1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Starting off...  (Read 15285 times)

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
Starting off...
« on: January 22, 2011, 06:43:05 PM »
I just ordered from Detailer's Domain The Uber Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher Base Kit, along with their 20% off winter blues discount. Good deal. It comes with a 5" backing plate and four 5.5" pads, which I ordered green, blue, and two black.

I'll be getting a clay bar kit, some M105, M205, and some NXT2.0.

I'm new to this detailing stuff, but I think I'm heading in the right direction. I read and saved/printed the Detailer's Guide from here, it sure is a lot of info to absorb, but I think with it you guys help when I need it I'll be fine.

The main reason I decided to start this is my truck's paint is really starting to show swirls and the like. I just have to remember not to get carried away with the start so I won't mess anything up. I do have an old hood I'll be practicing on before I actually do let loose on the truck.

Here's a pic I shot today where you can see from a distance how bad the swirls and imperfections are. I'm too embarrassed to show a close up.  :doh:

Wish me luck on this new journey, and thanks for any tips you guys give me.  :beer:

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Re: Starting off...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:32 PM »
Hey Stealth! Nice to see ya. I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm the dumb young kid who bought that grille guard from you. It saved my truck by the way..

If you need any help, give me a shout. I'm down in Benbrook now so it'd be a short trip to see ya (unless you've moved)

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 09:08:15 PM »
Of course I remember you! lol Yes I've moved, but am still in Burleson. My truck needs help, so I decided to take the plunge. Lots to learn, but I are smart!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 09:52:08 PM »
Looks like you got a good start.  You're going to want some good microfiber towels for product removal. 

I was going to suggest getting some white pads but apparently that's not an option looking at the base kit.  I know the Uber pads are only sold by Detailer's Domain but I thought the foams were the same yet.  Can anyone clarify that? 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »
Of course I remember you! lol Yes I've moved, but am still in Burleson. My truck needs help, so I decided to take the plunge. Lots to learn, but I are smart!

Just give me a shout if you need help. I'd be happy to come spend an afternoon spreading the disease... er, I mean knowledge.

:slow:

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »

Yes, Mike, I'd have to agree with you there. I find that the white LC pads are my "go to" pads for almost anything. The orange pad is pretty aggressive - especially for somebody new. The other pads are much less aggressive - and I generally use them for more finishing work.

Stealth, I'd maybe suggest getting a few white pads. I really think you'll find that they are a great combination of being aggressive enough to get most imperfections out, but not so aggressive as to allow one to mess up.

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 10:19:03 AM »
Yeah I've been studying the LC chart that I've seen RR post. I saved it on my PB so I could refer back to it. So much information out there to absorb before I get busy.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »
 :Old Dogg?:

If it's the soft orange pad you will be ok but if it is the hard orange pad...I concur on the orange pad (extra work).  Especially on black paint.  Once you get  it right white and black or blue will be your go to pads.  Remember it's easier to control more aggressive products and milder pads than vice versa.
My truck paint is nearly 7 years old and people still think it's been repainted (even a ford factory paint rep).
You will be amazed at what a bit of good detail knowledge and the proper tools and products will do.
You will also be amazed how deep the rabbit hole is.
Good luck! :cheers:
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:35:06 PM »
OK here's list of what I've ordered so far.

The Uber Porter Cable 7424XP Orbital Polisher Base Kit with the four pads.
Meguiar's M105 8oz.
Meguiar's M205 8oz.
Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel 3 pack
Meguiar's HiTech Yellow Wax Liquid M26 16oz. (carnauba wax)
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (18-Ounce Liquid)
Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit

I have other stuff like wash buckets, MF wash mit, assorted MF towels, Megs gold class wash, S-X, Rain-x, Stoner's invisible glass, and a Megs tire dressing I like, so the hit could have been worse.

But it's a start.

I agree on the orange pad on black paint (good thing I didn't order one yet). Been studying pad media with regards to the aggressiveness of polishes, harsh pad and harsh polish does make for more work. I'll most likely be taking it easy at the beginning so I can learn what I'm doing. It's going to be fun for sure. Pics are a must.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
That looks good Stealth...remember if you need hands on tech support...you know where to find me.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Stealth

• Charter Member
  • Rookie
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »
That looks good Stealth...remember if you need hands on tech support...you know where to find me.

Thanks a ton!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »

Thanks a ton!

Oh and so is Attworth...he is actually closer to you.   

I am sure he enjoys it when I offer his help up.    :hp:

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 01:01:23 AM »
Last thing I would like to add is that good correcting, polishing and LSP are only going to last as long and as good as your wash/drying techniques.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 07:35:24 AM »

Thanks a ton!

Don't forget 2stroked.  For a flight down, a room and food he'll help you out too. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 08:31:24 AM »

Thanks a ton!

Don't forget 2stroked.  For a flight down, a room and food he'll help you out too. 

:dunno:

Nice stash there Stealth!

* Recent Photos

IMG_3672.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal