April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Stereo/alarm decision  (Read 7725 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Stereo/alarm decision
« on: July 26, 2008, 09:48:12 PM »
Well I have decided.

Going to go with the Alpine iDA-X100 and the Clifford Matrix 50.5X system.

The truck should be out of the body shop on Tuesday, in the Audio shop on Wed AM

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
Re: Stereo/alarm decision
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 11:35:55 PM »
Decide against the W505?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:58:08 PM »
Decide against the W505?

I did, and the only benefit of the 505 over the 205 is ipod video...for me right now, it doesn't make sense.  Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the 505 over the 205.   

My daughter cannot see the screen now that she sits on the far side like a big girl....and my newborn won't care for at least 2 years and chances are I will trade by then. 

I do hope that Alpine comes out with something to proceed the 505 b/c its not much of an improvment over a 205.   The menus and screen are kind of clunky. 

The MAJOR thing that got me besides the above was that the X100 has a true ipod "back" button that if you hit it, it takes you inside the playlist or section you were in....rather than going starting over each time you want to skip to a song or artist.  That may or make not make sense.

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
It does.  I'm still rely way to much on CDs to even consider one of the new digital source only head units.  I've been debating on going from my W-200 up to the W-205 so I can have that blackbird for NAV, although there are a bunch of things I want to buy before that.  Just got word my ARC amp is still under warranty so hooray!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »
It does.  I'm still rely way to much on CDs to even consider one of the new digital source only head units.  I've been debating on going from my W-200 up to the W-205 so I can have that blackbird for NAV, although there are a bunch of things I want to buy before that.  Just got word my ARC amp is still under warranty so hooray!

If you don't mind reseting your B200 about once to 3 times per week, its a great solution.  The battery life on the B200 is around 2.5 hours, very weak if you ask me...that is if you wanted to use it as a hand held for geocaching etc.

It does work well and the 3D nav is pretty slick.  It is sometimes hard to find addresses especially if they are on a highway with many names.  For example.   35W and 35E are both called Stimmons Parkway and I35 W....In DFW the Tollway is also called N. Texas Parkway and you cannot find it that way so it takes some learning to figure out how to input your destination.

I would still get a 205 over a 505 with the B200 Nav unit. 

Having had the 205, I would take a hard look at Kenwood and Pioneer as well as Clarion. 

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 12:40:19 AM »
The guy who installed my security system was trying to get me to look at Kenwood's new unit (i forget the model number) with NAV and everything built in.  The only problem I have, is I am such an Alpine whore.  I have been impressed with their products for years now and just cannot seem to get away. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »
The guy who installed my security system was trying to get me to look at Kenwood's new unit (i forget the model number) with NAV and everything built in.  The only problem I have, is I am such an Alpine whore.  I have been impressed with their products for years now and just cannot seem to get away. 

I am a Alpine guy myself but knowing what pricing I get on Pioneer makes me take a second look.  I am staying with Alpine.  If you are going to a double din unit and want nav, I would go with the B200 and the 205. 

well I say that but if you are a true audiofile...and want to use Apline Imprint, you cannot use that with the 205.  You'll have to get the 505. 

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Right now I'm running the W-200 with the PXA-H701 processor.   I've had it in the truck for a year and a half now.  Me and a friend have so much time invested in installation, I would hate to have to redo any of it.  I really with there was a way to run the stock f150 NAV unit (the one that sits on top of the dash, i think by Magellan or whatever) into the W-200.  I don't think there is. I've considered buying one and just using it without sound.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:19:35 PM »
I decided that adding overhead video is a must after talking with the wife....adding only a fold down 7" screen.   This one is parchment in color so it will match the interior and not stick too much out like a sore thumb.

I will get lots of photos on Thursday when it's finished. 

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Good choice....

Was the overhead rail/console system an option in the 250's?

I have them in my truck, and have always wanted to go video up there....

LD
LD

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 09:48:48 AM »
Good choice....

Was the overhead rail/console system an option in the 250's?

I have them in my truck, and have always wanted to go video up there....

LD

No rails in the F250....interestingly though, in talking with my installer...Ford kind of fell on their face a bit with the rail system.  They said it would be after market friendly system and Ford had plans to place power to the rail for aftermarket stuff like over head video, extra lighting etc.  Vendors like Alpine, Pioneer etc started working on rail systems to fit Ford but then Ford squashed the idea.  Ford now only offers about 4 different configs...its a shame b/c I loved my over head rails in my F150. 

There are a few and I mean a few vendors that offer a dvd system for the rails but still the issue is, power, ground and I/O connections still have to be run. 

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 09:59:20 AM »
That's dissapointing..... would have been great if Pioneer or some of the other bigger guys would have came out with plug and play systems for up there. I've only seen one or two that are made to go on the rails, and they weren't nothing special.... not to mention rather expensive. Would have been nice if the trucks came pre-installed with an auxillary power up there though, and maybe a set of patch cords to tie into the HU!!

We'll be awaiting pics of the new set-up  :thumbsiup:
LD

Offline guitarman502

• Café Member
  • Brand Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 02:16:53 PM »
I considered going with the monitors in the headrest, but the $1600 price tag kinda deterred me.  What kind of overhead did you go with RR?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 07:30:52 PM »
The body shop wasn't finished with the truck today...the lock assembly is on national backorder...hmm Ford do you have a problem with the locks?  Can open the truck with a toothpick. 

Anyway, the truck is now at the stereo installer....so it will be a few days before I see her again. 

Then I still have to go back to the body shop when the lock assembly comes in.

Have more to tell you guys....I may have scored a few goodies....

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 09:49:55 AM »
Those of you waiting on the edge of your seats for an update...here's one.

The truck isn't ready...should be later today....

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal