* Calendar

March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Winterizing Wheels  (Read 10723 times)

Offline Radio Wilco

• Café Member
Winterizing Wheels
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »
Hi guys.  I just joined last week and I appreciate all of the welcomes. 

I have an 09 TSX, coated stock aluminum wheels, with 2400 miles on it and have not yet done a complete wheel cleaning/sealing.  I'd like to get them ready for the Minnesota winter.  I plan on taking off the wheels/tires and doing a complete cleaning and detailing of the wells, tires, and wheels.  Thanks to this forum and others, I think I have a pretty good plan for the wells and the tires so I'm only looking for some help on the wheels.  I know how to clean them properly, (they are not very dirty)  so my question here is on sealants.

What would you guys recommend as the proper sealing technique to get me through a MN winter until next March or April?  I want to properly seal the outsides and the barrels.  I'm willing to put on as many coats as necessary and use any products you think will work best for me.  I do have some Megs NXT 2.0 on hand.

TIA

RW

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
Re: Winterizing Wheels
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
That's a tough one really.  Wheels experience the worst of the worst.  Extreme heat, brake dust, road grime, and in the winter you have salt.  You're going to want to clean them up really good.  If you're positive they're coated you can use something like Meguiars Wheel Brightener on them to get them clean.  There's really only one product that I can think of that will truly get you through a northern winter and not just anybody can get it.  It's Optimums new coating.  There are others that will definitely help though.  PB's Wheel Sealant comes to mind.  I've used Optimum's Opti Seal before.  Any of these will help but I feel confident saying none will go the distance.  You're best bet is to do your best to stay on top of them. 
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Radio Wilco

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
Thanks,

I know that nothing's going to completely get me through a MN winter properly...I just want to do the best I can to make spring detailing easier and keep the wheels in the best possible shape given my limitations.  I plan on adding a heater to my garage so ONR would be an option although I wouldn't have access to a water hose for wells, wheels, etc.  I'm going to keep on top of them the best that I can given the conditions.

I've read many positive things about PB's products except for the wheel sealant.  No first hand experience so I obviously can't say for sure.

Sorry for the noob question, but why can't I get Optimums new coating?

Since you didn't address the NXT 2.0, is this not a good choice for my application?

TIA guys!

RW

Offline CarCareDepot

• Detailing Supply Retailer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
It depends on the wheels, but I think any sealant would still yield a pitted barrel surface through your winter.  I just applied PB's wheel sealant to my wheels, but my car is going in for storage.  You should clean the wheels once a month at least (IMO). 

If you did want to go down the sealant path, I have a few and offer cheap 1-day shipping to most of MN. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:19:25 PM »
Honestly, I don't really have any experience with Nxt 2.0 which is why I didn't comment.  An option for the wheel wells is using your cleaning chemical of choice (Megs APC+ for me diluted either 10:1 or 4:1) at the local DIY bays.  You don't need to use their brushes or their soaps but they're nice to have for knocking major road grime off that is associated with winter.  Not a bad idea if the vehicle is really dirty and you want to remove what you can before bringing it home for an ONR wash.  As for Optimum's coating, it's just not available to the average joe.  As well it probably shouldn't be.  While similar to a wax, if not applied correctly you will know it and it will need to be buffed off.  Not simple to remove.  That's the word anyway.  I can't get it either but would love some for my wheels.  Obsessive Detail (member and online vendor) sells Optimum products and is active on the forum.  He would have more information on it.

Edit - My personal belief is that something is better than nothing.  Any carnauba waxes are going to be wasted as they just won't hold up to the heat wheels see. Synthetic waxes (Nxt 2.0 falls in to this category as does Opti Seal and PB's Wheel Sealant) will fair much better.  Again though, upkeep, regular washing, and maybe another application or two as winter progresses will help keep those wheels looking good.  This is coming from someone who SERIOUSLY dropped the ball last year on my polished aluminum wheels.  Talk about having your work cut out for you.  I'm definitely swapping back to stock this year.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:23:38 PM by ESF »
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
I always put Optimum Opti Seal on wheels.  Very easy to do and is pretty durable.

On my personal vehicles I have the new Optimum Coating.  As mentioned, this stuff is only available to professionals.  This products has a learning curve to it.  The Coating is basically a sealant on steroids, it is guaranteed to last at least 3 years and I've heard of a lot of testers getting close to 5 years.  You can put this on paint, glass, wheels, and exterior trim. 

I've had the coating on my truck for almost a month now.  On my wheels I can take a hose and spray of all of the brake dust without even agitating at all.  I've also noticed that bugs come off so much easier too.

Opti Coating comes in a 30cc syringe, but this will do at least 3 vehicles.  The cost is $90 for a professional detailing business.  A waiver also has to be signed in case of inproper application.

The application is very similar to Optimum Opti Seal, but with this you don't spray it on, you just squirt some from the syringe onto an applicator pad or microfiber towel.  You have to get this product on even if not you will be able to tell and the only way to get it off is too buff it with an abrasive polish.  I put it on a panel and let it start to haze a bit and then lightly buff off with a microfiber.

The Opti Coating looks very similar to Opti Seal, it gives some really nice gloss and some decent wetness to the paint.

I've been testing this out on a few vehicles to get the application down before I start putting it on my customer vehicles.  I going to start offering this service very soon and I will be charging $150 to apply the coating.

If anyone has any questions about the coating feel free to ask. 

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
Justin, have you tried Opti-Coating (is that the official name?) on non-coated, polished aluminum?  If I was closer to you I would gladly have you do my wheels for that cost.  Polished aluminum is a pain.

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 08:27:47 PM »
Well, when I talk to David from Optimum he calls it Opti Coat, I've heard some people call it just Optimum Coating.

I haven't used it on bare aluminum yet.  I have the coating on my chrome truck wheels and my wifes clearcoated wheels.  I need to find some polsihed aluminum wheels to try this out on, it should keep them looking good.  David from Optimum says that after you apply the coating, it is almost like adding another layer of clearcoat.

I forgot to add that this product sheets water like crazy!

As for the $150, that is what I'm going to charge to just put it on the paint only.  I've been trying to decide what I want to charge if someone wants their glass, wheels, and trim done too.  I will probably even offer a deal just for wheels.

Offline DLR Detailing

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »
Justin, have you tried Opti-Coating (is that the official name?) on non-coated, polished aluminum?  If I was closer to you I would gladly have you do my wheels for that cost.  Polished aluminum is a pain.

Road Trip!  :bike:  :clap:  :redneck:
"Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it." Henry David Thoreau

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »

:redneck:  How much do you think it would cost to ship 4 wheels and tires there and back?   :crazy:

Offline Obsessive Detail

• Obsessive Detail
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 08:38:40 PM »

:redneck:  How much do you think it would cost to ship 4 wheels and tires there and back?   :crazy:

A lot more than I would charge to put it on!

I'm going to give David a call tomorrow and see what he thinks about selling this product to a detailing enthusiast as long as they sign the waiver form.  There are a lot of people that don't have a business but detail on the side or do it as a hobby.  How many of you guys would be interested in this?

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
I'd be all over it.  I won't hold my breathe as I know it's not meant to be sold to everybody but if you make it happen I'm in.

Offline 05supercrew

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:56 AM »
I would definitly be interested. Just used Opti-seal on my car and truck last weekend, unfortunitly it rained 4 hrs after I applied it but both car/truck still looks great.

Offline Radio Wilco

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:20 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys.  I'm going to go with the Opti-Seal on the wheels.  I plan on putting on 2-3 coats and then maybe top it off with the NXT.  Optimum's web site says that you may top off the Opti-Seal with your favorite wax or sealant.

Do you guys think that my multi-coat plan is overkill?  If not, how much time would you give between coats?

Oh, and CarCareDepot, I have bookmarked your website for future reference.

Thanks again guys.

RW

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:44:11 AM »
Yeah Justin lets us know!
You're only here for a little while, do it while you can.

* Recent Photos

IMG_7547.JPG

Views: 3
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal