General Category > Classic Car Photos and Discussions

Hopefully a new toy

(1/3) > >>

attworth:
So, I was gonna keep this cat in the bag until the deal was final, but I gotta get it out.

I've been wanting a realistic project for myself since...well, since I realized my Z wasn't a realistic project. I've scoured Craigslist, kept my eyes peeled on the side of the road, and have done a lot of day-dreaming.

My needs for a toy at present - Needs to have a back-seat. Needs to look "cool" (I'm young...) Needs to be somewhat safe. Needs to be somewhat reliable with general maintenance and such. Would really love a V8 (love the sound..) Would really like to keep a stick shift.

So, I found something that fits all of the above - and it's at a price-point and condition to make it a reasonable, realistic project.

Meet my *hopefully* new to me, 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 2-Door Hard-top

It's 100% original and unmolested. It's been in the same 10-15 mile radius its entire life (was even assembled in TX.) It has a claimed original 67K on the ODO. It has very little rust. Oh, and did I mention it runs?

Under the hood is a fair 302 mated to a 3-speed column shift. Rated at 240 horse in 1969. It runs decent, especially since it's been sitting for the past 7 years or so.

The interior needs work, but is all there.

The body is straight and true. NO rot. All trim is there and in fair condition.

The trunk is clean, clean, clean.. Only rust spot is in the corner due to a rug sitting in there for several years. It's still solid, just flaky and unsightly.

The work I KNOW the car needs - gas tank is dirty (lines probably too,) carb needs rebuilt or replaced, brakes are poor, tires are obviously trash, and then there's the cosmetics.

Anyway - I'd love to hear some thoughts. It should be a done deal mid-month.

:bike:

GreyMichFX4:
Now that is a cool project that I could get into Tony. :cheers: Are you going to keep the 302 or are you going to ditch it or stroke it? If it was me I would ditch the 302 find a 390 and do a mild to medium build on it and either convert it to floor shift manual or a built automatic and convert to disk brakes on all 4 corners but thats just me. That would also make an awesome sleeper because of the condition its in. Good luck!!

attworth:
I'll probably keep the 302 til it dies. Might run a 351w with a blower and 5 Spd down the line. They actually sell a 5 spd column shifter as well.

Sleeper status is the goal. :-)

GreyMichFX4:

--- Quote from: attworth on February 02, 2010, 10:11:27 AM ---I'll probably keep the 302 til it dies. Might run a 351w with a blower and 5 Spd down the line. They actually sell a 5 spd column shifter as well.

--- End quote ---

Nice that is going to be a fun car no matter what you do to it. I am looking for something since I sold my Mustang and I really have my heart set on a GTA Firebird or a Z28 if I can find one with the options I want.

attworth:

--- Quote from: GreyMichFX4 on February 02, 2010, 10:17:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: attworth on February 02, 2010, 10:11:27 AM ---I'll probably keep the 302 til it dies. Might run a 351w with a blower and 5 Spd down the line. They actually sell a 5 spd column shifter as well.

--- End quote ---

Nice that is going to be a fun car no matter what you do to it. I am looking for something since I sold my Mustang and I have really have my heart set on a GTA Firebird or a Z28 if I can find one with the options I want.

--- End quote ---

Now is a good time to buy. Some folks are desperate!

I appreciate the feedback. I'm real excited about it. First car I ever drove and changed oil on was my dads LTD - so it's fitting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version