1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.

The Cafe is OPEN
Detailing today? Check the Weather  http://www.weather.com/

Author Topic: Engine bay cleaning and dressing question  (Read 9282 times)

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
Engine bay cleaning and dressing question
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:56:44 PM »
Ok,

To those that happen to catch the tip on F150ol about using an pump sprayer to clean the engine bay (Which I thought was a great idea) here is taking it one step further.

How effective would ONR be as a cleaner in the bay if used in a pump sprayer?  Pre soak it then maybe use a old MF to wipe down...then air dry and dress with HD....

Or

APC+ cut in a pump sprayer then rinsed the same way? 

The reason i am asking is to me to do the engine it has to be one of the first things you do...if you do after or between details you run the risk of making the LSP break down and run.  I have seen what APC+ can do to an LSP on the truck.  It was freaky and ended up having to start over.  Lesson learned that is for sure.

Thanks for visiting the Cafe, come back often.  There's always something new!

Offline Mike2301

• Café Member
Re: Engine bay cleaning and dressing question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
I use Power clean and then wipe it down with onr and a microfiber. The small pesticide sprayers work great, maybe use distilled water in it if you're too lazy to dry?
A Perfect Shine Everytime!

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 05:28:26 AM »
I've used a garden / pump sprayer ever since I caused all sorts of havoc in one of my previous F-150s with "standard" engine bay cleaning techniques (like those recommended in the Owner's Manual!) about 8 years ago. I had been using dilluted Simple Green in a small spray bottle to start with, then clear water for a rinse from the pump sprayer, followed up by whatever towel I wanted to throw away next. And yes, I always start with the engine bay first if I'm going to do one, or I use blue painters tape and several plastic drop cloths to close off the rest of the vehicle.

As for using ONR, that sounds like a super idea!

Offline Tdub

• Café Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:08:11 AM »
Yeah you definitely have to be careful with the 5.4/4.6 engines.  I just cleaned my 5.4 in the Harley the other day and serious issues.  Turns out one of my coil packs had a small hairline crack and water got in and shorted it out.
You're only here for a little while, do it while you can.

Offline Poorboy

• Detailing Supply Retailer
    • Poorboy's World Detailing Products
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:12:52 AM »
I second that ... never had much luck with water and Ford engine compartments ...be careful !!!

I use Bold N Bright (which has cleaners) and then just shoot areas I want to clean and wipe them with old cotton towels ... engine compartment is clean and dressed in one step ..
life is short ..do it while you can
www.poorboysworld.com
www.ultrafinish.com/store  (**new microfiber only site)

Offline todbnla

• Café Member
    • My cars
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »
On my 2000 Expy I learned a trick from the FTW (ford truck world) forum I used to hang on, it was to use the cheap walmart brand bathroom spray cleaner, like scrubbing bubbles but the wal mart brand, spray on a cool engine or warm, just NOT hot, let soak for a few mins then rinse off with normal garden hose, no high pressure nozzle and cover up what ever you feel uncomfortable leaving uncovered, then dry off w/leaf blower or compressed air. Last step of this I learned on autopia.org, once dry, spray down with cd2 then let dry, looks amazing.  YMMV  :hp:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:40:02 AM by todbnla »

Offline Sean

• Café Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 11:31:11 PM »
Ok,

To those that happen to catch the tip on F150ol about using an pump sprayer to clean the engine bay (Which I thought was a great idea) here is taking it one step further.

How effective would ONR be as a cleaner in the bay if used in a pump sprayer?  Pre soak it then maybe use a old MF to wipe down...then air dry and dress with HD....

Sorry Guys for bringing up a thread that is over a year old.  Trying to figure out the best way to clean the engine bay.  I am taking my 2009 Mustang to my first car show in October and I want to make sure the engine bay is spot less, along with the rest of the car. 

Have you found this technique to be effective?  ONR is Optimum No Rinse as far as I can tell.  You then mention pre soak it...  Do you mean to spray the engine down with water first, then spray with ONR?  What is HD, I can't seem to find a reference to it in the Detailing Acronyms thread. 

Thanks for helping me out.   

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 11:42:23 PM »
Ok,

Sorry Guys for bringing up a thread that is over a year old.  Trying to figure out the best way to clean the engine bay.  I am taking my 2009 Mustang to my first car show in October and I want to make sure the engine bay is spot less, along with the rest of the car. 

Have you found this technique to be effective?  ONR is Optimum No Rinse as far as I can tell.  You then mention pre soak it...  Do you mean to spray the engine down with water first, then spray with ONR?  What is HD, I can't seem to find a reference to it in the Detailing Acronyms thread. 

Thanks for helping me out.   

Sean this is what i would do.   But before you read anymore, myself or the cafe are NOT responsible for anything bad that "could" happen using the following suggestion. 

Click ok to continue.  :)

I would take a totally cold or cool engine bay, and spray it down with APC+  4:1, allow to dwell for a few min, then hit it again with another round of APC+ then allow to dwell for another min or so....then I would take a LOW pressure shower head nozel and spray rinse down.  An added step would be to take a totally soft cheap brush and while the APC+ is dwelling aggitate the tough areas with that brush or put on a set of rubber gloves and have an old POS MF soaking in a APC+ solutions and use it to get to the nooks and crannies.  Rinse and start the car to ensure you ddin't jack someting up.  Avoid high pressure around heavy electronics areas. 

Just leave the hood open and run the car for a few min....then turn off motor, and while the engine is still wet, pound it with HD.   I would also saturate an older POS MF with HD and wipe down the underside of the hood.   

Shut the hood and then WASH the car b/c you will now have APC+  vapor and spray droplets on the paint.  If it gets ont he paint it will eat any LSP you have on the paint.  This is why when doing a detail like that, I always do the engine bay first.  Then wheels then wash the car. 

Does that help?

Just remember, pending the spray head you use, APC+ and HD droplets carry in the slightest wind....

Offline Too Stroked

• Café Moderator
  • Don't just be good at what you do - be the best!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 05:00:44 AM »
And "HD" is Meguiar's Hyperdressing. Good stuff!

Offline Sean

• Café Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:36:30 AM »
Thanks guys, I promise not to hold anybody on this forum responsible!  I guess I better put in an order for some APC+ and HD.  The engine bay is not real dirty considering it has less than 7000 miles. 

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
Sean .. if you don't want to order whole gallons of HD and APC+, let me know .. I can fill up a couple of spray bottle for you, already diluted tio the proper ratio,  which should last you quite a while.

I clean my engine bay with old MF towels, and QD, or degreaser, and a lot of time ..

================

Doug

Offline Sean

• Café Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
Thanks Doug.  I order the 32 oz sampler of each this morning from ADS along with a few other goodies.  :cheers:

Offline gipraw

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
nice.  make sure you follow the mixing ratio correct on the APC+ ..  it can be dangerous to things at full strength

================

Doug

Offline Sean

• Café Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »
I am assuming the 4:1 ratio mentioned by Rollingrock is 4 parts APC+ to 1 part water, this seems like you are barely diluting it.  Or is it the other way around?:dunno:  Don't :beat: me to hard if I am asking a stupid question.

Offline Rollingrock

• Administrator
  • Milk was a bad idea.
    • The Detailer's Café
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
I am assuming the 4:1 ratio mentioned by Rollingrock is 4 parts APC+ to 1 part water, this seems like you are barely diluting it.  Or is it the other way around?:dunno:  Don't :beat: me to hard if I am asking a stupid question.

No that would be 4 parts water 1 part product.   

Its strong chit.

* Recent Photos

2014 V6 Coupe

Views: 1
By: gipraw

* Recent Topics

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

* Top Boards

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal