1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Starting off...  (Read 15306 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Starting off...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »
That looks good Stealth...remember if you need hands on tech support...you know where to find me.

Thanks a ton!

Oh and so is Attworth...he is actually closer to you.   

I am sure he enjoys it when I offer his help up.    :hp:

Don't forget 2stroked.  For a flight down, a room and food he'll help you out too. 

Like he said! Especially true when it's -5 in Rochester like it was Monday.

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »
Wow you guys sure are ready to help! :beer:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
Wow you guys sure are ready to help! :beer:

Yup, right up to the point where we have to start spending money!

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »
I think I need to move to Texas for all the detailing help, WV is a long way away from anyone here  :boohoo:

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
Well fudge. PC and pads showed this week but none of the other supplies have made it. Weather was 75 today and supposed to be nice tomorrow too. Went fishing today though (Squaw Creek), priorities. lol At least we caught fish and had a good time. Can't wait to practice on the old hail damaged hood I kept...

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
Still haven't started yet due to crappy weather, but am building my supply gradually. Bought some foam applicators and megs hot shine and 40 rubber conditioner/protectant from oreillys, and ordered five more uber pads and a pad brush. Need to pick up bucket grit guards and some more mf towels.

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
Well after dinner, or is it supper, I washed the truck, two bucket method. Found out I love microfiber drying towels. It was getting late so I had to work fast.

I picked a spot on the lid and started claying that area. Then I taped off an 18" or so square. It was getting close to dark but I pressed on. Got my pc7424xp and put some M105 on an uber green pad and did two sets of six passes and wiped. Then M205 and an uber blue pad and did one set of six passes then wiped. I was putting medium pressure on the 5 setting. Then took the NXT on the uber black pad with no pressure and did one set of six passes and let it dry, then wiped. It looks noticeably different and I can't believe how easy it was. I still have some scratches and swirls so I need to pick up some s/x since mine was all separated.

Sure is gratifying to make the truck look good, even if it is just a good looking 18" square right now. :redneck:

Pics to come tomorrow.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »
Well after dinner, or is it supper, I washed the truck, two bucket method. Found out I love microfiber drying towels. It was getting late so I had to work fast.

I picked a spot on the lid and started claying that area. Then I taped off an 18" or so square. It was getting close to dark but I pressed on. Got my pc7424xp and put some M105 on an uber green pad and did two sets of six passes and wiped. Then M205 and an uber blue pad and did one set of six passes then wiped. I was putting medium pressure on the 5 setting. Then took the NXT on the uber black pad with no pressure and did one set of six passes and let it dry, then wiped. It looks noticeably different and I can't believe how easy it was. I still have some scratches and swirls so I need to pick up some s/x since mine was all separated.

Sure is gratifying to make the truck look good, even if it is just a good looking 18" square right now. :redneck:

Pics to come tomorrow.

"ain't it fun when they get it"   To quote RockPick, "this stuff isn't Rocket Science"....there is still skill, patience know how and with our help, you get to skip a lot of pain that we had to learn the hard way.  Think of the Cafe as best practices.  :) 

Looking forward to your photos.  

RR

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
I'm already making a list of stuff I think I need to get from the AP store tomorrow, like more QD spray, some more mf towels, s/x, and I think I need some more clay. Used the Murphy oil soap to clean my pads. Worked pretty good. I need to get a plastic container to keep my towels and pads in. It was pretty hard to clean my wheel wells properly since it was dark and the truck is lowered 2/4.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »
Eventually you will want to get a Brinkman Light to check your work...day or nite.
http://www.autogeek.net/brinkmann-swirl-finder-light.html
I think Amazon has them for $25
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
I think you could probably play around with 105 and 205 a bit more if you still have swirls rather than get Scratch X.  That's only if you want to save money.  Most of us here would probably get it anyway because we're all screwed in the head and like to try stuff out for the sake of trying it out even if we don't need it.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:29 PM »
Eventually you will want to get a Brinkman Light to check your work...day or nite.
http://www.autogeek.net/brinkmann-swirl-finder-light.html
I think Amazon has them for $25
Yeah I saw those on an AG pc video. I was using an led flashlight, not the same effect. lol

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
I think you could probably play around with 105 and 205 a bit more if you still have swirls rather than get Scratch X.  That's only if you want to save money.  Most of us here would probably get it anyway because we're all screwed in the head and like to try stuff out for the sake of trying it out even if we don't need it.
Yeah it was really hard to see/tell how I was doing with the 105/205, but I have some scratches I need to address so im just going to get the s/x.

It is not a sickness. It is not a sickness. lol

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:02 AM »
It is not a sickness. It is not a sickness. lol

You have joined the correct support/enabling group.  :redneck:
Good enough never is

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
Clayed most of the truck and did 105, 205, then nxt on the bed and lid. Had to quit because it got dark. Lots of correction... No pics yet. :hp:

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 2
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal