April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Brake dust on Mazda 6 rim that I can't get off  (Read 13002 times)

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Brake dust on Mazda 6 rim that I can't get off
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 11:53:01 AM »
The only time I've safely used Oven Cleaner on a vehicle was on a boat. (And remember, most boats have an outer layer of gelcoat.) The boat had a name painted on the transom by a professional sign painter - back when that was the way to do it. Well, I bought the boat and didn't want the name. How do you take sign paint off of gelcoat? I checked with a sign painter and he said Oven Cleaner. Worked like a charm.

Would I use that kind of product on a car? I highly doubt it. Then again, have you ever seen the "Paint Decontamination Kits" one needs to remove imbedded iron particles from a car? Acid and neutralizer. Use of serious personal protective equipment required. Hell, I still get scared by my rotary once in a while. I'm not going near that stuff!

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:20 PM »
I called and he does have the Spray and Rinse and is open on Saturday! He seems like a very nice guy and is going to try and put a couple of samples together for me if the S&R doesn't cut it. :cheers:

As suggested, the oven cleaner is not going to be used.
2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Poorboy

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Poorboy's World Detailing Products
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »
I called and he does have the Spray and Rinse and is open on Saturday! He seems like a very nice guy and is going to try and put a couple of samples together for me if the S&R doesn't cut it. :cheers:

As suggested, the oven cleaner is not going to be used.

Yes, ken was a Professional Detailer before he started selling products and should be very helpful
life is short ..do it while you can
www.poorboysworld.com
www.ultrafinish.com/store  (**new microfiber only site)

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 11:53:36 PM »
I guess the WD40 or a mild cleaner wax or polish didnt work?
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:35:57 AM »
I guess the WD40 or a mild cleaner wax or polish didnt work?

yeah a lubricant would be a better choice to use to clean rims or even oven cleaner other than a line of professional wheel cleaner...

sorry but  :dunno:  it was there and open

this being a help with auto detailing site i thought it would be approprate to respond with what i know works and is safe....but this thread is looking like a "hints from heloise"

ps...Simple Green is not an acid, its a base...its ph is over 7...

http://toolmonger.com/2007/10/05/simple-green-simply-clean/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:47:59 AM by tdr6874 »

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:32 AM »

yeah a lubricant would be a better choice to use to clean rims or even oven cleaner other than a line of professional wheel cleaner...

sorry but  :dunno:  it was there and open

this being a help with auto detailing site i thought it would be approprate to respond with what i know works and is safe....but this thread is looking like a "hints from heloise"

ps...Simple Green is not an acid, its a base...its ph is over 7...
Actually WD40 is a lite lubricant and a mild solvent.  I was suggesting it for it's mild solvent properties.
My example of simple green is the fact that it is the opposite of an acid, (base) and it will still strip and damage coatings.
Acid and base cleaners are both caustic in different ways. 

We all have our own personal experiences with what has, may and will work on a given problem.  There are many ways to attack a given problem which hopefully all reach the same destination (solving the problem).  Some ways may be more aggressive than others.  Some methods in the long run may be worse than others but work faster in the short run.
I have learned over time that the least aggressive method first.  Long term use of caustic cleaners on paint or clearcoat, acid or base will strip coatings.  This is what they are designed to do.  If you have to use them they would eventually be the last best method IMHO but would not be my first and frequent choice over mild polishes and mild solvents.
We all give our suggestions in an attempt to help.  OP will then take the info and make his own decision or mistake.
I will concede my experience is limited in detailing but is vast in chemicals, paints coatings, metals and how they work together short term and long term. 

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
My apologies, I forgot to post. I did try M205 and M105 last night, just to see. No real improvement, It did take some of it off, but it was a considerable amount of effort and only took off stuff where it was barely there to begin with. haven't tried the WD-40 though.

I understand that there are products developed for this like Poorboys Spray and Rinse, Wheel acid, etc. but I haven't had luck with the wheel acid on painted surfaces previous and would like to just use it on raw aluminum where I have had great results with it. I will be going on Saturday to the supplier to pick up some professional products, but I figured in the mean-time why not try some other products/ideas. If someone comes across this same situation and doesn't have easy access to professional products, why not see if there are any alternates. I know some of them are like "home remedies" but maybe this thread can be informative to others on what to use and not to use.  :cheers:

Times in the past I have come across solutions for problems that are out-of-the norm and have worked very, very well.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 04:08:28 PM »
The acid cleaners made for aluminum usually say do not use on painted/coated wheels.  And vice-versa, the ones designed for painted/coated wheels usually say do not use on uncoated (raw aluminum) wheels.  For instance, Wheel Brightener and Spray and Rinse are NOT meant for uncoated aluminum.  I have stuff at work that I can't remember what it's called but it's specific to aluminum but shouldn't be used on anything else. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 01:00:08 PM »
I picked up some Spray and Rinse, and it removed some of the stuff on the one rim and pretty much cleaned up all the others much better that I was able to get them to before, especially the back of the wheel. He clarified that spray and rinse was a mild acid base cleaner, but it is on the safe side.

I only had a chance to do one application without any agitation so I wasn't expecting miracles. But I think another app with a little light rubbing of a soft cloth and I'll have it beat.

I don't know if anyone else is around the Vancouver area, but I went to Autowerx in Pitt Meadows thanks to Poorboy. Ken was a very nice, helpful guy. He even let me know that if I didn't get the results I was looking for, that I could bring the car to him next saturday and we would work on it together to get it clean. Can't ask for anymore than that!

I'll post some pics after I give it another shot later on today.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 01:57:33 AM »
Good to hear it's working out. :cheers:
IMO, it's better for the wheels to work up to acid when you need to than to go for it every time and diminish the finish unnecessarily.

Besides the wheel, anyone detailing should know what you're exposing yourself to when you use acid (esp. Hydrofluoric acid (HF) cleaners.

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
I picked up some Spray and Rinse, and it removed some of the stuff on the one rim and pretty much cleaned up all the others much better that I was able to get them to before, especially the back of the wheel. He clarified that spray and rinse was a mild acid base cleaner, but it is on the safe side.

I only had a chance to do one application without any agitation so I wasn't expecting miracles. But I think another app with a little light rubbing of a soft cloth and I'll have it beat.

I don't know if anyone else is around the Vancouver area, but I went to Autowerx in Pitt Meadows thanks to Poorboy. Ken was a very nice, helpful guy. He even let me know that if I didn't get the results I was looking for, that I could bring the car to him next saturday and we would work on it together to get it clean. Can't ask for anymore than that!

I'll post some pics after I give it another shot later on today.

Good to hear ...  you should not need to use Spray & Rinse on a regular basis,  ...get them cleaned and polished, put some Wheel Sealant on them and then just use soap and water.

Good to hear it's working out. :cheers:
IMO, it's better for the wheels to work up to acid when you need to than to go for it every time and diminish the finish unnecessarily.

Besides the wheel, anyone detailing should know what you're exposing yourself to when you use acid (esp. Hydrofluoric acid (HF) cleaners.

just a note .. Spray & Rinse is not HF but is a Professional product and should not be needed on a regular basis for cleaning   :cheers:
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
I totally agree that it is a product to be used to get the wheel to a state that can be just maintained, I will be shelving it now that I have polished and sealed all the wheels except for that one. even after using the Spray and rinse and giving it a little rub, still lot's of crap left on the rim. Maybe it's tar or rubber or something the acid won't break up :dunno: I'm going to give Isopropyl a shot and see if it will take anything more off. If it wasn't raining out, I would get you a pic to see what it looks like now.

I'm not ready to give up yet!

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 12:29:44 PM »
a last resort that you might try .. after soaking with the Spray & Rinse , use a plastic putty knife and be gentle
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
Quick update. I was unpacking some of my chemicals and products as we recently moved. I came across some stuff that I thought might work if some of the crap on my rim was tar instead of break dust. I found some of my reducer, DuPont wax & grease remover and final wipe solvent. None of the above worked really at all. I am going to give Ken a call @ Autowerx and see if I can drop by this Saturday and let him go at it with some more professional products. I think I have a line on another rim, so no biggie if something goes wrong.

* Recent Photos

Views: 4
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal