* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Opti-Seal on Dirty Rims?????  (Read 8786 times)

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
Opti-Seal on Dirty Rims?????
« on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »
I have a quick question for you guys.  We just got some snow....very atypical for us here but we do occasionly get hit with winter storms.

Of course, there is salt all over the roads and it's just waiting to eat up my chrome rims.  My rims are slightly dirty; I washed and polished about 2 weeks ago.  Does anyone see a problem with spraying on some Opti-Seal and wiping them down for some extra protection.....without washing them first?  

Ill probably give them a rinse every time I get home until the roads wash down but was thinking the opti-seal might help.  Wasn't sure about applying it to a dirty rim and wiping down with a MF.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Opti-Seal on Dirty Rims?????
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »
You should really clean them first.  You risk marring the chrome and the Opti-Seal won't take to the wheel.  Even if it did, you would probably seal in any dirt.  If you can't wash it traditionally, try to use a waterless wash at least.  Even if it's just over the counter, it's better than trying to seal a dirty wheel.  If you have quick detailer that leans on the side of cleaning rather than gloss enhancing, you could try that first too.  Then seal the wheels with Opti-Seal. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:46:30 PM »
Good answer; I was expecting that but wanted an outside opinion, so thanks.

This is becoming an ongoing struggle for me.  I don't want to change out wheels every winter....and at the same time, I don't want to have to be terrified of being in salt a couple of days at a time (once or twice per year).  I think I'm just going to run them until the roads are dry...then wash and seal them.  If they don't last.....time for some stronger wheels.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »
I long ago gave up any hope of running any kind of aftermarket wheel from about Thanksgiving until tax time up here. We just use too much road salt and no matter how careful one tries to be, the salt always wins. Nothing short of factory paint, plating and / or clear coat can stand up to the Morton Salt girl. (She should be carrying a baseball bat instead of an umbrella.) And, once the damage is done, you're pretty much up a creek without a paddle.

Does Opti-Seal on a clean wheel help? Yes, but it's not nearly enough protection. Believe it or not, the best stuff I found for brief and effective protection was WD-40.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
I was looking forward to seeing how the polished aluminum wheels on my Expedition held up over this winter since I had Opti-Coat on them.  Then I traded it in so now I'll never know.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
I've heard about using wd40 but have never tried it.  I might just have to do that when I take my next snowboarding trip.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 08:41:13 AM »
Guys, I need to so some waterless cleaning on my rims SOON.  I have no Optimum or Spray n Wipe right now.  Can't I just use a general QD to spray them and wipe them down?
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:01:04 AM »
No water at all available? That's going to make it really tough to get everything off.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:05:28 AM »
No water at all available? That's going to make it really tough to get everything off.

Hoses are completely frozen.  I could use water at the wand wash, but they'll be dirtly by the time I get home.  I just need to make it a few more days and all the crap will be off the road.  I'll do a full wash then.  I just need to keep them wiped down as best as possible in the interim.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
Use a waterless wash like Poorboys Spray and Wipe.  Or a rinseless wash like ONR.  Just to tide you over until you can wash them right.   

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
I'd definitely like to try the PB's Spray n Wipe and will probably order some.  Problem is it won't get here for a few days.  I'll come up with something in the meantime.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
WD-40 is your best friend right now.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

I was thinking about that.  I've got a can on the shelf.

You think it's okay to apply it even if their dirty or should I wash first.  I'd rather wait to wash until this crap is off the roads.  Most of the roads are dry already.  I'll probably be able  to do a wash in another day or 2.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
I don't think it matters if the roads are dry or not really.  The day before the storm they had already treated the roads.  Even though they were dry, you could see the cars kicking up everything that they put down and my car was white from the door handles down after a 40 mile round trip drive. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »

I was thinking about that.  I've got a can on the shelf.

You think it's okay to apply it even if their dirty or should I wash first.  I'd rather wait to wash until this crap is off the roads.  Most of the roads are dry already.  I'll probably be able  to do a wash in another day or 2.

I'd wash and rinse very well, dry, then apply the WD-40. And I wouldn't wait becasue rust never sleeps. There's a neat title for a song in the someplace ...

* Recent Photos

IMG_1069.JPG

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal