April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: EXPY Tires  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
EXPY Tires
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Guys

the EXPY needs tires....I am super poor right now so I need to go easy.

Anyone running these? Falken Ziex ST/Z-04   Price is right on them...

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=2&rcz=76248&ar=70&rf=true&rd=18&rc=TCNINT&cs=255&dVeh=dVeh&tc=FALRA1&yr=2008&pc=18262&cf=false&vid=012252&sw=false

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: EXPY Tires
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
There are a ton of reviews for that tire on that website.  Looks like most people liked them.  I was going through just looking at the negative reviews to see what the complaints were.  One guy said studded super swampers would be quieter.  Haha.  A bunch of complaints for road noise.  Some for mileage not being good to the poit of some being bald by 13k-20k.  Some say great in rain while others say they're terrible.  More good reviews than bad.  Seems like a crap shoot really. 

I would probably spend a little more if needed and get something a little more reassuring, especially seeing as it's the wife's vehicle.  That's a crappy selection in that size.  I wonder what the selection is if you go a section wider or even taller a hair.  At that size, maybe look at those Yokohamas.  They seem to have better reviews and most people that I've heard of that have gone to Yokohamas have loved them and recommend them.  I have no experience personally with them though.

Is there anywhere else you can go that might have a different selection? 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:50 AM »
I had dunlops on the '93 F150 and loved them.  Some of the best tires I've had .. but that was 15 years ago .. 

I have had Falkens before .. They are loud as crap, and not sticky enough for me .. they also seemed to flat spot a little more than most when the truck sat for a few days.  Worse than the Pirelli's do ..

================

Doug

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:42:19 AM »
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
Michelin makes great tires but not on a budget. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »
I love the tires on my truck right now.  I will look at them tonight when I am at the shop and let you know what they are ..

================

Doug

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 11:07:45 AM »
Michelin makes great tires but not on a budget. 

I agree, i am leaning to the generals bc I hate Continentals.  Had them on the F250 and they would get stuck in wet grass.

I be poor so i may have to go cheap...hello was even looking at Firestone and Pepboys, they have deals right now on buy 3 get one free.   The pepboys tires was the Hankook's.  

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
Firestone has had a bad wrap since their issues with some of their tires failing that came stock on some Fords years back.  In my opinion, they're not bad tires.  I picked up a set for my now ex-girlfriend a few years back.  She loved them.  A friend of mine swears by the Destination Mud Terrains (or whatever they're called).  Atleast living in Texas you don't have to worry much about snow so going with a cheaper tire isn't as big a deal.  Just make sure they're not known for catastrophic failure, they last decently long, and they ride alright. 

I was going to suggest Tire Rack but I figured you were looking for a place that had mounting and balancing included in the cost. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:01 PM »
I've heard good things from people over time about 3 of the tires on this page... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=255%2F&ratio=70&diameter=18&x=13&y=6

The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos
Firestone Destination
The Yokohama Geoloanders

I wouldn't hesitate to get any of those and in that order.  And for the record, I love the Cooper Zeon LTZs on my Expedition.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
yeah mike Discount tire said they get the Generals,(takes a few days)  he actually suggested that tire but said he has many people running the Falkens too.  

Said he would match tire racks price so that may be what I do next week when i get back from Hunting.  

with their certs, mount and balance that takes the tire to around 170.00 each out the door

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
I've heard good things from people over time about 3 of the tires on this page... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=255%2F&ratio=70&diameter=18&x=13&y=6

The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos
Firestone Destination
The Yokohama Geoloanders

I wouldn't hesitate to get any of those and in that order.  And for the record, I love the Cooper Zeon LTZs on my Expedition.

I would love to get the Revo 2's but firestone isn't offering that in an 18 for the buy 3 get one free.  I was going to have them price match tirerack then be done with it...but they don't have it in the 18's

Sucks for me

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
Have you tried looking at other sizes that might fit those wheels?  Obviously they need to remain 18s but there's no rule that says you have to put on what you're taking off.  Unless that's the size you want, but it may be something to look in to. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
Have you tried looking at other sizes that might fit those wheels?  There's no rule that says you have to put on what you're taking off.  Unless that's the size you want, but it may be something to look in to.

I don't know what I can put on there...I am tire stupid. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 02:50:01 PM »
Fair enough.  It really comes down to looks.  I don't know how much you know but assuming you know nothing...

255/70-18 ---- 255 is the width in mm, 70 is sidewall height and is actually 70% of the width (in this case, 70% of 255), and 18 is obviously the wheels size.

That being said, if you went to a 265 (just a bit wider) you could make the second number a 65 and the overall size of the tire would be 1/4" shorter.  http://www.tiresizecalculator.info/ for comparing sizes.

I assume your wheels are 7.5" wide.  That said, 275 is going to be as wide as you can safely go.  275/65 is almost identical in overall diameter as a 255/70, it's just wider.  Just something else to check out.  They may even be more expensive by a little bit but they may also offer different sizes or brands that weren't available in the other size.  You never know.

* Recent Photos

IMG_2675.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal