April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: What do you use to polish scratches on an exhuast tip?  (Read 10530 times)

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
What do you use to polish scratches on an exhuast tip?
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:45:10 PM »
I have a Maggie cat back and it has some light scratches on it. I've tried one metal polish with no luck???

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
Re: What do you use to polish scratches on an exhuast tip?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:59:22 AM »
I'm assuming it's a polished stainless tip... correct?

Is so, I've had great luck with Heavy Metal Polishes.

If you REALLY want to go crazy, you could try some English Custom Polish... particularly the Showman's blend... best metal polishes on the planet as far as I'm concerned.  ;D

Stainless is a very hard metal. If the scratches are significant, it may require a buffing wheel and the Heavy Metal Polish #2 or #3. Then hand polished with the Heavy Metal #1 or Showman's Blend.

Of course, you could just consider shinning them up with the Heavy Metal #1 or Showman's Blend.
Boss_429

Least aggressive product first = The MOST aggressive process (product/pad/machine speed) that will get the job done by removing the LEAST amount of paint, with the LEAST amount of work, in the LEAST amount of time.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:35:08 AM »
Boss,

Are these the ones?

http://www.brilexsolutions.com/metalandchromepolish.html

Not to thread jack, but my new chrome wheels have a spot or two where someone got to them with a 'rag' before me, has anyone had any luck polishing out fine hazing on their wheels? Maybe this stuff?

http://www.brilexsolutions.com/deepchrome8oz.html

LD

FYI: those links were just a quick google search for 'heavy metal polish'.....
LD

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 08:54:05 AM »
Boss,

Are these the ones?

http://www.brilexsolutions.com/metalandchromepolish.html

Not to thread jack, but my new chrome wheels have a spot or two where someone got to them with a 'rag' before me, has anyone had any luck polishing out fine hazing on their wheels? Maybe this stuff?

http://www.brilexsolutions.com/deepchrome8oz.html

LD

FYI: those links were just a quick google search for 'heavy metal polish'.....

That's the Heavy Metal stuff. It also works great on chrome. 

I haven't tried the Deep Chrome product, so I can't comment.
Boss_429

Least aggressive product first = The MOST aggressive process (product/pad/machine speed) that will get the job done by removing the LEAST amount of paint, with the LEAST amount of work, in the LEAST amount of time.

Offline Rockpick

• Administrator
  • The Final Detail - Henderson, KY
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
Boss turned me on to the HMP many moons ago and I've not really gone to anything else... it's FANTASTIC stuff.

NXT Metal Polysh, believe it or not, really is pretty good stuff too... it falls short of HMP but, if you're looking for a quick and easily accessible product, NXT may be a decent answer.

Now With Scrubbing Bubbles...

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:07:00 PM »
Yep, I have a jar of the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze All Metal Polish. I believe it is nothing more than the NXT All Metal Polish, and it is very good stuff. As RR said, it's not quite on par with the HMP, but certainly a good all purpose metal polish. However, it does not have the ability to clean up scratches on Stainless. Nor does the HMP without the help of some buffing cloths, wheels, and the machine to correct the scratches.

Like paint, in order to remove the scratches in Stainless, you have to level the material to the depth of the scratches, and that's not easy with some Stainless.
Boss_429

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 12:45:28 PM »
Just saw that Glimmer Glass detailing carries English Custom Polishes....

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/encupo.html

Boss: ever use their Chrome polish?
LD

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 06:29:47 PM »
Boss, in your opinion English Custom Polishes has the edge over Heavy Metal Polishes?  I'm need to pick up some metal polish, particularly for aluminum but also stainless.  I've used Heavy Metal Polishes before but it's abeen a while.  I was going to pick some more up but have no problem spending a bit more if ECP is better.  Also, if I understand correctly the ECP Showmans blend  is more of a maintenance polish to keep things looking good, the restorer is if things have gotten out of hand, and the Custom Blend is used to follow up the Showmans blend for that extra touch.  If I'm correct there, is the Custom Blend worth it?  Does it actually make a difference?

Oddly enough, the last time I read this thread, I didn't take notice to the links really.  Just today I was looking for local vendors that might carry some stuff that I use to avoid some shipping costs and came across Brilex Solutions (one of the above links.)  Apparently it's only like 6 miles from my house. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline roushstage2

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »
Yep, I have a jar of the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze All Metal Polish. I believe it is nothing more than the NXT All Metal Polish, and it is very good stuff. As RR said, it's not quite on par with the HMP, but certainly a good all purpose metal polish. However, it does not have the ability to clean up scratches on Stainless. Nor does the HMP without the help of some buffing cloths, wheels, and the machine to correct the scratches.

Like paint, in order to remove the scratches in Stainless, you have to level the material to the depth of the scratches, and that's not easy with some Stainless.
The MG Polish, I believe, is actually less aggressive than NXT!  HMP is great stuff.  I have had some for years now (about 4-5) and it works great on everything!

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 03:48:26 AM »
Boss, in your opinion English Custom Polishes has the edge over Heavy Metal Polishes?  I'm need to pick up some metal polish, particularly for aluminum but also stainless.  I've used Heavy Metal Polishes before but it's abeen a while.  I was going to pick some more up but have no problem spending a bit more if ECP is better.  Also, if I understand correctly the ECP Showmans blend  is more of a maintenance polish to keep things looking good, the restorer is if things have gotten out of hand, and the Custom Blend is used to follow up the Showmans blend for that extra touch.  If I'm correct there, is the Custom Blend worth it?  Does it actually make a difference?

Oddly enough, the last time I read this thread, I didn't take notice to the links really.  Just today I was looking for local vendors that might carry some stuff that I use to avoid some shipping costs and came across Brilex Solutions (one of the above links.)  Apparently it's only like 6 miles from my house. 

ESP,

I like the "Heavy" (when needed), and "Medium" (mostly this one) HMP for getting the metal in "excellent" condition. Then, I use the Showman's Blend to finish it off to a mirror-like shine. I have not tried the Custom Blend, so I can't speak to it's value.
Boss_429

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 09:21:53 AM »
Fair enough.  I think I'll go to Brilex and pick up some HMP and I'll order some ECP from somewhere online since I have no idea where to get it.  Providing you order yours online, where do you order from?  I don't like to order from just anywhere online, ya know?
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
ESF,

I ordered mine from Top of the Line detailing supplies. They have a lot of good stuff.

Here's the link to the polish.

http://www.topoftheline.com/aluminum-chrome-metal-polish.html

Boss_429

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
Sorry for the bump

Ok, I have 20" Roush wheels.  They are chrome and I cleaned them up pretty good using Mother's Chrome Polish and the Mother's cone, but what do you guys recommend to get them flaw less with no scratches?  I also find Borla SS polish works wonders on tips.  I also want to get the fine scratches out on the tips too.
John

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 05:48:37 AM »
Sorry for the bump

Ok, I have 20" Roush wheels.  They are chrome and I cleaned them up pretty good using Mother's Chrome Polish and the Mother's cone, but what do you guys recommend to get them flaw less with no scratches?  I also find Borla SS polish works wonders on tips.  I also want to get the fine scratches out on the tips too.

What'sa going on there TruckGuy?  Haven't talked to you since back in the day over at F150ol....hope all is well.

I personally "currently" use Optimum Metal Polish on my wheels and tips; however, it hasn't seemed to really rid of scratches.  I usually polish very lightly though so I'm not overdoing it, and any scratches I have are very minor and can't be seen unless you're right on top of them.

If you find something that works for you, let us know so we can try it out.  :cheers:
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Truckguy24

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 10:30:10 PM »
Hey bud :wave:  I was wondering where you were recently, actually haha.  I'm doing pretty well, hope you are as well!

I've heard of that myself... I was reading Heavy Metal Polish removes the scratches... I'll be ordering that soon and let you know how I make out
John

* Recent Photos

IMG_3191.JPG

Views: 1
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal