Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: American Racing Chrome Cleaner  (Read 11574 times)

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
American Racing Chrome Cleaner
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:29:01 AM »
How much do you guys know about AR Chrome Cleaner?  I have some questions.

In short, I've been using American Racing Chrome Cleaner and Wheel Wax and have been getting good results with the combination.  However, I'm a little discouraged about having to apply 2 products to my wheels every time I wash.  They are fairly hard to clean....lots of "hard to reach" areas.

Is it okay to use Chrome Cleaner by itself and only wax in the winter?  If not, shoud I use Meg's chrome polish in lieu of the cleaner product?.....just wasn't sure if polish would work as good.  The cleaner really seems to remove all "spots" from the rims...but at the same time, I don't want to damage my rims either.  Any help is appreciated.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: American Racing Chrome Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:46 AM »
I?ve never used AR Chrome Cleaner myself, but there?s lots of similar ?chrome polishes? out there and they really do help clean chrome plating and add some extra ?pop.? Remember, wheels live in a pretty awful environment with heat, brake dust, road grime, stone chips etc. That said, cleaning and protecting them is a tough, but necessary job.

When it comes to a second product such as the wheel wax you mentioned, things get a little stranger. Remember that tough environment I mentioned? Well, that environment  - particularly the high heat from braking - makes it even tougher for a conventional wax to survive. So when I try to protect my wheels, I generally apply some sort of synthetic sealant such as Zaino, Meguiar?s NXT 2.0, etc. to the wheels. Synthetics tend to hold up somewhat better in high heat environments.

So, do you really need either or both products? I?d offer that a good chrome polish is worth it to keep the wheels clean and looking good. Since you have American Racing wheels, you have chrome plating without any type of clear coat over them as one sometimes sees with factory chrome wheels. (Never use chrome polish on a clear coated wheel.) But, since a polish offers no additional protection, do you need to follow it up with another product? I?d say yes, and use a synthetic as I mentioned above. Although it doesn?t significantly increase corrosion resistance, it?s better than nothing at all.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:09:37 PM »
I?ve never used AR Chrome Cleaner myself, but there?s lots of similar ?chrome polishes? out there and they really do help clean chrome plating and add some extra ?pop.? Remember, wheels live in a pretty awful environment with heat, brake dust, road grime, stone chips etc. That said, cleaning and protecting them is a tough, but necessary job.

When it comes to a second product such as the wheel wax you mentioned, things get a little stranger. Remember that tough environment I mentioned? Well, that environment  - particularly the high heat from braking - makes it even tougher for a conventional wax to survive. So when I try to protect my wheels, I generally apply some sort of synthetic sealant such as Zaino, Meguiar?s NXT 2.0, etc. to the wheels. Synthetics tend to hold up somewhat better in high heat environments.

So, do you really need either or both products? I?d offer that a good chrome polish is worth it to keep the wheels clean and looking good. Since you have American Racing wheels, you have chrome plating without any type of clear coat over them as one sometimes sees with factory chrome wheels. (Never use chrome polish on a clear coated wheel.) But, since a polish offers no additional protection, do you need to follow it up with another product? I?d say yes, and use a synthetic as I mentioned above. Although it doesn?t significantly increase corrosion resistance, it?s better than nothing at all.

To clarify....don't you think AR Wheel Wax would hold up as well as the synthetics you discuss....especially considering that it is specifically designed for wheel application?  One would hope so anyways.

Secondly....if I make the commitment to wash, dry, clean, AND wax my wheels every time I detail the vehicle, do you guys have any tricks to note in order to save some time.  Again, my wheels are a little hard to work with when removing product.  I've already tried a Mother's Powerball and hated it...it didn't work well for me.  Actually, the Black Magic bullet looks like it would work great, but I haven't tried that yet.  Either way, I could spend close to 2 hours just on wheels if I have to continue doing everything by hand.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
I don't know anything about that chrome cleaner.  It's probably more of a mild polish so I would caution against using it too often.  People have gone through to the copper after a few heavy polishings.  It's best to maintain them the best you can.  Keep them clean by washing often (usually whenever you wash your truck) and try to keep some protection on them.  Any wheel wax should be a synthetic wax.  There are a couple metal polishes out that will clean, polish and protect in one step.  Optimum Metal Polish and Metal Rx are both examples.  That will cut some time down.  Another method to cut time down is to use something like the Powerball.  What didn't you like about it?  What size was it: Regular or Mini?  The Mini is a bit easier to work with.  Were you using a cordless drill or electric?  Cordless are easier to control speed-wise.  The Mini comes with an extension.  I haven't heard much about the Bullet but what I have heard isn't good.  I've heard it's not made well.  Another option is the PowerCone.  Again, I haven't heard much about it but atleast with this it's only been good things.  I've used both Powerballs before and the Duraball which is similar to the Powerball Mini but it has different types of foam.  the Duraball held up better than the Powerballs but both get chewed up pretty quickly.  I have the LC Wool Balls to try out now but I haven't gotten the chance to use them.  Another sealant you could use that's easier than pastes is Optimum Opti-Seal.  It's a wipe on product with good, long lasting protection.  No need to remove at all and a little goes a very long way.  Maybe use it bi-washly (is that a word?) or so. 

If they were mine, I would give them a good polish with Metal Rx or Optimum Metal polish.  While both leave behind protection I would still top it with Optimum Opti-Seal just for an added touch.  I wash weekly (my truck that is) and use whatever is left from the shampoo bucket after I'm done on the paint to clean my wheels (with a dedicated mitt ofcourse).  Then I'd hit them with the Opti-Seal ever wash or two.  Again, I wouldn't use polishes too often on them.  You really have no way of telling how thick it is.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 01:12:38 PM »
I don't know anything about that chrome cleaner.  It's probably more of a mild polish so I would caution against using it too often.  People have gone through to the copper after a few heavy polishings.  It's best to maintain them the best you can.  Keep them clean by washing often (usually whenever you wash your truck) and try to keep some protection on them.  Any wheel wax should be a synthetic wax.  There are a couple metal polishes out that will clean, polish and protect in one step.  Optimum Metal Polish and Metal Rx are both examples.  That will cut some time down.  Another method to cut time down is to use something like the Powerball.  What didn't you like about it?  What size was it: Regular or Mini?  The Mini is a bit easier to work with.  Were you using a cordless drill or electric?  Cordless are easier to control speed-wise.  The Mini comes with an extension.  I haven't heard much about the Bullet but what I have heard isn't good.  I've heard it's not made well.  Another option is the PowerCone.  Again, I haven't heard much about it but atleast with this it's only been good things.  I've used both Powerballs before and the Duraball which is similar to the Powerball Mini but it has different types of foam.  the Duraball held up better than the Powerballs but both get chewed up pretty quickly.  I have the LC Wool Balls to try out now but I haven't gotten the chance to use them.  Another sealant you could use that's easier than pastes is Optimum Opti-Seal.  It's a wipe on product with good, long lasting protection.  No need to remove at all and a little goes a very long way.  Maybe use it bi-washly (is that a word?) or so. 

If they were mine, I would give them a good polish with Metal Rx or Optimum Metal polish.  While both leave behind protection I would still top it with Optimum Opti-Seal just for an added touch.  I wash weekly (my truck that is) and use whatever is left from the shampoo bucket after I'm done on the paint to clean my wheels (with a dedicated mitt ofcourse).  Then I'd hit them with the Opti-Seal ever wash or two.  Again, I wouldn't use polishes too often on them.  You really have no way of telling how thick it is.

Good info man, thanks!  As far as the Powerball, I used the mini..with and w/o the extension and with a cordless drill.  In short, I didn't like it b/c it doesn't seem to be flexible enough.  I have a very deep chrome rim with a lot of "detailed" areas that are hard to get to.  In the end, I was quicker and more efficient just doing it by hand...and again, application of the product was fairly easy.  It's the removal that was a complete PITA.  In fact, I had to use a clean paint brush to get some of it off...areas that I can't even fit one finger.

I might have to look into the Opti-Seal..that sounds like a good compromise since it doesn't require removal.  Where can I get it?  Does Rick at ADS sell it?

So I guess the main question is what to use for a polish.  I don't know if I should stick with the AR cleaner or maybe try an actual polish.  All I do know is that there are usually always some bad spots that don't come off with water and soap, which means I'll have to utilize some type of cleaner during every detail...even if I just spot clean them.

Last question I just thought of.....what if I decide that I'm okay to live with spots and discoloration until it's time to clean/polish, which I could probably limit to a few times per year?  Will leaving such "spots" permanently damage the wheel if I don't remove them ASAP?  Thanks for the help; much appreciated.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
ADS does sell it.  I get all of my Optimum products from Justin at Obsessive Detail and The Rag Shack though.  As for sticking with the cleaner or using a polish, I would use Optimum Metal Polish or Metal Rx.  Both are mild polishes designed for metal with the benefit of protection.  That and I have a feeling that AR Cleaner is more of a polish anyway but I could be wrong. 

What exactly are these bad spots that don't come off?  Are they discoloring, brake dust...?
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
There is some spots where it seems like brake dust is leaving a "stain" that covers an area like the inside lip of a spoke.  There are also a couple of spots that basically look like little round dark spots.  There's no brown tint like you see from the brake dust; just looks like some dark discoloration.  The AR Wheel Wax really cleaned the rims up, but did not remove these discolorations.  The cleaner on the other hand pulled them right out w/ little or no effort.

What about Meg's chrome polish?  Do you not recommend it?  Just curious since I stick with Meg's like they're the only detailing product manufacturer in the world.  Makes shopping easier :)

Also, I noticed that Opti-Seal is mainly intended for paint..not chrome wheels.  You've used it on your wheels before, right?
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
I have used Opti-Seal on everything including my wheels.  I have a bad habit of not going back to my stock wheels for winter which requires a ton of work come spring to my polished aluminum wheels.  http://www.thedetailerscafe.com/smf/index.php?topic=1098.0  In that thread there I finished each wheel off with a coat of Opti-Seal.  Here is a link to Optimum's site, specifically Opti-Seal... http://www.optimumcarcare.com/oseal.htm?li=4

It's hard to say what the staining is.  It could be picked up from anything on the road.  A good coat of protection may reduce some of it. 

I don't have any experice with Meg's Chrome Polish.  I've used Mothers, Turtle Wax, English Custom Polishes, Metal Rx, Optimum, Heavy Metal, and how knows, maybe more but never Meguiars.  For the most part though, what I've found on chrome, is that they all work fairly the same unlike aluminum where some work better than others.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
I tried the ball and the power cone and for my wheels the cone beat the ball hands down.  The ball has to be forced in tight places making it tear up faster while the cone is better for wheels with spokes of some type and it actually tapers (narrower) as it spins in tight places.

Optimum Metal Polish also gets my vote.  It's very easy to use and it does leave behind lasting protection.  I collect coins and have a couple I keep in my pocket I play with frequently and whatever OMP leaves seems to still be on the coins after months of handling.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
Yeah my gut told me to buy the cone vs. the ball but I failed to acknowledge that at the time...hence a $20 complete waste of money IMO.  Granted, it probably works well on some wheels; just not on mine.

Is it okay to remove polish with the ball or cone?  Yesterday, it seemed to me as if the foam was quite rough and resistant, i.e. it did not glide easily.  I got worried real quick that I might dull the surface of my wheel...so I stopped.

Will definitely look into the Optimum products and make a decision.  I hate to throw away perfectly good AR product, but I don't know enough about it and most people don't use them.  I would feel safer using well known products as you guys have recommended.  My plan is to polish very periodically but protect after every wash...and the opti-seal would definitely save me some time in that scenario.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 03:21:12 PM »
I would only remove polish with a good microfiber towel. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
I would only remove polish with a good microfiber towel. 

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 04:24:14 PM »
Another thing to think about when you're polishing your wheels. From your description, it sounds like you have a somewhat intricate pattern. That would say that you also have a problem few people understand with plating. When you have sharp corners (inside or outside) you have what are called "low current density areas." These are areas where the plating doesn't "throw" well and you end up with less (or thinner) plating in those areas. That said, I'd go easy on polishing too aggressively near them.

Oh and by the way, ESF (as usual) has given you some great advice. I just had to find something he missed. As you can see, I had to go pretty far.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 05:32:16 PM »
Understood...I will take that into consideration, thanks.

I don't know what you would really consider "intricate"; it's basically a "5 spoke" rim with a bolt pattern around the outside ledge of the rim.  It's the bolts that are hard to get around, and they also have "ATX SERIES" engraved into one spoke.  The writing is hard to clean out as well.  I used a tooth brush :)  The backs of the spokes are sharp...so I'm going to use some finesse around those areas in the future.

Here's a pic for your entertainment pleasure.  Thanks to all for the advice.  I'm defintely an OCDer and do not rest until my detailing system and approach are tight for some reason.  :hp:

BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
Those look like a huge PITA!  Haha.  I love em though.  Those look killer.  I'm very picky about what wheels I like and I would not histate to run those. 

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal