April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: The New Family Car - "It's what the people want"  (Read 5536 times)

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
The New Family Car - "It's what the people want"
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:44:08 AM »
A lot of you have commented and made suggestions on my questions relating to buying vehicles. I appreciate all the helpful insight you've leant me.

As you may be aware, my wife and I recently bought a 1979 Jeep CJ-7. It's nearly finished, but time constraints have prevented us from making major headway on it since August or so. It'll get done, though!

In the meantime, we needed a new car. We've been driving a 1997 Ford Taurus with 175,000 miles on it. It had many problems, so I won't go into that. The most apparent problem was the inspection sticker dated 09-09, and the check engine light on the dash - again.  :dope: It was a good car but it was time to go.

The wife has always wanted a Volkswagen Rabbit. I've been telling her that we'll get one some day for about 3 years now. (We haven't been married that long, but I've been telling her.) With the 2010 Golf already state-side, we were running out of time.

We discussed new and used, and had pretty much set our minds to buying used. That is until we went to the dealership.

We picked up this gem for 2,000$ less than the MSRP. They paid our TT+L, and our first month's payment.

First impressions: (Mind you, I've never been up close to one of these.)

The car seemed have an attitude. I never thought I'd say this about a hatch back, but it looked down-right sexy. The subtle curves of the fenders, the slope of the roof, ending in a small spoiler. Add to the subtle curves, slopes and slender form a little bit of black - well, those who know me know how much I love black.

The first drive sold me. I let my wife drive first, so she could make sure she liked it. The Rabbit has a sort of confidence inspiring agility that really made me feel at ease in the passenger seat. She took command of the car, rather than letting the car control her actions. I really couldn't be happier about that.

Construction, fit and finish

German cars are known for their fit and finish, and general high-level of quality. The rabbit is no exception. Everything on this car seems to have been meticulously thought out, designed, implemented and then made to shine.

Ride quality

Most of the time when I think of a hatchback, I think of a rough riding, rattle box. I've found that the Rabbit's suspension provides a comfortable, forgiving ride - all while remaining sporty enough to enjoy the ride. This thing is fun to whip around the corners. Heck, even changing lanes is enjoyable.

(Background - Motorsports Ranch - Cresson, TX)

Engine and Transmission

The 2.5L 5-cylinder is a torquey little beast. No, it's not a blown big block - but it's down-right fun to hammer. The motor sounds healthy and strong from 2,500 RPM to the red-line. It's got an exotic sound to it and more than enough power to move through traffic.

The 6-speed slush box is smooth and seems to be geared just right for the sporty type driver. It has very little hesitation and is more than happy with the red-line. It's a little difficult for me to get used to an auto, but I'll manage. It has a stick mode, but we haven't played with it much.

Final Thoughts

The Volkswagen Rabbit is the best bang for your buck in the compact car market. We looked at nearly every compact out there. In the end, the quality of materials and workmanship apparent in the Rabbit is what made the sale. Everything else about the car is extremely enjoyable. We feel at home in this car.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. If you didn't, that's ok too. Enjoy the pictures.

Offline 70 tt rustang

• Café Member
Re: The New Family Car - "It's what the people want"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 08:02:34 AM »
good luck with her i had a mk2 golf it treated me good

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
My first car was a 1979 VW Rabbit...good little car. 

Congrats, you'll love it.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »
My first car was a 1979 VW Rabbit...good little car. 

Congrats, you'll love it.

Thanks! So far we love it. Carefree maintenance for 3/36 is a pretty sweet deal as well.

Just need to  :hp: - it came with factory installed swirls of course.

Offline GreyMichFX4

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »
Congrats on the new car Tony. :cheers: Yeah my wife's car still has the dealer installed swirls on it I suppose I should really do something about that since winter is going to be here soon. :redneck:
Good enough never is

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 03:39:01 PM »
good looking little car.  congrats ..

================

Doug

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
tony, those pictures...is that the development off of 30 or 820?

kind of looks like somewhere near the base too.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 07:45:38 AM »
Sorry. Been having some medical issues.

A few of the shots were taken near Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. The rest were taken on a back road in Granbury.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 07:48:10 AM »

A few of the shots were taken near Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. The rest were taken on a back road in Granbury.

What kind of medical issues?  I may have a job for you but if you are down and out, don't worry about it.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »

What kind of medical issues?  I may have a job for you but if you are down and out, don't worry about it.

Doc is leaning towards a UTI, but is sending my urine for culture. Should be cleared up in a few days though. Nothing major, just kind of debilitating for the last few days.

Offline attworth

• Charter Member
  • 867-5309
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
ONR = Crack Cocaine.

Here's some pics of the wabbit after an ONR bath (thanks RR for the sample!)

Took about 30 minutes. Awesome!

* Recent Photos

Forum jpg.jpg

Views: 4
By: Robby32

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal