1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Couple Questions about doing a detail..  (Read 11501 times)

Offline kingranchcoy

• Café Member
Couple Questions about doing a detail..
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
Hope everyone is doing good today! I just got in my portercable 7424xp and pads and some m105 and m205. Just want to make sure my steps are going to be right

Step 1 Wash
Step 2 Clay
Step 3 M105 with Lake Country Orange Pad
Step 4 M205 With Lake Country White Pad ??

Now here is where i think i am going to need some help..

What do i apply after 205?? I have alot of OTC products including Megs NXT 2.0 and Mothers Synwax and Collinite 845. Do i apply one of these or is there something else that i need to put on. My local Oreillys has a line of megs professional products and here they are
# 1,2,3,6,7,9,21,26,135,10,17

I was thinking after 205 it would be a good idea to put a good sealant on like megs M21 and then go with the mothers or the nxt2.0

Am i on the right track? Just trying to get my ducks in a row before i tackle this Job. Its suppose to rain tomorrow and Friday but saturday is going to be a great detailing day  :hp:

Thanks guys looking forward to your replies..  :Old Dogg?:

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
Re: Couple Questions about doing a detail..
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:31:41 AM »
Depending on how bad the paint is you could possibly get away with M205 on an orange pad first. I used this combo on my truck and was happy with the results I was seeing. Then you could do another pass of M205 with the white or gray pad to clean it up even better. If 205 doesn't get the job done then step up to 105. Also, let me know your thoughts on using M105 - haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet myself. Good luck!
LD

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:40:10 AM »
You have a good plan - The only suggestion I would make is to use 205 after the clay on a test area and see if it gives you the results you are looking for. If it does not remove the imperfections that you are after then go to the 105.

Rule of thumb use the least aggressive first if it works great, move on - if it does not work you can then use the next more aggressive product repeat until you get the results you are after.
 :hp:

Offline kingranchcoy

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
Thanks guys, after 205 do i need to put sealant on? Has anyone tried #21? then after the sealant put on the nxt 2.0.

Offline Robby32

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:04:26 PM »
After 205 I go to NXT 2.0 and then put Opti-Seal over that.

Received a can of Wet Obsession wax for Christmas - but due to the weather have not tried it yet.

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »
Robby, you're going to love that Wet Obsession!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.  It's been a while since I payed much attention to the Meg's numbers but 21 is basically the same as Nxt 2.0.  The only difference is 21 can be applied with a rotary so it it's workable at higher temperatures.  Using both won't get you any additional benefits.  If you're looking to stay with what you can get at your local O'Reilly's (is that spelled right, we don't have those around here) then if you really want to top the sealant with something, 26 is a carnauba wax that has good looks to it.  If you don't mind ordering thins online, like Robby said, Opti-Seal is a great sealant.  Very easy to use and has great durability.  There are a lot of great products out there to use.  Some easier than others.  Some last longer than others.  Some provide slightly different looks. 

I don't know how much experience you have.  Like leedriver stated,  you want to go with the least aggressive method first so you only remove as much paint as needed.  Start with the 205 and do a small test section (I like around an 18"x18" area) and check your work (preferrably in direct sunlight but halogens are another option without getting in to different lights).   Having some Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on hand mixed 50/50 with water in a spray bottle will help remove anything that might be left on the paint after polishing that may be hiding any defects. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline kingranchcoy

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Thanks for all this useful info, you guys are awesome  :nw: Im going to see if i can get some good pics of my truck tonite and go from there, Its not bad at all so i am thinking now that i can start with 205 and go from there. I got 2 orange 2 green 2 white and a red pad, i hope those will work!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:47:39 PM by kingranchcoy »

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
I agree with all that is said here, assuming you have the Lake Country Orange pad?

That sucker is agressive, I almost think you should try using the 205 with white first then jump tothe 105 with with the white before jumping to to the orange

Please note, when using those aggressive pads...you will notice some new marring that "may" show up as a result of the pad...you then step down polish it to remove that marring.   Just didn't want you to freak out if you saw the paint kind of dull after using that pad.

I would skip using the 21, it is tempermental and needs a lot of time to cure before toping.  Optiseal is a better sealant if you ask me or if you want to use some PB, EX-P is fantastic..I like to leave it on for about 45 min before topping if topping.

Can you you get some close up shots of your paint in the sunlight?  Another thing to think about is getting a Brinkman light...they are the most helpful tool in your bad.  I started using them in addition to shop lights...they are stronger and more concentrated so you can see more defects and how you are doing. 

Sorry to ramble....and i told you would get more "hands on" help here from seasonsed folks who know what they are talking about.

Cheers

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline kingranchcoy

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:59:09 PM »
Yes i have the lake country pads, i was told on the other forum to get the orange pads sounds like it may have been a mistake. I will get some pics of the paint in a few days its raining here now and will continue until saturday but come saturday i will get some sunlight shots. I was hoping to be able to use a quality sealant that is OTC so i dont have to order and wait for shipping.

I agree with all that is said here, assuming you have the Lake Country Orange pad?

That sucker is agressive, I almost think you should try using the 205 with white first then jump tothe 105 with with the white before jumping to to the orange

Please note, when using those aggressive pads...you will notice some new marring that "may" show up as a result of the pad...you then step down polish it to remove that marring.   Just didn't want you to freak out if you saw the paint kind of dull after using that pad.

I would skip using the 21, it is tempermental and needs a lot of time to cure before toping.  Optiseal is a better sealant if you ask me or if you want to use some PB, EX-P is fantastic..I like to leave it on for about 45 min before topping if topping.

Can you you get some close up shots of your paint in the sunlight?  Another thing to think about is getting a Brinkman light...they are the most helpful tool in your bad.  I started using them in addition to shop lights...they are stronger and more concentrated so you can see more defects and how you are doing. 

Sorry to ramble....and i told you would get more "hands on" help here from seasonsed folks who know what they are talking about.

Cheers

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »
21/26 is a good combo if i'm not mistaken.

I don't even own orange pads, I would definitely pick white up.
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
KRC....orange has a place but I gotta tell you...I used to jump to the yellow lake and orange like it was crack...however, there is always a time and place for each pad. 

I feel 200% more comfortable with a Lake PFW pad over an orange.

I know you have new stuff and you must be wanting to jump right in and give it a shot, but hold off if you can, lets have a look at the paint condition befor diving in. 

BTW, you are not too far from me in Keller TX....do you find yourself this way?   If so I would be more than willing to give it a look and or go at it with you.

RR

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
Yes i have the lake country pads, i was told on the other forum to get the orange pads sounds like it may have been a mistake. I will get some pics of the paint in a few days its raining here now and will continue until saturday but come saturday i will get some sunlight shots. I was hoping to be able to use a quality sealant that is OTC so i dont have to order and wait for shipping.

I can't really speak too much on 21 personally.  Only what I've heard and that is that 21 and 26 make a good combo.  I had to go check F150Online to see where you're from to see what vendors are in your area.  I order all of my Optimum stuff rom Justin at Obsessive Detail/The Rag Shack.  Any Poorboy's products I get directly from Steve himself as he's the closest to me and my orders arrive in one day.  Being from Texas, RollingRock may be able to better help you with a vendor should you want something you can't get local.  I checked Specialty Motorings website because I knew they were in Texas.  They ship FedEx which means residential deliveries on Saturday (but not Monday) standard delivery to Texas.  I assume you'd have to pay tax though on top of the shipping which sucks.  Specialty Motoring offers both Poorboy's and Optimum as well as others.

Specialty Motoring's Website

If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »
Take this for what it is worth, but I really dislike Megs 21....

EX-P or Optiseal are WAY better in my humble personal experience with all three of them  :)

Scott at SMP is a good guy to work with but he has been slowing getting out of the business I think...Steve at PB may know better.

Offline kingranchcoy

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 09:48:22 PM »
Im around Keller usually about a weekend out of the month. My sister in law lives in Saginaw and we always drive up to see her. That would be great to get some professional hands on advice. What happened was when i first got the truck i washed and waxed it every weekend and it was almost in perfect condition paint wise. well we live on a dirt driveway and i would spend hours detailing it and come out a hour later and it was covered in dust, also have alot of stray cats that like to track there muddy paws on my clean paint so needless to say i got to where i didnt clean it as much and would run it threw the car washes :dope:. After i saw the swirls that the car wash made it wants me to start getting the truck back to the way it should be and keep it that away, even if i have to quick detail it everyday.

KRC....orange has a place but I gotta tell you...I used to jump to the yellow lake and orange like it was crack...however, there is always a time and place for each pad. 

I know you have new stuff and you must be wanting to jump right in and give it a shot, but hold off if you can, lets have a look at the paint condition befor diving in. 

BTW, you are not too far from me in Keller TX....do you find yourself this way?   If so I would be more than willing to give it a look and or go at it with you.

RR

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 09:54:51 PM »
Im around Keller usually about a weekend out of the month. My sister in law lives in Saginaw and we always drive up to see her. That would be great to get some professional hands on advice. What happened was when i first got the truck i washed and waxed it every weekend and it was almost in perfect condition paint wise. well we live on a dirt driveway and i would spend hours detailing it and come out a hour later and it was covered in dust, also have alot of stray cats that like to track there muddy paws on my clean paint so needless to say i got to where i didnt clean it as much and would run it threw the car washes :dope:. After i saw the swirls that the car wash made it wants me to start getting the truck back to the way it should be and keep it that away, even if i have to quick detail it everyday.

RR

Well I'd say this is working out.....when is the next time you are gonna be around Saginaw? 

I am about 25 min or so away. 

would like to look at it...then you and I could hit it together, maybe we can get Attworth to show up and we'll get it done really quick.  LOL

* Recent Photos

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal