* Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Which DA/KIT?  (Read 8671 times)

Offline 04Pj

• Café Member
Which DA/KIT?
« on: March 31, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
So, I'm closing in on ordering my first machine. I checked with a local shop and they want $200 for a Megs G110v2, with no pads and such.

So I want the best bang for my buk, around $200 bucks.

I like this one on AutoGeek.net

http://autogeek.net/hk7424.html

Then there is this kit...

http://autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-kit.html

Which I could probably buy with a little bit of suffering for a week or two.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
Re: Which DA/KIT?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »
Either one will be good. The 7424 is a good machine, and CCS pads are some of my favorite. 

The benefit of having a smaller backing plate would be nice as well, although you could always get that later. I've not used the 4" and smaller pads so I'll leave that to others.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:31:24 AM »
I personally like 5.5" pads on my PC. The 6.5" ones are ok on it, but a little large at times. Also, if the pads in the kit aren't the exact ones you want check out buying the machine and a pad set separate... could end up close to the same price.
LD

Offline 04Pj

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:16:23 PM »
I'm going with the kit for $225, seems as if it has everything I need.

Also found out I have a pressure washer with a soap gun in my garage, just saved me a lot of money lol!!!

Now, recommend me some productions for some paint correction and get me on my way!!! PLEASE!!!!

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
I like Meguiars, Obsessive Detail and Optimum products...
http://www.obsessivedetail.com/about.html
Find what you like and use it often....
The Rabbit Hole is very deep.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline 04Pj

• Café Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
So, after a week full of surprises, I got a tracking number on my PC 7424XP, and I realized I won't have any pads.

Now, here's where I need the help of some of the wise men.

I've got around 65 bucks to spend on pads. I have 0, so any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
For the PC, I'm a big fan of the Lake Country 5.5" pads. I'd suggest some yellow, white and black pads for starters. Several of our site sponsors have nice deals. I just received some more this week from Justin at Obsessive Detail.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
I would say 4" or 5.5" LC pads.  A few white pads, a couple black (sometimes called grey) and an orange or two are the most used pads probably. 

Tom, I'm surprised to hear you say yellow.  The yellow LC pad is pretty aggressive and a lot of people steer clear of it for the most part.  Any reason in particular?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:24:44 PM by ESF »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Obsessive Detail
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
I do all of my polishing with a white, orange, and gray pad.  I don't like they yellow pads since they cause a lot of hazing.  The 5.5 inch pads are probably the most popular pads for a da polisher.  The smaller 4 inch pads work really well too and are great for tighter areas,they also correct faster than the 5.5 inch pads.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:57:07 PM by Obsessive Detail »

Offline 04Pj

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:49 PM »
Hey Justin, I see on your site, I can get a 5.5 Orange pad for 8 bucks. You offer 3 for 19.99, would that apply if I were to separate the 3, and order a Orange, White and Gray pad?

I'd love to support your business, but Autogeek has 6 5.5 pads for 35, but I don't think I need 6 right now.

Thanks,

PJ.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:09:26 PM »
Yes, I can substitute the other colors for what you need, that won't be a problem at all.  Just order one color and let me know and I can change it out for you.

Don't forget you get a 10% discount on products, this gets it really close to AG's price.  Being a smaller business it is hard for me to keep up with the big dawgs on certain products, I try to give the best customer service as possible and try to give the best prices I can and still be able to make money on stuff.  My shipping is usually cheaper than most places on most products as well.

Offline 04Pj

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »
Yes, I can substitute the other colors for what you need, that won't be a problem at all.  Just order one color and let me know and I can change it out for you.

Don't forget you get a 10% discount on products, this gets it really close to AG's price.  Being a smaller business it is hard for me to keep up with the big dawgs on certain products, I try to give the best customer service as possible and try to give the best prices I can and still be able to make money on stuff.  My shipping is usually cheaper than most places on most products as well.

Understandable man, believe me, I know about the small business factor. Working in a granite shop for the past 3 years has taught me a lot about the big dawgs.

You've got my business, I'll be placing and order within the week. Probably tomorrow.

EDIT: I've just placed the order man, I'm not sure if you ship on Saturday, but I included a note in the paypal message.

Thanks man, thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:16:39 PM by 04Pj »

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 08:21:56 PM »
Thank you!  I really appreciate the business!

I sent you back your Cafe member discount plus some money back for shipping charges.  I do ship out through USPS on Saturday, so your order will go out tomorrow through USPS Priority, you should have it by Monday.

Offline 04Pj

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 08:29:13 PM »
Thank you!  I really appreciate the business!

I sent you back your Cafe member discount plus some money back for shipping charges.  I do ship out through USPS on Saturday, so your order will go out tomorrow through USPS Priority, you should have it by Monday.

You didn't have to man, you're doing me a favor by shipping so quickly.

Thanks again man, I can't wait to try them out.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:18:51 AM »
I would say 4" or 5.5" LC pads.  A few white pads, a couple black (sometimes called grey) and an orange or two are the most used pads probably. 

Tom, I'm surprised to hear you say yellow.  The yellow LC pad is pretty aggressive and a lot of people steer clear of it for the most part.  Any reason in particular?

Oops. I meant Orange. Brain fart after a hard week. Sorry.

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal