March 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: Cleaned and polished my wheels....  (Read 3494 times)

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
Cleaned and polished my wheels....
« on: July 14, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »
First, my truck has been in the garage for the last week while I've been cleaning it up.

I have chrome wheels that I polished using Meguiar's chrome polish, then I put a coat of PB wheel sealant on them. I drove it to my brother's place, about 20 minutes away, and when I got there the wheels were completely bronze.... Now, I think it was mainly the surface rust that was on the rotors since I haven't drove it in a while, but it couldn't have stuck to them any better!!

I guess I wasn't expecting to see them so dirty right after cleaning them, but who knows.... Maybe I just need to wash them off and I'll be good to go, but I haven't made it there yet.

Anyone else have this problem with PB wheel sealant??
LD

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
Re: Cleaned and polished my wheels....
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »
Washed my wheels since the first application of PB wheel sealant, and they are already just as dirty as they were before (after only driving about 50 miles).

I'm thinking that may have been my first and last time using the PB sealant... seems to make everything cling to my wheels like glue.

Any of you guys ever use DP Wheel Glaze or Wheel Wax?? They both mention anti-static properties, since I'm thinking the PB stuff is like static cling at this point....
LD

Offline Val3ntin0

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:56:33 AM »
I had the same problem when I used PB Wheel Sealant. I only did one coat of it and on the label it does say 2-3.....next time I wash the truck I'll actually do the recommended and see if there's a change.

Offline Boss_429

• Professional Detailer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:35:56 PM »
Washed my wheels since the first application of PB wheel sealant, and they are already just as dirty as they were before (after only driving about 50 miles).

I'm thinking that may have been my first and last time using the PB sealant... seems to make everything cling to my wheels like glue.

Any of you guys ever use DP Wheel Glaze or Wheel Wax?? They both mention anti-static properties, since I'm thinking the PB stuff is like static cling at this point....

leedriver... Make it easy on yourself. Pick up a bottle of Mother FX Spray Wax. After washing the wheels, mist on a little of the Spray Wax, spread it, and lightly buff with a good MF towel. The Spray Wax is a lot easier to use than the paste waxes. Plus, it will keep you wheels looking great between washes, and will provide all the protection you need between washes.

If you live in an area where salt is an issue during the winter, then it's advisable to use a more substantial product like one of the paste waxes mentioned. 
F
Boss_429

Least aggressive product first = The MOST aggressive process (product/pad/machine speed) that will get the job done by removing the LEAST amount of paint, with the LEAST amount of work, in the LEAST amount of time.

Offline leedriver

• Café Member
  • Detailing Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:44 PM »
As long as it doesn't make everything cling to them I'll give anything a shot. The pastes do take a while to apply and buff off for sure, and I can see where a spray would be much quicker...

I should mention that they are chrome. And, I do have salty winters here in OH but plan to run my factory wheels during those months.

Pretty good stuff though I assume Boss?
LD

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:17:33 PM »
I just wanted to toss out there that I use Chemical Guy's Wheel Guard Wheel Wax.  I applied it once when I got my wheels.  I put on one coat and left it.  It's been probably about 4 or 5 months since and water still beads right off them and I get very little dirt that clings to them.  They're extremely easy to clean with just car wash soap.  I do get some brake dust but nothing horrible.  Never had them turn bronze on me even after a couple weeks.  I do occasionally hit them with Optimum Car Wax just to for that little bit of edge.  My wheels are polished for the record.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

* Recent Photos

DSCN0365.JPG

Views: 3
By: GreyMichFX4

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal