March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Aluminum polishing with PC xp  (Read 9616 times)

Offline 70 tt rustang

• Café Member
Aluminum polishing with PC xp
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
I want to polish my aluminum intercooler piping and my aluminum wheels. I wanted to know if i can use my pc and what pads would i use wool maybe and then step it down to a lighter pad maybe? Iam trying to get a mirror shine what product do you think i should use?
Maybe medal Rx or gliptone 3 step 1 2 and 3?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Aluminum polishing with PC xp
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
I've used a wool pad on the makita on diamond plate succesfully.  I might be difficut for wheels.  A polishing ball on a drill would be easier in tight spaces.  There's the mothers powerball, lc wool balls (5" and 3", poorboy carries them), justin used to carry something like the motherball - not sure if he still has any.  Metal Rx is cool as it leaves a later of protection behind.  Optimum metal polish works the same way.  There are lots of different polishes you can use.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
I think you'll find that a PC doesn't work as well as a rotary or a Flex on something like a wheel. The lack of what I'll call "forced rotation" on the PC - plus the relatively low pad speed - makes for a long day. I've always used my rotary and an older (throw away) foam polishing pad with various metal polishes and had good luck.

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 11:32:04 PM »
Yeah I tried using my pc on my aluminum gas tanks in the jet boat and it didn't work very at all.  I need to get a rotary!
You're only here for a little while, do it while you can.

Offline 70 tt rustang

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »
Ok thanks for the help, what kind of pads should i use with the rotary. And what brand rotary do you think i should get?

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 06:57:54 AM »
I'd recommend using the same pads you use for your PC - assuming you have something of a stash of them. I tend to use my 6.5" Meguiar's pads on my rotary and my 5.5" Lake Country pads on my PC. That's mostly to get a bit more pad speed out of the PC though.

As for what kid of rotary, I have a DeWalt and it operates well enough, but it's on the heavy side. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably get a Makita. Then again, I hear Flex has a killer new rotary out there that's even lighter. If you're only going to use it once in a blue moon to do your wheels though, Harbor Freight might just be good enough. Back when I was just using one on my poilshed aluminum wheels, that's what I used. Hope that helps!

Offline 70 tt rustang

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »
cool thanks for the help :nw:

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 02:56:48 PM »
I'd recommend using the same pads you use for your PC - assuming you have something of a stash of them. I tend to use my 6.5" Meguiar's pads on my rotary and my 5.5" Lake Country pads on my PC. That's mostly to get a bit more pad speed out of the PC though.

As for what kid of rotary, I have a DeWalt and it operates well enough, but it's on the heavy side. If I were to do it over again, I'd probably get a Makita. Then again, I hear Flex has a killer new rotary out there that's even lighter. If you're only going to use it once in a blue moon to do your wheels though, Harbor Freight might just be good enough. Back when I was just using one on my poilshed aluminum wheels, that's what I used. Hope that helps!

That Flex 3403? That thing gets hot as .... if you're using it for an extended period of time from what i've heard.

I have a makitia and i wouldn't trade it for anything
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline 70 tt rustang

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:39:32 PM »

That Flex 3403? That thing gets hot as .... if you're using it for an extended period of time from what i've heard.

I going to go with the makitia after the holidays. Do you know of a cheap place to get one?

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »
I could probably make you a sweet offer on my DeWalt. I just don't use it enough.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:25:20 AM »
I going to go with the makitia after the holidays. Do you know of a cheap place to get one?

I picked mine up from E-Bay this year for $100 shipped to my door and came with a bag and some cheap wool pads that I use for what you are going to do. Here are some pics of my Stainless Grill that I did with Metal Rx and my Makita.

Before

50/50

Done
Good enough never is

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
I have that same grill, and love it. mine needs serious help, though ..   

Did the Metal Rx do the job easily, or did it take some work?

================

Doug

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »
I have that same grill, and love it. mine needs serious help, though ..  

Did the Metal Rx do the job easily, or did it take some work?

It did the work pretty easily but I think that it would have been better had it not been hovering around freezing the day I did that. :hp: I love my grill as well it was a completion present to my self when I got the house done.
Good enough never is

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »

Someone here can help you with that.. I brought it from my snap on man.. you don't want to know what i paid  :redneck:

The dewalt is great for heavy oxidation work. But the no variable trigger and weight of that machine wouldn't kills it for me
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline 70 tt rustang

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »

I picked mine up from E-Bay this year for $100 shipped to my door and came with a bag and some cheap wool pads that I use for what you are going to do. Here are some pics of my Stainless Grill that I did with Metal Rx and my Makita.

Before

50/50

Done

wow it looks like you just took it out of the box

* Recent Photos

Picture 014.jpg

Views: 2
By: sscully

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards