1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Got a chance to play with the Griots DA for a while...  (Read 12552 times)

Offline Nick Chapman

• Café Member
Got a chance to play with the Griots DA for a while...
« on: November 29, 2009, 07:59:32 AM »
Man oh man! So much has changed since I started detailing! You guys that are just starting out now should feel very lucky with the tool/pad/products choices you have available to you now. I know, I know, back in my day.....up hill both ways, IN THE SNOW!  :cool:

Anywho, got a chance to play with the Griots DA for a while the other day, and I'm pretty impressed! Now just for the record, I have not played with the new Porter Cable XP unit or the new Meguiar's V2, so I guess take this with a grain of salt.
I had a vehicle that the customer needed done quickly. He had a buyer coming that evening to look at the car and wanted it looking as good as I could make it look in just a few short hours. Normally I'd tell him there was no way, but I felt like a challenge that day :cool: Keep in mind that this is 2pm, and the buyer was coming at about 6pm, and he was looking for paint correction work :wow: Figured this would be a great opportunity to put the Griots to the test. Broke out the trusty Meguiar's M105, then after testing a few pads I decided on the new Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan pad.

Here's what I had to start with...

After playing with the speed setting between 5 and 6, I decided on speed 5. The vibration was just too intense at speed 6. I even changed out the backing plate to Meguiar's new W68, and it helped quite a bit but it just didn't help enough for me to feel comfortable using it on speed 6. But even at speed 5 it was tough to slow this thing down! Very powerful motor! With most DA's in the past, you really didn't have to worry about getting the pad 100% perfectly centered. But I noticed a difference right away when my pad wasn't centered. A lot more vibration, felt more like a rotary does when the pads out of center. The shaft on this unit is pretty comfortable. I think it would be a lot better if they exteneded it about 1-2 more inches, but I know most would disagree with me on that. I just think this machine has a ton of power, and a bit more leverage would make it easier to handle, and might absorb a bit more vibration. The on/off switch is in a tough position for me. Maybe I'm just so used to DA's having their power switch on top, but it just felt out of place to have it on the side of the machine. Turning it off was a breeze, but turning it on was a bit more of a challenge with my hand placement when I'm buffing.

So after 1 single pass with the Griots DA, Meguiar's M105 and the new Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan pad, here is what I was left with.....

Not 100% perfection, but at least 80-85% better, and did it all in about 4 hours! The defects you see in the after shot is pitting in the paint.

All in all I really like this machine. Dispite my few little petty rants about it. It has tons of power! Most of it usable. I'd like to use it a bit more to see if I can manage speed 6. But all in all I'd give this machine 2 thumbs up! Dispite my petty complaints, it's a decent machine that will hold a place in my tool bag.

I was doing my final wipe down as the potential buyer was pulling up to look at the vehicle. Customer was extremely happy, and he sold the car right then and there!

Nick

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Got a chance to play with the Griots DA for a while...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:42:40 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Gipraw recently picked up one of these I believe.  Hopefully he likes it as well.  It's good to have more options.  What's the story behind the LC Cyan pad?  Seems like LC makes a lot of pads but none really make a lasting impression like the standard CCS and VC.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Nick Chapman

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 02:04:22 PM »
Thanks for the review.  Gipraw recently picked up one of these I believe.  Hopefully he likes it as well.  It's good to have more options.  What's the story behind the LC Cyan pad?  Seems like LC makes a lot of pads but none really make a lasting impression like the standard CCS and VC.

Not sure what you're asking. The new Hydrotech pads are pretty good. I've only had a couple of pad failures since they came out, but for the most part they are pretty reliable pads. Definately deliver quality results! Meguiar's are still my #1 choice, but just like tools and products, pads also work great on some vehicles, and not so hot on others. So it's good to have an assortment of choices! At last count, I believe I had a little over 300 pads!

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »
I guess I was wondering what makes it different than other LC pads. 

By the way, that's a lot of pads!
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:34:37 PM »
I'm utterly amazed with what you achieved with just one pass and M105. I'm assuming that the pad you used was not very aggressive and that's what allowed you to skip following the M105 up with something less aggressive?

Second question. What did you use for an LSP?

Nice work by the way!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »
Well boys, I saw the pad collection today...well at least most of it. 

Was at the shop with Nick today helping (and learning how to use the rotary)

I will post more on that later.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 11:22:43 PM »
Nice review!
Beautiful Work!

Not familiar with the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan pad...
Is it less or more aggressive than the White pad?
What type/year vehicle/paint was that?
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline Nick Chapman

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
I'm utterly amazed with what you achieved with just one pass and M105. I'm assuming that the pad you used was not very aggressive and that's what allowed you to skip following the M105 up with something less aggressive?

Second question. What did you use for an LSP?

Nice work by the way!

The Cyan pad is pretty aggressive. It's rated as a cutting pad. But in my experience, it finishes out pretty decent. The after picture was taken before any LSP. But I put some Meguiar's PRC151 on there before I left. This wasn't a high quality job, and the customer wasn't paying for high dollar products.

The car is a Toyota Avalon.

Nick

Offline Nick Chapman

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »

Allother foam pads are what they call "closed cell" design. LC started this new design called "open cell". They introduced them in a 2 pad collection. I'd post some links but I'm not sure of the rules around here, so I don't want to get myself in trouble. Just do a search or look around at some of the popular retail sites and you won't have a problem finding these pads. One is Cyan, and the other is Tangerine.

Oh and I absolutely HATE cleaning pads. So I just keep buying more and more. Eventually I'll sit down and start cleaning, but it usually takes most of the day.

Nick

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 10:33:24 AM »
The rules are pretty relaxed here.  Pretty much just keep it clean and friendly.

Thanks for the info.  I'll dig deeper.

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:50:38 AM »

Allother foam pads are what they call "closed cell" design. LC started this new design called "open cell". They introduced them in a 2 pad collection. I'd post some links but I'm not sure of the rules around here, so I don't want to get myself in trouble. Just do a search or look around at some of the popular retail sites and you won't have a problem finding these pads. One is Cyan, and the other is Tangerine.

Oh and I absolutely HATE cleaning pads. So I just keep buying more and more. Eventually I'll sit down and start cleaning, but it usually takes most of the day.

Nick

Theoretically, closed cell foam pads should be easier to clean that open cell - which would actually absorb material.

BTW, if you need somebody to clean your pads, I'm willing to start at the bottom and work my way up!

Offline Nick Chapman

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »

Theoretically, closed cell foam pads should be easier to clean that open cell - which would actually absorb material.

BTW, if you need somebody to clean your pads, I'm willing to start at the bottom and work my way up!

Don't make statements that you can't back up! If you say that you'll sit and clean my pads, then I WILL NOT turn down an offer like that! You my friend, just got yourself a job!  :clap: :cheers: :cool:

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
I gotta tell you TS, that's a crappy job with a terrible commute. 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
Nick isn't tell you guys the whole story here, while he played with the new machine he also got another one...the Flex Rotary...weights about 3 lbs....super quiet too.

Jealous for sure.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »

Don't make statements that you can't back up! If you say that you'll sit and clean my pads, then I WILL NOT turn down an offer like that! You my friend, just got yourself a job!  :clap: :cheers: :cool:

Well, I was kind of wavering until you offered to pick up my flights from Rochester, NY to Texas and the hotel and meals and all. That kind of sealed the deal! I'll tell you though, if I was closer, I'd clean toilets if I could get some hands on experience with folks like you. Come to think of it, what's JP doing to get the hands on experience? Hmmm.

* Recent Photos

p

Views: 1
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal