April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

No calendar events were found.

TDC is growing!  Tell your friends to visit and join up! 

Author Topic: New guy needs alot of help  (Read 9142 times)

Offline mntnbike1

• Café Member
Re: New guy needs alot of help
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »
Nice.......... thanks RR.  So if I used a 205 would I use a white pad here also?  And how many pads does one typically go through on a truck?

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 12:02:09 AM »
Nice.......... thanks RR.  So if I used a 205 would I use a white pad here also?  And how many pads does one typically go through on a truck?

I would either use a white polish pad or a black finish pad.  I forgot to mention that when i use 105, I typically use a PFW pad, but have used with a white Lake a few times. 

Hard to answer your question on pads per car...after I hvae done my "tests" on the car and settle on a plan, I use a pad for correction, another for polish and another for burnish or sealer etc.

Usually it I count around 5-6 pads after tests. 

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline mntnbike1

• Café Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:56 PM »
Maybe Ill start by getting 3 orange,  3 white,  3 black and a couple of the purple wool.  Anybody see me needing more than this?  I am trying to get everything in one order.     So.............after the 205 I can top it with an LSP?   Any recommendations would be good.                            I am starting to feel like a wife who asks to many questions!

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
Maybe Ill start by getting 3 orange,  3 white,  3 black and a couple of the purple wool.  Anybody see me needing more than this?  I am trying to get everything in one order.     So.............after the 205 I can top it with an LSP?   Any recommendations would be good.                            I am starting to feel like a wife who asks to many questions!

That's too many orange pads.  I find I use mainly these pads

PFW
Green
White (I have 7 of these)
Black
Blue

Red, wish I had some. 

If it were me, I would get 1 Orange, 1 Green, 3 White and 2 Black and 1 Blue and 2 PWF pads.

Thats a lot of pads but you will use them...

Offline mntnbike1

• Café Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:14 PM »
Good advice.  And these would all be Lake Country smooth pads? 

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Good advice.  And these would all be Lake Country smooth pads? 

Good question, that depends on the machine. 

I have both CCS and VC pads...find myself using both but mainly with the Flex.  For a DA, I use the 4" pads...

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »
If that is Ford black 04 or newer I know it well.

Im a newbie of sorts with 4 months experience.  I bought the G110 in March and after nearly 50 hours of use I consider myself proficient.

If I could do it over again I would have started out with the Flex.  A DA or PC can go just about anyplace on the vehicle surface safely.  The Flex can too but just not easily.  With the extra torque it works you harder but you work less time than with a DA.

Pads:  If you go with the Flex you probably will not need many heavy cutting pads.  From your photos orange pads are the strongest and the fewest you will probably need on your truck.  For tight places you need some 5.5" and after you get experience even 4" pads.
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:47:44 PM by Old Dogg? »
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline mntnbike1

• Café Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 10:51:47 PM »
I will be using a Flex also.  I was thinking the smooth or solid pads.  

It must be the horror thread I read a while back.  A memeber was posting how he was inducing more scratches and swirls when trying to correct.  Somebody thought the abrasives were getting stuck in the pockets and drying..........?   I  dont think there was ever a conclusion to his issue.

Offline mntnbike1

• Café Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »
Thanks for the input Old Dogg.  I have been pondering the Flex buy over the PC way to long.  Definite reassurance.  Now I have to decide sizes.  Isnt there a 4 inch adaptor for this thing somewhere?   I'll have to research that also.

Offline Old Dogg™

• Café Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the input Old Dogg.  I have been pondering the Flex buy over the PC way to long.  Definite reassurance.  Now I have to decide sizes.  Isnt there a 4 inch adaptor for this thing somewhere?   I'll have to research that also.
No smaller backing plates yet.  Some also claim that when using diminishing abrasives you get more work time with the pockets but if you press the pad on the surface firm enough it flattens out anyway.
I have used both and with pockets waxing is much easier with CCS pads but im moving away from them to flat.
You can make money or you can make excuses but you can't do both.

Offline mntnbike1

• Café Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone.  I have many many more questions, but I probably need to start more specific threads for them.  But good info and thanks again.

* Recent Photos

IMG_7565.JPG

Views: 5
By: Rollingrock

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal