* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Brake dust on Mazda 6 rim that I can't get off  (Read 12668 times)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
  • Don't ask me if I read the instructions
Brake dust on Mazda 6 rim that I can't get off
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
I'm hoping someone will have some ideas. I recently bought a 2004 Mazda6 that is overall pretty clean, it has been obviously detailed but only where most look (I have to pull the seats this weekend). I'm taking it on one stage at a time and spent time over the weekend on the wheels. I was able to get all wheel but one to a pretty nice state. Here is the one I just can't get clean. I think they are powder coated, but don't really know. I have tried Meg's and Simonize wheel cleaner, 2:1 Superclean and scrubbed pretty good with a nylon brush while letting the products sit. I can't go stronger on the sSuperclean since I tried it straight on a very small part and it etched the paint.

Here are a couple of pics for the pros to ponder.

Thanks!

2014 F-150 FX4 Blue Flame
2021 Explorer ST Atlas Blue

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Re: Brake dust on Mazda 6 rim that I can't get off
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:11:01 PM »
hmm...i would have thought megs wheel brightner or something like poorboys spray and wash. 

I am NOT the expert on wheels.  So I will be watching.

:lurk"
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
Dont know how hard the powder coating is but I would try scrubbing it off first over brushing it off.
Working on just the problem spots...
First I would try Optimum Power Clean undiluted with a cotton rag.
For cheap and easy, I would try lightly scrubbing it off with WD40 on a cotton rag.
If it's really baked on hard...
Maybe some mildly abrasive paint polish (no compounds) on a cotton rag.
Last resort M205 on a cotton rag light pressure.

Work slowly and keep checking progress in good light.
Good luck

You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:11:41 AM »
hmm...i would have thought megs wheel brightner or something like poorboys spray and wash. 

I am NOT the expert on wheels.  So I will be watching.

:lurk"

This is what I was thinking.  However, I've been gettign good results with Sonax lately.  You can let it dwell for a while before you remove it.  You could always try claying it as well.  Just throw the clay out when you're done or keep it for future use on wheels only.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »
this is just the case for a professional acid wheel wash...nothing you can get over the counter or shipped online without being shipped hazmat....find a detail supplier in your city and they should sell it...dont know where you are at....but in houston you can get it at texbrite....

http://texbrite.com

(site is down now)

they dont sell online and have been opened in 1959...there should be something like it near you if you are in a major city...its usually called spoke and wheel or something along those lines

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:53:11 AM by tdr6874 »

Offline Poorboy

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Poorboy's World Detailing Products
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »
Spray & Rinse will make quick work of that ..  :cheers:

afterwards i would do a light Polish with Professional Polish and seal them with Wheel Sealant to prevent this from happening again and the need for any harsh chemicals in the future  :cheers:
life is short ..do it while you can
www.poorboysworld.com
www.ultrafinish.com/store  (**new microfiber only site)

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »
Thanks very much for the reply's, I do have some Clay that I can try out as I just used it on the truck on Sunday. I do have wheel acid, but I'm not touching powder coated rims with it, made that mistake before... :dope: I'll give the 205  and WD-40 a shot with a rag while I'm waiting on Poorboy's stuff.

I'm located in Vancouver, BC Canada. Although I do spend a lot of time in Houston, I won't be down there for at least a month.

If anyone knows someone who sells Poorboy's local or who will ship across the border, I would like to pick up a couple of items from them. I've only dealt with eshine.ca and autogeek and I don't think either of them carry their products.

Is it caustic stuff that usually breaks up brake dust or just good 'ole elow grease.

I have a good wheel sealant and will probably just hit them with 205 once I get rid of the grime.

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
e-shine carries our complete line  and there is also

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/   they are in BC  :cheers:
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline tdr6874

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
on that rim with the other methods used first as you described, imho, clay would be a waste

if you apply acid cleaner to a cool wet rim and do not allow it to dry you will not harm the wheel....most people that have bad experiences with acid pull a car up that has just been driven and the wheel is still warm...it dries and will stain the rim....the rim must be cool and not allowed to dry during usage....

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 01:26:36 PM »
on that rim with the other methods used first as you described, imho, clay would be a waste

if you apply acid cleaner to a cool wet rim and do not allow it to dry you will not harm the wheel....most people that have bad experiences with acid pull a car up that has just been driven and the wheel is still warm...it dries and will stain the rim....the rim must be cool and not allowed to dry during usage....

how true  :nw:
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the link for the Poorboy's products! I will head over to Maple Ridge on the weekend after I give them a call to see what they have.

I could give the wheel acid a shot, I'm just not very comfortable with it on painted surfaces. I have used it a lot in prepping snowmobile chassis' for polishing, but I've only tried it once on a painted wheel. It was my dad's magnum, and we thought it would be great to use for the exact same purpose I have with the Mazda. We diluted it approx 5:1 if I remember right. The wheel was cool (had it off and in the shop), didn't let it dry or sit very long, but it stained/etched the wheel pretty bad. The wheel was dry though and maybe I didn't dilute it enough :dunno:

I appreciate the experience and help guys, I will post results as soon as I get back at it. Thanks again!

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 01:48:08 PM »
Ken is a great guy and is also a great detailer .. you can ask his opinion ...

Spray & Rinse is not a harsh acid with a ph of 4  ... it works well on all wheels except uncoated ...
www.poorboysworld.com

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
I could give the wheel acid a shot, I'm just not very comfortable with it on painted surfaces. I have used it a lot in prepping snowmobile chassis' for polishing, but I've only tried it once on a painted wheel. It was my dad's magnum, and we thought it would be great to use for the exact same purpose I have with the Mazda. We diluted it approx 5:1 if I remember right. The wheel was cool (had it off and in the shop), didn't let it dry or sit very long, but it stained/etched the wheel pretty bad. The wheel was dry though and maybe I didn't dilute it enough :dunno:
I learned the hard way to respect and treat painted and coated rims like they are...painted. 
Most caustic cleaners drastically cut the work but they all have a price.

Signed,
"I used to think Simple Green was a simple cleaner" 
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Blown F-150

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:02:07 AM »
I did some random reading on the subject and came across a couple of household "fixes" for this issue. One was Windex...well I tried it and was surprised that it did take off some of the black, but very little after 1/2 an hour of spraying and scrubbing with a toothbrush I gave up.

The other was oven cleaner, this seems to me to be a pretty harsh solution, but I'm curious if anyone hear has had any experience. The only thing about it they said was to make sure it was the oderless, and lye free.

I will be calling the local Poorboy's tomorrow to see if they are open over the weekend so I can go grab a couple of things, I'm sure this will be the real way to go, but curious on your thoughts of the oven cleaner.

Offline Poorboy

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
I have heard of people using oven cleaner but would not use it myself .. it is harsh and made for paints that can withstand over 500 degrees of heat (ie oven) ... besides your wheels are no where near the point of no return
www.poorboysworld.com

* Recent Photos

IMG_0324.JPG

Views: 9
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal