* Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: A New Low?  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
A New Low?
« on: September 09, 2010, 04:52:10 PM »
We all rib each other about how OCD we are and get a good laugh out of it. There?s the aligning of screw heads on outlet plates, the Hyperdressing on extension cords, buffing out of work trailers and so on. I?ve always prided myself on being pretty bad on our OCD scale, but today I think I slipped another rung.

As many of you know, my son just started college in a 2 year Automotive Technology (Toyota T-Ten) program. One of the requirements of that program is to have a fairly extensive collection of tools. We had almost everything required many years ago, but were missing a few pneumatic tools. So I?d been scouring Craig?s List and scored everything he needed in a package deal - plus a few bonus tools and a Blue Point compressor - a few weeks ago. No, the stuff wasn?t new, but it was all Mac, Ingersol-Rand and Craftsman, in decent shape and had been well cared for. Good starter stuff in other words.

So today I?m staring at the I-R model 231 ?? drive impact gun that we got and it?s looking a bit shabby. (Know where this one?s going?) Maybe I can polish her up a bit. So I start with some of Justin?s Obsessive Detail Metal Rx polish on an old microfiber. Hmmm, not bad, but not good enough. So I pull out the PC and an orange LC pad and try hitting it harder. Hmmm, not bad, but still not good enough. Then I pull out the DeWalt rotary and a Meguiar?s burgundy cutting pad. (I?ve never been able to use one of those on a car anyway.) Perfect!

At this point I should mention that the impact wrench probably weighs 4 pounds and the DeWalt probably weighs somewhat north of that. I?m trying to hold the gun while manipulating the buffer. Do you have any idea how hard that is when you?re in your mid 50?s? At least my toes did an adequate job of holding it some of the time. I?d post pics but I have no before shots. I?m so ashamed ? not!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: A New Low?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 05:04:07 PM »
I agree, I think you are at a new low of a high of OCD'ness.

Funny picturing you working the rotary on a gun.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:37:57 PM »
You should have zip ties the trigger, vice clamped the rotary and used it as a buffing wheel.  That said, yep.  New level of OCD.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
You should have zip ties the trigger, vice clamped the rotary and used it as a buffing wheel.  That said, yep.  New level of OCD.

Hmmm, sounds like you may have some experience here Mike. Gotta go find some zip ties ...

* Recent Photos

t

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal