1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Getting tough dust off of chrome ??  (Read 10028 times)

Offline Bigmoss

• Charter Member
Getting tough dust off of chrome ??
« on: August 06, 2009, 09:50:45 AM »
How are you guys getting tough brake dust off of your chrome rims ? Mine front 2 rims get allot of brown brake dust of them especially with all the rain we have had it helps it stick. It cleans off with a good mitt and soap but leave like a stain on the rim, how are you guys getting it off ?
2008 F150 Screw Lariat
2008 Mercedes CL500

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
Re: Getting tough dust off of chrome ??
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
There are several liquid / spray "wheel brighteners" out there that will do the trick, but I don't like using acid on a regular basis. One can use a metal or chrome polish after washing, but that's more work and mildly abrasive it its own right.

Believe it or not, the best way around this messy problem is to simply replace the brake pads. I went with the Wagner Thermo Quiets a while back all the way around and am very happy. Much less dust.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:22:42 PM »
How are you guys getting tough brake dust off of your chrome rims ? Mine front 2 rims get allot of brown brake dust of them especially with all the rain we have had it helps it stick. It cleans off with a good mitt and soap but leave like a stain on the rim, how are you guys getting it off ?

Just so you know.....I haven't used Meg's chrome polish yet...but I used some American Racing Chrome Cleaner yesterday.  I took off what I thought would be permanent discoloration.  Worked great.

I agree with Too Stroked though.  Using an acidic cleaner on a regular basis might not be good for the wheel.  Same with abrasive polishes.  I think my plan moving forward is to first change my brake pads, get the wheels really clean and polished...and only wax them on a regular basis to protect them.  Maybe clean and/or polish a few times per year as needed.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 05:03:19 PM »
BigSur you drive a F150?  I ask b.c you said brown so that a give away.

Like TooSTroked said, there are many cleaners out there

What I like to use are Megs APC+ or Megs Wheel Brightner...there are a few tricks to useing both and a few gotcha's (don't ask me how I know)

My wife has an EXPY and as soon as I am able we are swaping the pads out on that sucker too.

When you land or check back let us know if you want more help on the cleaners while you consider getting new pads....   :cheers:
Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
Yup sure do....2006 Lariat Scab (current F150 Onliner as well).The brake dust on that thing is a killer man, it's crazy.

Thanks for the help, and will do.......IF I land.  Still at the airport waiting on a late flight.  I so love traveling for work  :bitch:   
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
If you want a hint - based on personal experience on my former 2005 F-150 - try some Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. Trust me on this one.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 10:55:36 PM »
If you want a hint - based on personal experience on my former 2005 F-150 - try some Wagner Thermo Quiet pads. Trust me on this one.
When my Hawks wear out (60K and counting) im going to have to try those Thermo Quiet Pads.  Im very disappointed at the amount of dust the Hawks make (were supposed to be low dust) on the front but they have exceeded my expectations on performance, noise and longevity.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 06:07:07 PM »
How much does a set of those Wagner's run?  Might make that change REALLY soon.  Might do the install myself though.  Tired of shelling out $$$ for labor.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »

TS, where did you get your Wagner's from?  Are they ceramic pads?  I'm getting these stock pads pulled off next week.  It's time.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
  • OCDer formerly known as ESF
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
I've seen them before at Monroe but that's probably only if they do the labor.  Other than that I think Car Quest sells them.  I've never seen them anywhere else.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
Haven't heard of either vendor.  I'll look into car quest though.

Might just go the ceramic route.  They're basically dust free but they wear the rotors quicker. 
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
Monroe is a chain that does oil changes and muffler work.  I thought they were larger than just around here.  Maybe not.  I don't have any Car Quests around me either but I know that's where a lot of people buy theirs at.  I've only ever seen two car Quests and they were both when I was in another town on work.
If you always do what you\'ve always done, you\'ll always get what you\'ve always got.

Offline 05supercrew

• Café Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I have the TQ ceramics on my 05 F150 screw and they worked great but dont expect dust free. Ive heard also that the semi metallic pads make less dust then the ceramics. Dont hold me to that since I cant compare mine to anyone elses. I also have slotted and dimpled rotors and 33" tires. I was told that the slotted rotors act like cheese graiters to your pads. If I remember correctly I paid $130 for all 4 corners.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 03:47:50 PM by 05supercrew »

Offline BigSur

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 04:02:05 PM »
Just found the Wagner's at my local Advanced Auto for $60 a set.  My dealer will install them.....including turning my rotors for $90.  Doing it. 

Anybody think I'll have issues if I don't replace the back brakes simultaneously?  Just had them checked not too long ago and they were good to go.
BigSur
Tidewater, VA

Offline Kitzy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
For what it's worth, I've heard the same thing about Semi Metallic pads.  That's what I run. 

I wouldn't worry about the back as long as they're in good shape. 

* Recent Photos

02191700.jpg

Views: 1
By: kengi1600

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal