1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Rotary Polisher Extension?  (Read 11089 times)

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Rotary Polisher Extension?
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
Anyone know where on earth you can get one of these without having one made for you?  I've seen others use them but can never find any.  I'd like it for touching up my wheels with a 4" pad while they're still on the vehicle.  It seems like it would make it much easier.  Even if it doesn't, I have to find out for myself or I will never be satisfied.  Haha.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
Re: Rotary Polisher Extension?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:11:04 PM »
On a similar subject and to bump you topic of adapters, has anyone seen any adapters for the Flex.  I wish I could use a smaller backing plate for a 4" pad
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
how long do you want...??? you could go to hardware store and get a 3 or 4 inch bolt same size as shaft output on the buffer (i think is like 5/8's or something dont know the thread though), cut the head off and get a oversized nut to lock/attach it to the shaft...

but now that i thing about it it could be reversed theaded and be a bit harder to find...idk???

they do make shorter ones but i think they are only like 1 1/2 or 2 inches, might be able to get 2 or 3 of them, but the last time i remember seeing them they were something like $12-20 each

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »
Honestly I haven't really thought about how long I want it.  Actually, your idea has me thinking now.  I might want to try and come up with something like that on my own just for the satisfaction of knowing I made it and it works.  Haha.  Maybe I'll try to find some shrink tubing to conceal the threads and protect it from accidentally hitting it on things it may damage.  I might go take a stroll through Lowes.

Thanks for the help and idea.  I appreciate it.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:29:27 AM »
Took a stroll through Lowes.  Found everything I need.  Picked up a 5/8 bolt coupler (basically a 3" long nut), a 5/8 threaded rod (basically a bolt with the head cut off already - just has to be cut down because I could only get it in a 12" length or more) and a Steel spacer (just a small steel tube that fits over the threads so I can't accidentally bump the threads against anything).  Should work fairly well.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »
tube that fits over the threads so I can't accidentally bump the threads against anything).  Should work fairly well.
Have you checked the rotation to make sure it will not loosen with pad pressure?
You might consider some plastic tubing or heat shrink over those threads for added protection.  Maybe I can eventually figure out something similar for the Flex.
Long ago I didnt hesitate to be creative and jury rig stuff since there were no known options in my mind.  I think the internet has so much good info but it also made me lazy and think I can find and order anything.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
Everything tightens down the same way the backing plate does.  I'll probably throw some loctite on where I see fit just for good measure.  I looked for plastic tubing but couldn't find the right size so I went with the metal spacer which is the same thing as the plastic tubing except it's metal.  I'll have to get a picture up.  The only thing I'm not happy with is the coupler.  It's completely hex.  I'd rather it be round so if it does come in contact with anything the corners don't do any damage.  I might try shrink tubing over that piece just because I can.  We'll see how it all works out as is.  I really don't foresee the extension coming in contact with anything but I like to be on the safe side.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
So I cut the threaded rod down to size.  Put everything together.  It'll work.  It seems like the extension isn't perfectly straight though.  You can visually see some wobble in it.  Not enough to concern me though.  Esepcially since it's purpose is wheels only it won't really get used that much.  If I really like it and I find that the wobble bothers me, I may just find a shop and have one properly made.  I'll see if I can get pictures up. 

EDIT - Pictures - The pad and the threaded rod seem to be permanently attached to each other now.  I didn't feel like getting tool to unthread it.  The first pic shows the pieces.  The second pic shows how it goes together.  The third pic shows it all together and tightened down. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:15:47 PM by ESF »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 03:31:48 PM »
Looks good Mike, I have one for my Makita, but I stole it from Nick Chapman...I will give it back to him next time I see him but I think he was getting them at ADS

JP

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
Rick has them for $4.50 a piece.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/1400.html

nice job of engineering yourself one, Mike ..   any issues with it trying to unscrew during use?

================

Doug

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
I never got a chance to use it because my truck has been at the shop.  But i can barely get it unscrewed to take it apart.

* Recent Photos

Polishing 01

Views: 1
By: Kitzy

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal