although I know that 4700lbs is not all that bad.  I just need to keep my F150 going for as long as possible, and I do quite a bit of mountain camping in the Blue Ridge.  My Dad pulled a 6500 lb Jayco G2 for less than a year before buying his F250.  I don't want to have to do that.  Hopefully, all will be well.  I'll post pics once I pick her up.

the weight isn't the problem....its pulling a 26ft cinder block.   Set proper expectations.   Your truck is going to rev higher and you are going to go slower and you will get terrible MPG's.   IT'S NORMAL and fine.   its what the truck was designed for....just get used to it. 

Try not to pull at 70.   Dry weight is 4700 but put gear in it, you are closing in on 7K.   

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:00:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice/info.  I'll have some decisions to make for sure.  I'm also a little concerned about storage, which I have very little, as well as fuel expense.  I'm wondering if I should go to something much smaller and lighter like an expandable or something.  Anything is better than what I have now, so we'll see.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice/info.  I'll have some decisions to make for sure.  I'm also a little concerned about storage, which I have very little, as well as fuel expense.  I'm wondering if I should go to something much smaller and lighter like an expandable or something.  Anything is better than what I have now, so we'll see.

one of our camping friends has a hybrid.  17ft closed, then king bed slides out in front and king bed slides out in the rear left side.   dinette and fridge, small stove, full bath.   They are only limited to their tanks.   1 30gal black and 1 30 gal grey for both shower and galley.   They use the camp facilities often when staying for more than a few days.   They have two girls who need their showers.  The best thing about their camper, they can pull that sucker anywhere they want too.   They have an older F150 with a 5.4 (02 model) and it pulls that trailer like a shadow. 

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 09:15:51 AM »

one of our camping friends has a hybrid.  17ft closed, then king bed slides out in front and king bed slides out in the rear left side.   dinette and fridge, small stove, full bath.   They are only limited to their tanks.   1 30gal black and 1 30 gal grey for both shower and galley.   They use the camp facilities often when staying for more than a few days.   They have two girls who need their showers.  The best thing about their camper, they can pull that sucker anywhere they want too.   They have an older F150 with a 5.4 (02 model) and it pulls that trailer like a shadow. 

Do you happen to know how time consuming and/or how much effort is required to slide out the beds.  That is the main reason I want to get out of my popup.  I'm hoping to eliminate all the unnecessary setup time.

BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 09:31:29 AM »

Do you happen to know how time consuming and/or how much effort is required to slide out the beds.  That is the main reason I want to get out of my popup.  I'm hoping to eliminate all the unnecessary setup time.

totally understand...it does take a little effort and time but I would say 2/3'rds less than what you have now.   

Have you considered fining a used Hilo or TrailManor?   We have another friend with a TrailManor, he can be set up in 10 min.  No canvas, hard sides, pulls like your PUP and when open they are massive.   

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal