April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: PC 7424 vs. Flex XC 3401 - Video  (Read 16373 times)

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
PC 7424 vs. Flex XC 3401 - Video
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:44:43 PM »
Not sure if you guys have all seen this already or not, but it's a pretty good demo video I think:

I've been working with my PC quite a bit here lately and the Flex has my attention once again.... If I decide to get one I may do this same experiment with the two machines and post up the results here....

For you guys that have a Flex, does this video hit the nail on the head??

LD
LD

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: PC 7424 vs. Flex XC 3401 - Video
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »
Those are great.....

Good find.

Maybe that is what you need to take you over the edge...pardon the pun

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline cufootn

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
I haven't done anything like that but I do find the flex is faster and does a better job.

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »
I would say that's a fair representation of the difference between the time and correction ability of the two machines.

Now, a rotary would cut the time of the Flex in half (at least).
Boss_429

Least aggressive product first = The MOST aggressive process (product/pad/machine speed) that will get the job done by removing the LEAST amount of paint, with the LEAST amount of work, in the LEAST amount of time.

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:11:49 PM »
Interesting side by side.

the funny thing it made me realize is that I use my PC different than I use my Flex and my DeWalt.  I hold the trigger with my right hand, and guide with my left on both the Flex and the DeWalt, and I do the opposite with my PC.  I didn't realize I did that until I saw that video,a nd the guy running both machiens the same way.

how bizarre that I noticed that..  lol
================

Doug

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »
From what I'm hearing a Flex will be faster and possibly yield somewhat better results. Which is good, since that's what I was trying to figure out.

My problem now is deciding between it and a rotary. Looks like the Flex is pretty much $280 on all the sites, and the DeWalt is $190-200 most places...

Boss, your comment about half the time of the Flex really has my attention. I have a few questions though:

-I haven't seen any threads about do's and don'ts when it comes to a rotary... Anyone seen something like this? Or would someone be willing to start a thread on here giving some tips and advice for starting with a rotary?
-I have a whole car that I can practice on ('91 Maxima, daily driver), but its an off-white color, would this be a bad color to try to learn on?
-Are using foam pads on a rotary for light polishing relatively safe compared to wool and compounding? Scale of 1:10 on how easy it would be to screw something up with both situations?
-I've heard a few times that foam pads won't stand up to heat as well as wool either, therefore making it harded to 'burn' clear with one, thoughts?

You guys with a rotary chime in and let us PC users know what we're missing out on, and how you got started....

Cheers!  :beer:

LD
LD

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »
I think its a great idea for a thread...

I'll get the TO Popcorn ready. !!

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:37:00 PM »
makita over dewalt....D handle i like a bit better, and the variable speed i think is nicer than the dewalt....had a dewalt for years....didnt know what i was missing until the dewalt was stolen from garage and got a makita

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
makita over dewalt....D handle i like a bit better, and the variable speed i think is nicer than the dewalt....had a dewalt for years....didnt know what i was missing until the dewalt was stolen from garage and got a makita

Would that be the 9227?

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 06:24:13 PM »
mmmmmm, why yes it is...

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:59 PM »
tdr: thoughts on my other questions?

I do like the idea of the D handle compared to the normal side mount ones....
LD

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »
dewalt has the screw in stick...it is longer and has great leverage to keep it steady, but you have to unscrew and screw back in to go from left to right....not easy to switch hands while working and the stick handle sticks out further than the makita...i just like the more options with the makita....the very first buffer i had was air powered...used the psi to regulate speed, but it would tend to bog at a lower pressure, then came an electric....pull the trigger and it was full out or off...you would just bump the trigger off and on to finesse it, but it was pretty much work it at a full out speed and keep it moving, then came the varible speed dewalt, i dont think the makita was avalible then....after the the dewalt walked off, i got the makita and it feels the best in the hands, and the control of the speed the best.....i guess the time is cut down #1 becuase of the power vs a da or flex, but also using larger pads i think also help...larger pad not only covers more area, but holds more product once its loaded up and can be used to work a larger area before stopping and having to add more product....i dont know i can only guess this adds to the speed of a job

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 06:00:31 AM »
From what I'm hearing a Flex will be faster and possibly yield somewhat better results. Which is good, since that's what I was trying to figure out.

I would say that is true, depending on the person behind the machine.

My problem now is deciding between it and a rotary. Looks like the Flex is pretty much $280 on all the sites, and the DeWalt is $190-200 most places...

I would also go with the Makita over the DeWalt. It's lighter and easier to handle. Although, my heavier Milwaukee has advantages at times.

Boss, your comment about half the time of the Flex really has my attention. I have a few questions though:

-I haven't seen any threads about do's and don'ts when it comes to a rotary... Anyone seen something like this? Or would someone be willing to start a thread on here giving some tips and advice for starting with a rotary?
-I have a whole car that I can practice on ('91 Maxima, daily driver), but its an off-white color, would this be a bad color to try to learn on?
-Are using foam pads on a rotary for light polishing relatively safe compared to wool and compounding? Scale of 1:10 on how easy it would be to screw something up with both situations?
-I've heard a few times that foam pads won't stand up to heat as well as wool either, therefore making it harded to 'burn' clear with one, thoughts?

You guys with a rotary chime in and let us PC users know what we're missing out on, and how you got started....

I start by answering some of your questions, and come back with some tips later. (When I'm not at work ;D )

First, off-white is not the best color to start off on, but it's better than nothing.

You can certainly use foam pads with a rotary for nearly all stages of paint correction. However, they are not necessarily safer than a wool pad at any stage in the process. (talk about this later)

You can screw up easily with either, but the foam pad is probably slightly safer, simply because of the amount of cut most wool pads have.

I would suspect that a foam pad can't hold up to heat as well as a wool pad, but I've never had an issue. Besides, a foam pad can burn paint quite easily if used improperly. If you use a foam pad at an angle to the paint at high speeds, it can burn paint almost instantly. (one of my tips... keep foam pad FLAT on the paint surface, unless you are working at extremely slow speeds... even then I would keep the pad as flat as possible)
Boss_429

Least aggressive product first = The MOST aggressive process (product/pad/machine speed) that will get the job done by removing the LEAST amount of paint, with the LEAST amount of work, in the LEAST amount of time.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 07:14:11 AM »
Makita over DeWalt, no problem there. I never have been a huge fan of Dewalt anyways....

Boss: looking forward to what else you have to say.
LD

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 12:35:58 AM »
Just my .02, i'm going to be watching this thread carefully, cause I too have debated between the next step being Flex or Rotary.  Any input is great guys!

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal