March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Wheel Clear Coat Question  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Watson91

• Café Member
Wheel Clear Coat Question
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
Okay, this is not really a detailing question.  I have Dick Cepek DC1, which I guess I failed to do my research when buying them.  They have bolts around the outside edge, so you can add on an aftermarket Simulated Beadlock Ring.  Apparently these bolts are known to cause cracks in clear coat, and because of this Dick Cepek made a new model without the bolts.

I called up Tire Rack because my wheels have began to do this.  I ordered them 2/23/10, and made contact with Tire Rack earlier this month.  They told me they would cover them under a "Finish Warranty", but after seeing pictures of scratches on the backside of the wheel from being mounted they will no longer cover the wheels. So, now I'm pretty much screwed because they are being difficult..

Here are a few pictures:

I have a couple of questions. 
1) Will this spread further? And if so is there a way to prevent this.
2) I have heard of having clear coat stripped and being powder coated with a clear.  Does anyone have experience with this?

I know this probably isn't the right place to do it, but I figure since everyone knows about detailing that maybe someone would know how to help me with my problem.  If you fill this is uneccesary to be posted here you can take further actions and I understand.

Offline roushstage2

• Café Member
Re: Wheel Clear Coat Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
Providing the shop didn't actually damage the wheel...

Who mounted them?  I'd have that tire shop call Tire Rack and explain that the mounting process didn't damage the wheel, since Tire Rack is saying that the shop caused the damage.

Write a formal letter of complaint to Tire Rack explaining the situation, perhaps with a letter from the shop as well stating that they correctly mounted the tires and didn't cause damage to the wheel.  Keep a copy and mail it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:47:31 PM by roushstage2 »

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »
I fail to see why the scratches on the back would have anything to do with whats going on with the clear coat in the front.  I would ask to speak to a higher up.  Make them explain to you how they have anything in common.  There is no way that mounting them caused the failure you're seeing.  Really, what do they expect?  Did they think you were going to buy the wheels and never have anything mounted on them?  I would find as many instances of this issue that you can and forward them all to tire rack and maybe even Dick Cepek which I believe is part of Mickey Thompson is it not?

In my opinion, whether it continues to spread or not isn't even an issue.  It's already there and it's obvious that it bothers you as it should.  As for stripping the clear off, you can get paint stripper from auto parts stores that will remove the clear coat but it will strip the black off as well.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Watson91

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:49:08 PM »
The scratches on the back have nothing to do with the clear coat.  But because they are there from mounting tire rack claims they wont take the wheels back now.  Here is an exert from my email.

"There can be no curb rash or mounting or dismounting damage. As long as there is none of these then the will be covered."  

They know that mounting didn't cause it, but I think buy saying this they are basically trying to make it where my wheels are not going to be covered by them.  I actually just found a number to a sponsor on the f150 site.  He deals directly with the F150 guys on the forums, I may try giving him a call and see if I can go anywhere.  As for the wheel having curb rash, I know there is none of that.  I don't recall them having any scratches on the front.  I'm pretty good about keeping the wheels and truck clean.  The wheels are discontinued and obviously screwed up so I'm not sure why any scratches from mounting or dismounting are going to make them un-returnable?

The reason is basically what they want me to do is buy a new set.  Pay for them and shipping. I then must pay shipping back to them, and then if the wheels check out fine they will credit me the original cost from the first set of wheels.  Seems pretty sketchy to me and I have a feeling I will get screwed.  So, I asked for a formal document signed by someone saying that this is what would happen.  I don't want to order a new set then they end up claiming they wont take these wheels back.  The lady pretty much re-stated the process.  I admitted that when they were mounted they had some scratches from the machine.  (Every set of wheels I have ever had mounted ended up with scratches or some sort of marking, I just thought it was unavoidable.) She then pretty much said then I wouldn't get my money back.

My second problem is that, now Dick Cepek has discontinued the DC-1 and the only wheel now is the DC-2.  I'm not a fan of the DC-2 center cap, but it wouldn't brake the deal.  I just feel I'm getting screwed in this deal.  I have to pay extra for the price of the new models.

After 4 tires - $45.00
Shipping to me - $61.00
Shipping back - $61.00
Total: $167.00

I also have to pay to un-mount then re-mount and balance the tires who knows how much that is.  So because I ended up with a faulty set of wheels I have to pay out over $200 bucks.  I'm in college and really don't want to be spending that type of money.

I know it's not the best way, but if I knew the clear wouldn't crack more I would consider building a set of simulated bead locks to cover it up, then possibly fix the situation down the road when I could throw the money away.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 07:59:55 PM by Watson91 »

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »
Getting back to your original question, yes, you have a pretty classic case of clear coat failure. What it is leading to is oxidation of the base aluminum. Somewhat complicating matters is the fact the the wheel maufacturer did a dumb thing and used two dis-similar metals (stainless stell bolts in an aluminum wheel) which gives you some galvanic corrosion too. No wonder they discontinued that design.

As for what you can do to repair it, you can get the clear coat stripped and apply something new - like clear powder coat if you want. But, since you have the two dis-similar metals there, I think you'd be right back in the soup again pretty soon. Unfortunately, new wheels are probably the only way to go. I'd complain dirctly to Cepek and see what happens.

Offline Watson91

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »
If I leave the wheel alone will what has already happened spread?  If it will continue to spread I will fight the battle I guess.  I just feel I rather not.  I have a warped manifold, and a 4wd IWE going out, and I would rather put my funds towards that. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
If I leave the wheel alone will what has already happened spread?  If it will continue to spread I will fight the battle I guess.  I just feel I rather not.  I have a warped manifold, and a 4wd IWE going out, and I would rather put my funds towards that. 

Unfortunately, yes, it will continue to spread. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On the good news end, you do know that replacing IWE's is pretty simple, right?

Offline Watson91

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:41:17 AM »
It's no problem.  It's pretty much what I figured would happen.  Well I will fight this fight more then.

On the bright side I'm not to worried about replacing the manifold or the IWE.  I just replaced cam phasers in both sides, which sucked, but wasn't to hard.  I can't imagine either of these will be any more difficult. At worst the manifold will be time consuming.

* Recent Photos

Snow Storm 6

Views: 1
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal